• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stevie or Jimi

Stevie or Jimi?

• Stevie

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Jimi

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my all-time favorite guitarist from across the pond, has to be Pink Floyd's David Gilmour. To me, very few can make a guitar "paint a picture" the way he does

He is great.

I go back and forth with where I would rank him among "rock guitarists" because his playing was so simplistic, but like you said, he paints an amazing picture. His playing fits Pink Floyd's music so well and it's just so tasty.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you've gotten me started...Miles...I'm probably about 12 or 14 deep with Davis ranging from the early years Prestige pre-Coltrane years, obviously the most famous band years with Coltrane, to the final band with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock.

I was told by a very serious Miles collector...don't play Bitches Brew until you've heard the build up albums first...you'll hate it you do. Well, I've started it and stopped about 4 times...I've finally listened to it from beginning to end, still don't quite "get it", but I respect it more than did. I actually think On The Corner might be even more "out there" but clearly he was moving away from the mainstream jazz genre.

Have 3 Monks...like him as well.

I'm not a big fan of Davis' "fusion" stuff either. I've probably played Bitches Brew once. But I'm not a big fan of jazz/rock fusion in general... and I'll just leave it at that. I'm no expert or aficionado. I just know what I like.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you've gotten me started...Miles...I'm probably about 12 or 14 deep with Davis ranging from the early years Prestige pre-Coltrane years, obviously the most famous band years with Coltrane, to the final band with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock.

I was told by a very serious Miles collector...don't play Bitches Brew until you've heard the build up albums first...you'll hate it you do. Well, I've started it and stopped about 4 times...I've finally listened to it from beginning to end, still don't quite "get it", but I respect it more than did. I actually think On The Corner might be even more "out there" but clearly he was moving away from the mainstream jazz genre.

Have 3 Monks...like him as well.

You either like it or you don't. You can't force yourself to "like" something as out there as Bitches Brew, especially how long the pieces are on the album. I like Eric Dolphy/Ornette Colemans Free Jazz and that's a 40 minute assault on your ears. They just went in there and jammed. Apparently when they were recording it they started on a 4 track, the engineer saw that the jam they were doing wasn't ending any time soon and had to scramble to switch to a single track so he could reload the 4 track because there was no going in there and stopping what they were doing. First time I heard it I loved it and it was one of the first jazz albums I bought.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think my all-time favorite guitarist from across the pond, has to be Pink Floyd's David Gilmour. To me, very few can make a guitar "paint a picture" the way he does

He's another great example. What they play and how they play it is what matters to me... more so than how difficult the piece or fast the fingers.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I also asked which music school you studied at, but you ignored the question.

Anyway, be careful not to shoot yourn eyes out with those guns, sport.
Okay sport, now go troll someone else. It's what you do best.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see any value in separating the 2. Is it about the music they created or isn't it ?

Ftr, the OP simply said "Jimi or Stevie".
I don't put much stock in whether they write the songs. I judge the playing more.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilmour is a favorite of mine too. I have him ranked in the top 5.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay sport, now go troll someone else. It's what you do best.

Again, no answer to my question, so I'll just assume that's because any truthful answer would betray you as woefully beyond your depth.

I'll continue to troll. You continue to say stupid shit. That's what you do best.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're suggesting that every song not in a 12-bar blues format should have never been written. Not a strong position for a music buff.

that's what you took from what I said? lolzzz

Reactions: GNG

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's what you took from what I said? lolzzz

Well, that's really the way the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" would apply to our discussion of writing 12-bar blues songs, but if you intended something else, I'm all ears.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I also asked which music school you studied at, but you ignored the question.
I am self-taught but have jammed with Billy Gibbons and Johnny Winter when I lived in Texas.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, no answer to my question, so I'll just assume that's because any truthful answer would betray you as woefully beyond your depth.

I'll continue to troll. You continue to say stupid shit. That's what you do best.
I express my opinion even if it sounds stupid to you. Most of what you post is stupid but I don't troll you for it. Try to remember everyone has an opinion.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing about creativity and innovation.. especially the sort that takes {whatever} to another level. There's no telling where it can go until someone does it.

See the thing is rock n roll wasn't very old when Jimi came along especially guitar based rock n roll so not everything had been tried, everything had been tried by the time SRV came along. If you have ever watched or read anything about SRV, Jimi wasn't the only one who influenced him, people like Albert King, Lonnie Mack, Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry were all a big influence on SRV.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of Davis' "fusion" stuff either. I've probably played Bitches Brew once. But I'm not a big fan of jazz/rock fusion in general... and I'll just leave it at that. I'm no expert or aficionado. I just know what I like.

What's not to like about this?

jk, taste is taste and people like different things. Thing about this is it's one of his few songs that actually comes to a satisfying conclusion. I heard one player on the album (forget who it was) talk about bitches brew and he said the thing about it is that it was like a musical search that never quite gets to what it's looking for.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See the thing is rock n roll wasn't very old when Jimi came along especially guitar based rock n roll so not everything had been tried, everything had been tried by the time SRV came along. If you have ever watched or read anything about SRV, Jimi wasn't the only one who influenced him, people like Albert King, Lonnie Mack, Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry were all a big influence on SRV.
I agree.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's really the way the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" would apply to our discussion of writing 12-bar blues songs, but if you intended something else, I'm all ears.
All ears and all mouth.