• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl Winning QBs

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st Round = 27 (Dawson, Namath, Griese2, Bradshaw4, Plunkett2, McMahon, Simms, Williams, Aikman3, Young, Elway2, Dilfer, Roethlisberger2, Manning, Manning2, Rodgers, Flacco)
2nd Round = 3 (Stabler, Favre, Brees)
3rd Round = 5 (Montana4, Hostetler)
4th Round = 1 (Theismann)
6th Round = 4 (Rypien, Brady3)
9th round = 2 (Unitas, Johnson)
10th Round = 2 (Staubach2)
17th Round = 2 (Starr2)
Undrafted = 1 (Warner)

Unless the guy is Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Roger Staubach, or Bart Starr. Draft a 1st round QB if you want more than one Super Bowl.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be interesting to put that list up against how many QBs drafted in the 1st-7th rounds didn't win a Super Bowl. Know what I mean?

It looks like a no-brainer when you only consider the success stories, but something tells me the odds are 1 in 10, or worse, that your 1st round QB wins a Super Bowl. Probably at least 50 guys taken each decade in the 1st round who don't win a SB.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The full story leads to the opposite conclusion.

Only 21 Superbowls have been won by a team led by a QB they drafted in the first round (and I'm including Elway even though the Broncos didn't really draft him).

Dawson, Plunkett, Williams, Young and Dilfer were all drafted by other teams, and were picked up off the scrap heap after being considered failures.

So more teams win Superbowls by NOT drafting a QB in the first and instead either taking one late or finding some other team's castoff.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only 21 Superbowls have been won by a team led by a QB they drafted in the first round (and I'm including Elway even though the Broncos didn't really draft him).

So almost half of the SB's have been won by a QB drafted in the first round. Sounds like it's a good idea to have one.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So almost half of the SB's have been won by a QB drafted in the first round. Sounds like it's a good idea to have one.

The NFL agrees with you. Only seven teams don't have one (the Redskins, Giants, Browns and Seahawks have two.)

Happily for those seven teams without one, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, JP Losman, Matt Leinart, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey and Jamarcus Russell are all still in their prime and just a phone call away.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The full story leads to the opposite conclusion.

Dawson, Plunkett, Williams, Young and Dilfer were all drafted by other teams, and were picked up off the scrap heap after being considered failures.

So more teams win Superbowls by NOT drafting a QB in the first and instead either taking one late or finding some other team's castoff.

That is 100% Wrong.
Len Dawson was drafted by a Horrible Steelers team, before he could even get his feet under him the Steelers Traded For Hall Of Famer Bobby Layne. Because the Rookie/2nd year guy could not beat out the Hall of Fame Vet, he was traded to Cleveland. Cleveland just did not play him. He only complete 21 passes. Cant suck if you cant get on the field. Of course the FIRST year on the Texans he leads the league in Yards and TDs.
His first starting job, and he led the league in Yards and TDs!!!
He was also named AFL MVP.

Williams led the Expansion Bucs to 3 Playoffs. Then went to the USFL. When they folded went to Washington and won a Super Bowl.

Young was on a horrible Bucs team that was traded to SF. To say Young was a Failure and on the scrap heap makes ZERO Sense.

Dilfer, lead the Bucs to 2 playoffs, and was not resigned because the Bucs though Shaun King was something. He wins a Super Bowl the year he left.

Failures do not have Multiple Playoff Games under their Belt.

What this shows is Teams need to stop being so dam reactive to everything and practice patience.

The Steelers, Pats, Bucs and Bucs all could have had super bowls Much earlier if they stuck with their QB.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why not sign somewhere where they could start? (Okay, Dawson pretty much did, but not the rest.)

Mind I said they were "considered" failures, not that they were actual failures. They could be had cheap (cheaper than a first-round pick) when their SB teams signed them. Walsh for example figured it was the Bucs who were bad and not Young, when not a lot of teams wanted him. Dilfer maybe wasn't considered an outright failure, just a below-average NFL QB and an OK game manager (and he's still considered that). Williams started his NFL career nicely, but by the time the Redskins took him he was a below-average USFL QB.

Five active first-round QBs have won Super Bowls - the oldest draftee being Peyton Manning in 1998 and most recent being Flacco in 2008. There were 27 first-round QBs drafted in that period, so 22 haven't gotten it done (and only ten of those are still in the league).

Bucs did okay unloading Dilfer and ending up with Johnson.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why not sign somewhere where they could start? (Okay, Dawson pretty much did, but not the rest.)

Mind I said they were "considered" failures, not that they were actual failures. They could be had cheap (cheaper than a first-round pick) when their SB teams signed them. Walsh for example figured it was the Bucs who were bad and not Young, when not a lot of teams wanted him. Dilfer maybe wasn't considered an outright failure, just a below-average NFL QB and an OK game manager (and he's still considered that). Williams started his NFL career nicely, but by the time the Redskins took him he was a below-average USFL QB.

Five active first-round QBs have won Super Bowls - the oldest draftee being Peyton Manning in 1998 and most recent being Flacco in 2008. There were 27 first-round QBs drafted in that period, so 22 haven't gotten it done (and only ten of those are still in the league).

Bucs did okay unloading Dilfer and ending up with Johnson.

I think the reason why so many QBs get taken in the 1st round is those Stats. Trent Dilfer is a perfect example, he was drafted #4 overall (I think, maybe #6), and he was Way Overrrated. But he was still a decent starter. Way Overrated 1st round picks can still produce. Whereas overrated 2nd and 3rd round QBs are not even in the league.

The huge gap between 1st round QBs and 2-3rd round QBs is astounding. IMO that is why you have so many QBs being reached for in the 1st.

When you add names like, Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Matt Ryan, Alex Smith, Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Steve Mcnair, Donavan McNabb. Those who never won Super Bowls but were great QBs at one time, helps force Teams to draft QB in the 1st round.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the case of Kurt Warner, I don't know why more NFL teams look to the arena league for QBs. What made him so successful, IMO, was that he had a very quick release. And he attributed that to playing in the AFL, where you had to get rid of the ball quickly and be very accurate.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many SB champs had a starting LT drafted after the first three rounds... I bet almost none.

The restraint in drafting QBs this year was kinda refreshing.

By the way, 7 of those 17 first-round SB-winning QBs were #1 picks (and 11 were top-five).

So the first step in winning a Super Bowl, apparently, is to be really, really bad.