• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stevie or Jimi

Stevie or Jimi?

• Stevie

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Jimi

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt...how?
They rented this old castle to record the album they were working on and people in the band or the production crew kept mentioning that they were seeing this black dog in different locations in the castle and were wondering who he belonged to. They asked the caretaker about him and he told them that this place was well-known for being haunted by a black dog who was owned by a former groundskeeper at the castle centuries ago. It freaked everyone out because several people had seem him
They had the song Black dog written during their stay there but had no title for the song so they decided to name it "Black Dog". Became one of their biggest songs.
I used to wonder why the song had that title since it has nothing to do with a dog. And now you have the rest of the story

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'll see your Jimmy Page..and raise, with Jeff Beck.

Jeff Beck is the most original guitarist in rock history IMO. Maybe Hendrix could've competed, had he lived on, but nobody else sounds like Jeff Beck. Of course, that limits his influence a bit, as nobody can play his stuff lol.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer Jimi over SRV. I think Jimi wins out here (not by a lot) for his skill in composition and his overall influence and legacy. With that said, Riviera Paradise is my favorite song out of anything these two have ever conjured up.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I also asked which music school you studied at, but you ignored the question.

Anyway, be careful not to shoot yourn eyes out with those guns, sport.

Just curious, did you study at one?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool, that's a great school. I was at M.I.T./ G.I.T. in L.A. back in the late 80's.

Were you there for guitar?

Guitar was my principal instrument, but I was also studying performance and production. Ended up dropping out and getting a business degree. Ultimately, I think that was the right decision, but I remember my time in Boston fondly. As you know, being fully immersed in that level of musical environment is just amazing.

I've seen quite a few of your posts about music and I could tell that you had much more than a cursory understanding.

What kind of music do you like to play?

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guitar was my principal instrument, but I was also studying performance and production. Ended up dropping out and getting a business degree. Ultimately, I think that was the right decision, but I remember my time in Boston fondly. As you know, being fully immersed in that level of musical environment is just amazing.

I've seen quite a few of your posts about music and I could tell that you had much more than a cursory understanding.

What kind of music do you like to play?

I play jazz and variations of contemporary jazz (for lack of a better description).

I was a solo jazz guitarist/composer for a number of years. I even had a couple of my compositions make it to the airwaves (one song was part of KRAJ FM, Kiev's playlist).

Then came focal dystonia and I was forced to give up guitar (UGGH!!). Luckily, I found I could still play organ and synthesizer (and some piano) so I cut my losses and made the transition to keyboards.

Recently, I've found some therapy to help resolve my focal dystonia issues and I look to be on the road to recovery; we'll seel

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,805.48
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play jazz and variations of contemporary jazz (for lack of a better description).

I was a solo jazz guitarist/composer for a number of years. I even had a couple of my compositions make it to the airwaves (one song was part of KRAJ FM, Kiev's playlist).

Then came focal dystonia and I was forced to give up guitar (UGGH!!). Luckily, I found I could still play organ and synthesizer (and some piano) so I cut my losses and made the transition to keyboards.

Recently, I've found some therapy to help resolve my focal dystonia issues and I look to be on the road to recovery; we'll see
l

A friend of mine has/had that. He played guitar for years, then due to him getting FD, he got into meditation and some form of PT to help alleviate it...then after months of that, he decided to take up brass instruments...and he's actually since become pretty decent on the trumpet and sax w/o the symptoms returning.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A friend of mine has/had that. He played guitar for years, then due to him getting FD, he got into meditation and some form of PT to help alleviate it...then after months of that, he decided to take up brass instruments...and he's actually since become pretty decent on the trumpet and sax w/o the symptoms returning.

Taking up another instrument is about the best thing one can do if suffering from FD. If the FD does go away or is resolved, then you have another instrument under your belt which is obviously a good thing.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,805.48
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking up another instrument is about the best thing one can do if suffering from FD. If the FD does go away or is resolved, then you have another instrument under your belt which is obviously a good thing.

No doubt.

The friend I mentioned earlier would tell me some dark horror stories on how he used to deal with it before he discovered meditation and other more effective types of therapy, and I also read about Keith Emerson's struggle with FD which obviously were so severe that it became too much for him.....so I can totally empathize with anyone who has that condition.

Last edited:

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt.

The friend I mentioned earlier would tell me some dark horror stories on how he used to deal with it before he discovered meditation and other more effective types of therapy, and I also read about Keith Emerson's struggle with FD which obviously were so severe that it became too much for him.....so I can totally empathize with anyone who has that condition.

Once I was diagnosed with FD, I went into a fairly heavy depression; my world was shattered. It was about 3 years after being diagnosed that I finally cut my losses and went "another direction" by picking up keyboards (something I was always into and wanted to play).

Honestly, I was having panic attacks that lasted for weeks on end. Getting diagnosed later with thyroid cancer only made things worse.

The good news is, is that all is now good; cancer free, for starters. And as an added bonus, I'm making major steps now in resolving my FD. Although TBH, even if I don't completely resolve my FD, I'm still in a pretty good place both with my music and with life in general.

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally, i'm partial hendrix's music, although i like both, but i would favor hendrix because of his pioneering innovation. he didn't push boundaries, he destroyed them. he was the original, a game changer, and made everything he played his own.