• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super Bowl Food Thread

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you serving up for the big game? I haven't quite made up my mind yet on the main course, but I know what appetizer I'll be cooking up: Stuffed Jalapenos! Here's how I make them:

I start by cutting the stem off the peppers and then cutting them in half lengthwise. Then hollow out the membrane that holds the seeds in place. This is an easy but time consuming process.

Next make the filling. I don't use a precise measuring system, I just sort of know it off the top of my head. How much you make will depend on how many peppers you have and how large or small they are. Let's assume you have 15-20 peppers averaging 2 1/2 inches long.

Take a can of shredded chicken breast (or chunks - you can mash them with a fork). Add a block of cream cheese, (maybe a little more, again, depending on quantity and size of your peppers). Mix in a healthy amount of Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, then sprinkle a light dusting of garlic powder on top. Stir until the mixture is even throughout.

Use a fork or spoon to fill the peppers. Once this is complete, add a strip of bacon to the top, gently pressing it in so the filling holds it in place. I usually cut one bacon strip into 3 or four pieces, depending on the length of the peppers. Some people wrap them, but that only works if you are using an oven. I use my smoker, so wrapping will get you burnt bacon on the bottom.

Once the bacon has been added, it's time to throw your peppers on the smoker. I have a grill/smoker and I arrange my coals in the middle, with the peppers to the left and right. Don't put the peppers directly over the coals because they will burn. I like to add wet applewood chips, which gives awesome smokey flavor.

Now most of you know what bacon looks like when it's done. On my smoker it usually takes 30-45 minutes to cook the bacon, but your mileage will vary based on the type of grill you have and how you arrange the coals. Once you pull these from the smoker, it's a good idea to let them sit for a couple minutes, otherwise the filling might run and make a big mess.

Jalapenos are a moderately hot pepper, but once you remove the membrane and seeds, you've taken about 90% of the heat out. You'll still get a bit of a kick from these, but it's not intolerable, even for a light weight.

Serve these at your Super Bowl party and your friends may remember them even more than the game!

Let's hear your recipes! What is your favorite food to serve up for the big game?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what they look like when they are done:

Attachments

• photo-22.JPG
    photo-22.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 105

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looks fantastic. You know, I'm a foodie.

I am making green chile of course.

It's only weird if it doesn't work, right?

I have won 2 chile cook-offs with my chile.

I start by sweating a white mirepoix (Onions, celery, garlic) in a little olive oil until they are translucent. About 5-10 minutes on medium heat.

Then add my aromatics. Ground celery seed, cumin, coriander and salt and pepper.

Saute a few more minutes, then add roasted, peeled diced green chiles. My mom moved to Las Cruces, NM from Boulder, CO 3 year ago and the Agricultural School at NMSU discovered a seed bank from the 40's with a strain of Chile peppers called "Big Jim" that are just fantastic. Good slow heat that has a sweet flavor then a long slow burn. Huge peppers, up to 10-12 inches. We get them in 10 lb boxes roasted, peeled then frozen.

So saute the chiles with the mirepoix about 15 minutes then the whole deal goes into the crock pot or a stock pot. Add chicken stock then bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover.

Next I take diced pork shoulder and dredge it in flour seasoned with S&P, sweet smoked spanish paprika, medium heat ground red chile powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander and the secret ingredient.

Then I flash cook the seasoned pork in vegetable oil until it is golden brown. Don't overcook. It will be undercooked in the center still but that is ok because it will finish cooking in the pot.

Add the pork to the pot and then i add 1 bottle of Stone Smoked Porter beer.

Then low and slow for at least 6 hours, the longer the better. I will finish off by thickening it with cornstarch dissolved in water or a flour roux.

I prefer the roux over cornstarch but the cornstarch is easier than sauteing butter and flour to make the roux.

Sorry I do not give exact measurements here (or divulge the secret ingredient), I also cook/measure by eye and getting the ratios and portions correct is second nature as often as I make this dish. And I can't give away all the secrets of my award winning chile verde. I will say that one of the keys is proper cooking technique for each step and layering the flavors. Execute the steps for each part then add them one at a time instead of dumping the whole thing in a pot at once.

:suds:

Last edited by a moderator:

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yo....IKF.....those jalapeno poppers look LEGIT!! I might have to give those a shot this year.

And Morph, come on.......what the secret ingredient? :hope: I'm a green chile fiend, and it sounds like yours is on some next level stuff. My mom usually makes the stuff every once in awhile, and I always seem to find my way over to her house when she does :D

I don't really have any set in stone rituals, but we're usually into things that don't take much attention (I'm usually pacing back and forth, so when things are being cooked I'm absolutely no help before a game). We'll usually just buy a couple giant packs non-split wings, marinate in various flavors, and then throw on the grill. Then we'll usually throw together a simple mustard based potato salad. Before all that stuff gets broken out though, we'll usually have a little brunch type thing going on with some sausage, egg and O&P breakfast burrito (my sister kills it with these) and some homemade cinnamon rolls.

Gameday for us usually starts early, so we get the food and all the other good stuff going early.

