• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL 100 team - QB (8 spots left....)

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would you pick instead.....Roger's? I'm not sure they pick both. I honestly though Brees because the commercials for this episode pans a shot of him in every variation of the commercial.
I'm really just guessing after Manning...

The guys I bolded in my original response were the guys I selected - for whatever reason, I flipped Starr with Staubach in my predictions but got every other correct.

As for Brees....this is how I look at it. People today are so fixated on stats given all this nex gen shit and fantasy football, and the rules have completely changed in favour of passing offenses, that it's practically impossible to compare numbers. Forget about the 'dead ball' era in the mid 70's....you can't compare the numbers today with the game 20 years ago, which couldn't be compared to the game 30+ years ago, which couldn't be compared to....

Brees is great - but he's mostly been lucky to really start his career when passing offenses really started to take off. Then again, take a look at his numbers, as well as Peyton's and Brady's before 2004. We actually got to see some numbers that those guys put up before the league really started going arena-style offensively. There was a guy who retired with all the major passing records, plus he also held the all time yardage rushing by a QB as well - Fran Tarkenton - and his career winded down during the era when passing became harder. He 'deserves' to make the top 10 list as much as Brees, but there are just better players than him.

If you take the best QB's of his era (Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers, Brees), I don't think you can make a case that he's the best. In fact, I would take every other QB on that list, and that isn't a shot against Brees...I just think those other guys are better....and that's just in his era. If he's the fourth best amongst his peers, (I'll accept if people think he's a bit higher) then you basically have to realize that this is roughly where he'd rank in many other eras as well. For instance, if he played 30/35 years ago in an era with Marino, Montana, Elway, Fouts.....I'm taking at least two of those guys ahead of Brees. Sooner or later, Brees just wouldn't make the cut IMO.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Young is the most glaring omission.

There were not 30 players better than him. Let alone a 100.

I'll say this....as a 49er fan, it was almost as good as it gets to have Young follow Montana. Having said that, Brett Favre was better than Steve Young, and deserves to be ahead of him. I don't really give a shit about how the 2nd half of his career ended or all the nonsensical, drama-queen episodes that he produced. Brett Favre won 3 MVP's in a row in the 90's and was the leagues best QB of his era.

Upinthe North

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys I bolded in my original response were the guys I selected - for whatever reason, I flipped Starr with Staubach in my predictions but got every other correct.

As for Brees....this is how I look at it. People today are so fixated on stats given all this nex gen shit and fantasy football, and the rules have completely changed in favour of passing offenses, that it's practically impossible to compare numbers. Forget about the 'dead ball' era in the mid 70's....you can't compare the numbers today with the game 20 years ago, which couldn't be compared to the game 30+ years ago, which couldn't be compared to....

Brees is great - but he's mostly been lucky to really start his career when passing offenses really started to take off. Then again, take a look at his numbers, as well as Peyton's and Brady's before 2004. We actually got to see some numbers that those guys put up before the league really started going arena-style offensively. There was a guy who retired with all the major passing records, plus he also held the all time yardage rushing by a QB as well - Fran Tarkenton - and his career winded down during the era when passing became harder. He 'deserves' to make the top 10 list as much as Brees, but there are just better players than him.

If you take the best QB's of his era (Brady, P. Manning, Rodgers, Brees), I don't think you can make a case that he's the best. In fact, I would take every other QB on that list, and that isn't a shot against Brees...I just think those other guys are better....and that's just in his era. If he's the fourth best amongst his peers, (I'll accept if people think he's a bit higher) then you basically have to realize that this is roughly where he'd rank in many other eras as well. For instance, if he played 30/35 years ago in an era with Marino, Montana, Elway, Fouts.....I'm taking at least two of those guys ahead of Brees. Sooner or later, Brees just wouldn't make the cut IMO.
Well thought out Roma. Tarkenton and Brees were both selected but didn't make the cut. Makes you think this blue ribbon panel knew what they were doing after all (when thought out this way)

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this....as a 49er fan, it was almost as good as it gets to have Young follow Montana. Having said that, Brett Favre was better than Steve Young, and deserves to be ahead of him. I don't really give a shit about how the 2nd half of his career ended or all the nonsensical, drama-queen episodes that he produced. Brett Favre won 3 MVP's in a row in the 90's and was the leagues best QB of his era.

To me, Young was the best QB of the 1990s.

He was consistently great from the time he took over from Montana until the time he retired.

Favre was truly great for maybe three or four years.

In the few years prior and all the years after, he was productive and fun to watch, but he was very erratic and mistake prone, especially in the post season.

The fact that he and Packers did not accomplish much after Mike Holmgren left says a lot, IMO.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bart Starr guided the Packers to 5 NFL Championships which include 2 Super Bowl wins. He should be on that list.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, Young was the best QB of the 1990s.

He was consistently great from the time he took over from Montana until the time he retired.

Favre was truly great for maybe three or four years.

In the few years prior and all the years after, he was productive and fun to watch, but he was very erratic and mistake prone, especially in the post season.

The fact that he and Packers did not accomplish much after Mike Holmgren left says a lot, IMO.

Which is probably the biggest reason as to why most people say Favre is overrated and whatnot....he was left unaccounted for. Holmgren could keep Favre in check, and as long as he was the HC, Favre was generally an incredible player. People also seem to forget that while Young put up some better numbers, Favre's offensive castmates aren't exactly comparable. Guys like Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman were mostly products of Favre's abilities, and I think he had a gift to be able to carry a team for stretches like the truly all time great ones can.