• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My top 25 QBs of all time

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So instead of picking apart other people's I'm going to post mine .

I looked at a lot of numbers to compile this lists .

Namely I looked at total yards , total TDs , MVPs won, playoff record , regular season record , super bowls made and super bowls won .

I looked at the Top 32 in all those categories and then cross referenced them all vs each other to get a final tally . This worked well for modern era QBs but i did have to do some educated guessing with older guys who played a different game basically .

Results

1. Tom Brady
2. Peyton Manning
3. Joe Montana
4. John Unitas
5. Brett Favre
6. Aaron Rodgers
( These are the only guys who met every criteria )
10. Otto Graham
11. Bart Starr
12. Roger Staubach
13. Kurt Warner
14. John Elway
15. Fran Tarkenton
16. Ben Roethlisberger
17. Matt Ryan
Boomer Esiason
( These guys hit all but 1 criteria )
( All but 2 criteria )
25. Ken Stabler
( More than 2 missed criteria but finished top 32 in total with special emphasis on SBs )

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F.U.Q.A.R.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Manning
4. Marino
5. Young
9. Staubach

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning can't even touch Montana. While stats do matter (otherwise I'd have Bradshaw in the top 5), Super Bowls count more than any stats. And Montana was one of the best when the pressure was highest.

Also, Drew Brees is better than Marino is literally every single way. Your ranking is just disrespectful to him. Drew Brees has played for only one more season, however, he is way more accurate (67% vs. 59%), threw for 13,000 more yards, more yards per completion, more yards per game, 100 more touchdowns, 20 less interceptions, and was 11 points better out of QB rating. And he won a Super Bowl, despite playing for the Aints most of his career. And he's going to own basically every single record before he's through, and is a famously great leader and icon for his city. Bad ranking.

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Johnny Unitas
4. Drew Brees
4. Peyton Manning (I think they're about equal, though Brees probably will pass him)
6. Sammy Baugh
7. Otto Graham
8. Brett Favre
9. John Elway
10. Roger Staubach

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning can't even touch Montana. While stats do matter (otherwise I'd have Bradshaw in the top 5), Super Bowls count more than any stats. And Montana was one of the best when the pressure was highest.

Also, Drew Brees is better than Marino is literally every single way. Your ranking is just disrespectful to him. Drew Brees has played for only one more season, however, he is way more accurate (67% vs. 59%), threw for 13,000 more yards, more yards per completion, more yards per game, 100 more touchdowns, 20 less interceptions, and was 11 points better out of QB rating. And he won a Super Bowl, despite playing for the Aints most of his career. And he's going to own basically every single record before he's through, and is a famously great leader and icon for his city. Bad ranking.

1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Johnny Unitas
4. Drew Brees
4. Peyton Manning (I think they're about equal, though Brees probably will pass him)
6. Sammy Baugh
7. Otto Graham
8. Brett Favre
9. John Elway
10. Roger Staubach
I gave equal weight to MVPs as I did Super Bowls because ( imo ) a MVP award signifies season long excellence as opposed to ( potentially ) a few game hot streak ( see Eli or Flacco )

Statistically Manning crushed Montana although I did use practical era comparisons ( which is why I have Marino over Brees ) but ultimately for my criteria Peyton's MVPs overcame the 2 less SBs when comped to Montana

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most picks ever wasn't enough to drop Burt out of the Top 5?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Brees plays for stats.

I will always hold that against him. Passing in the end zone, up multiple TDs, in the waning seconds, just for stats was sinful.

Like Favre laying down for his buddy Mike Strahan. Never forget.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@rmilia1 , I get that you used a formula and all but that shows how numbers and formulas don't really work. Regardless of SB's, there is no way I can put Rodgers and Favre ahead of Marino. And having Eli and McNabb on any top 25 list is just wrong to me and a couple other questionables. I guess this is why we have these discussions though. Cheers.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@rmilia1 , I get that you used a formula and all but that shows how numbers and formulas don't really work. Regardless of SB's, there is no way I can put Rodgers and Favre ahead of Marino. And having Eli and McNabb on any top 25 list is just wrong to me and a couple other questionables. I guess this is why we have these discussions though. Cheers.
Yeah I couldn't really quantify some of the older guys and comparing eras is tough . Actually 4-8
9 were close enough that if Marino had won 1 SB or Brees 1 MVP they'd have both been ahead of Unitas , Favre and Rodgers .

I could've used more criteria but most advanced stats are even more unkind to older eras so I tried to keep it as simple as possible . McNabb caught me off guard too but his raw numbers and results put him there although if I'd done this without data I probably wouldn't have even thought of him ( same with Esiason )

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was thinking of Boomer too. I liked the guy but don't consider him an alltime great. And if an MVP and a SB appearance have extra weight, Cam friggin Newton could make somebodies list. Just sayin.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was thinking of Boomer too. I liked the guy but don't consider him an alltime great. And if an MVP and a SB appearance have extra weight, Cam friggin Newton could make somebodies list. Just sayin.
It's tougher to win an MVP than a SB ( imo ). At least as it correlates to individual excellence at the QB position . That's why so many HoF QBs never won one but did win SBs. I didn't give a ton of points for making a SB but thought winning a conference should be worth something

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...

Eli Manning...

:pound::pound::pound::pound:

Without the rings, he wouldn't be top 100 all-time. With them, he's lucky to be top 90.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...

Eli Manning...

:pound::pound::pound::pound:

Without the rings, he wouldn't be top 100 all-time. With them, he's lucky to be top 90.
Top 10 in yards and TDs, 11th in wins , 17th in playoff wins , 2 rings .

Say what you will but pretty much every metric has him as a Top 25 all timer. A cursory look at advanced stats drops him a bit but not enough to be outside the top 25. Eli ( numbers and results wise ) is very similar to a guy like Aikman ( who most have as a no brainer top 25 all timer )

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Say what you will but pretty much every metric has him as a Top 25 all timer. A cursory look at advanced stats drops him a bit but not enough to be outside the top 25. Eli ( numbers and results wise ) is very similar to a guy like Aikman ( who most have as a no brainer top 25 all timer )

Yards has a lot to do with era. He had his moments and two nice playoff runs but always had a solid defense. I wouldn't consider Eli a top 25 QB of all-time.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yards has a lot to do with era. He had his moments and two nice playoff runs but always had a solid defense. I wouldn't consider Eli a top 25 QB of all-time.
I wouldn't have either but that's where he landed . Longevity is a worthwhile component to excellence but often gets a bad rap . The ability to play ( and stay healthy ) for 15 years is a rare commodity

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hooray, he throws a lot of yards. He's also one of the worst QBs of his era. He's played a long time. That doesn't mean he's played well.

Considering outside of his 2 Super Bowl seasons he's never won a playoff game, it's very hard to justify ranking him anywhere in the top 50.

Take away his 2 SB seasons and his playoff QB rating is 57.2. Do those stats really jump out at you as one of the greatest of all-time?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hooray, he throws a lot of yards. He's also one of the worst QBs of his era. He's played a long time. That doesn't mean he's played well.

Considering outside of his 2 Super Bowl seasons he's never won a playoff game, it's very hard to justify ranking him anywhere in the top 50.

Take away his 2 SB seasons and his playoff QB rating is 57.2. Do those stats really jump out at you as one of the greatest of all-time?
You can say that about a lot of guys . Take away Aikmans 3 SB rings and he's a mediocre regular season QB with a 2-5 playoff record . Ultimately you can't just dismiss 2 rings and 8 wins because they don't fit your preconceptions . As stated I wouldn't have put Eli top 25 either but the overall numbers do