I'm a big wings guy though, so we usually have easier prep than what you guys have got going on
:peace:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm a sucker for green chile as well. And now that I live on the East Coast, the only green chile I'm ever going to have is the stuff my wife makes. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's definitely not Colorado!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for us there are a few different things we go with. Bacon wrapped shrimp seems like a must now. Nothing too complicated as it is hard to mess up anything when bacon is involved. Then I will usually make some bacon wrapped water chest nuts with a piece of green onion with them. Throw those in the oven (make sure to have them in a pan not on a tray as the grease can start an oven fire) and let them cook till the bacon is just right.

Then the main course depending how the hunting season has gone is either duck or pheasant breasts where you cut them length wise to make a nice pocket on the inside. Then you take a jalapeno and hollow it out, put some different kinds of cheese whatever you like inside then stick that inside the duck or pheasant breast. Then if you haven't noticed a pattern we then wrap that pheasant or duck in bacon and stick it all on the grill until it is all cooked up.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for us there are a few different things we go with. Bacon wrapped shrimp seems like a must now. Nothing too complicated as it is hard to mess up anything when bacon is involved. Then I will usually make some bacon wrapped water chest nuts with a piece of green onion with them. Throw those in the oven (make sure to have them in a pan not on a tray as the grease can start an oven fire) and let them cook till the bacon is just right.

Then the main course depending how the hunting season has gone is either duck or pheasant breasts where you cut them length wise to make a nice pocket on the inside. Then you take a jalapeno and hollow it out, put some different kinds of cheese whatever you like inside then stick that inside the duck or pheasant breast. Then if you haven't noticed a pattern we then wrap that pheasant or duck in bacon and stick it all on the grill until it is all cooked up.

Sounds kind of like you may have learned that lesson from experience, lol.

:suds:

The pheasant or duck breast stuffed with Jalapeno and cheese wrapped in bacon sounds right up my alley.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife is also a huge Broncos fan, Colorado Native (Probably never would have married her if she was not, just being honest) and loves to get creative.

She did this Cheese ball for the Playoff game vs Chargers.

Wisconsin White Cheddar, Smoked Gouda, cream cheese chives and bacon and used provolone (She's Italian) for the laces.

1536667_10201405598878653_1721906113_n.jpg

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, we've got some real chefs on this forum. Morph, with a cheeseball like that, no wonder the Broncos won!

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thread here with some awesome recipes boyz...GJ!

Here's an easy appetizer I'll be munching on...

Take pitted dates and roll em up in apple wood smoked "thin" bacon, secure with a toothpick and bake @ 400 degrees...rolling them frequently to evenly cooked the bacon around the dates. Once the bacon is golden brown , serve immediately and enjoy, no dipping required.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thread here with some awesome recipes boyz...GJ!

Here's an easy appetizer I'll be munching on...

Take pitted dates and roll em up in apple wood smoked "thin" bacon, secure with a toothpick and bake @ 400 degrees...rolling them frequently to evenly cooked the bacon around the dates. Once the bacon is golden brown , serve immediately and enjoy, no dipping required.

A favorite of mine. Nice.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, we've got some real chefs on this forum. Morph, with a cheeseball like that, no wonder the Broncos won!

Thanks. Her idea, and she did an awesome job. The provolone for the laces was a nice touch I thought.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the green chile-The pork to chile ratio is like 50/50, lol. I like it meaty.

297490_2061868223049_1675469073_n.jpg

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always make Buffalo Chicken Dip. A little heaven in your mouth. Lots of recipes out there. Never tried a bad one yet.

And homemade soft pretzels. New recipe but have tried the finished product. Good stuff.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Her idea, and she did an awesome job. The provolone for the laces was a nice touch I thought.

I was wondering what that was. I couldn't figure out if she had made some sort of cream cheese mixture and squeezed it on (like decorating a cake) or what. Very talented of her and I'm sure that was an excellent snack.

Here is the green chile-The pork to chile ratio is like 50/50, lol. I like it meaty.

297490_2061868223049_1675469073_n.jpg

That looks phenomenal! Next time I'm in Denver I'm shooting you a PM. Yeah, I am totally inviting myself over for a bowl of that! :suds:

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now when we have decent weather out here in Denver, like today, I like to fire up the wood smoker.

I got a Brinkman dual gas/charcoal and bought the smoker box to attach to the charcoal grill.

255182_1851720249481_5726072_n.jpg

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering what that was. I couldn't figure out if she had made some sort of cream cheese mixture and squeezed it on (like decorating a cake) or what. Very talented of her and I'm sure that was an excellent snack.

That looks phenomenal! Next time I'm in Denver I'm shooting you a PM. Yeah, I am totally inviting myself over for a bowl of that! :suds:

Anytime, Marine.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little Dry Rub (Texas style) for some St. Louis ribs.

379465_2222352955067_2057154805_n.jpg

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some St, Louis Pork Ribs with a wet mop-

292091_1996986601049_4302393_n.jpg

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When making a red chilli con carne (my fav)...my "secret" ingredient has always been brown sugar, takes the tomato base acidity level down a notch or two. Try it some time, but don't add to much BS to make your chili sweet, just enough to tone down the acidity level is all ya need.

Bon Apettito!