• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stevie or Jimi

Stevie or Jimi?

• Stevie

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Jimi

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See the thing is rock n roll wasn't very old when Jimi came along especially guitar based rock n roll so not everything had been tried, everything had been tried by the time SRV came along. If you have ever watched or read anything about SRV, Jimi wasn't the only one who influenced him, people like Albert King, Lonnie Mack, Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry were all a big influence on SRV.

Of course, that's because he was all about the blues. Hendrix was not. Great thread, btw.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's really the way the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" would apply to our discussion of writing 12-bar blues songs, but if you intended something else, I'm all ears.

You're all ears, lolzzz what a dumbass!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of our greatest entertainers didn't write their own material

"Music they created" doesn't exclude covers. Jimi's version of "All Around The Watchtower" being a perfect example.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Music they created" doesn't exclude covers. Jimi's version of "All Around The Watchtower" being a perfect example.
I never said Jimi wasn't great, just that folks overrate him. I guess dying at 27 was why.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's not to like about this?

jk, taste is taste and people like different things. Thing about this is it's one of his few songs that actually comes to a satisfying conclusion. I heard one player on the album (forget who it was) talk about bitches brew and he said the thing about it is that it was like a musical search that never quite gets to what it's looking for.

Aside from Davis, whose tone and playing which is always worth a listen, it sounds like a bunch of noodling to me. It was pleasant enough and the 12 minutes went by fast. But even jazz I ultimately wind up liking a lot can be like that on first listen.

I'll give it another shot when I'm in a different state of mind, so to speak, some night when I'm not at work.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You either like it or you don't. You can't force yourself to "like" something as out there as Bitches Brew, especially how long the pieces are on the album. I like Eric Dolphy/Ornette Colemans Free Jazz and that's a 40 minute assault on your ears. They just went in there and jammed. Apparently when they were recording it they started on a 4 track, the engineer saw that the jam they were doing wasn't ending any time soon and had to scramble to switch to a single track so he could reload the 4 track because there was no going in there and stopping what they were doing. First time I heard it I loved it and it was one of the first jazz albums I bought.

I can appreciate that insight, but that's not entirely true, especially not right off the bat for everyone...I've had music that I listened to the 1st time and thought...why did I buy this? And a month later I was playing it 2 or 3 times a week.

FWIW, I'm not saying I like or don't like Bitches Brew (said I don't "get it") but it was such a departure from his acoustic work I can see why he suggested playing his earlier works first. Miles was an incredible talent, and the range of his music reveals that.

I was the same way with On the Corner, 1st time I heard it I liked it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of Davis' "fusion" stuff either. I've probably played Bitches Brew once. But I'm not a big fan of jazz/rock fusion in general... and I'll just leave it at that. I'm no expert or aficionado. I just know what I like.

In A Silent Way went over pretty well with me...that was one of the 1st fusion albums I think...Birth Of Cool, Round About Midnight hooked me, and Kind Of Blue is still my favorite.

Very much.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough one. Maybe too tough to pick one. I'd put Trower and Rory Gallager in there as well.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved his percussionist almost as much as the guitar playing.

You play, or played...either way I'm sure you can still make some tunes...Very cool!
Yeah its one of the few things you get better at as you get older. Music has been really good to me although I don't make a living at it.
I played in a golf fundraiser event for the Walden Project perhaps 35 years ago in Los Angeles with a friend of mine who I grew up with who plays with the Doobie Brothers; guy named Tom Johnston and he tells me "at the event tonight the guitars are coming out and a lot of people are going to be playing; you are welcome to join".
What a night! I was on the stage at varying times with Tom Petty, Tom Johnston, Amy Grant, Bernie Leadon and Vince Gill. Lots of other dudes who were excellent musicians too Anybody who could play could get up and play with these guys and we raised a ton of money

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Virtuosity is wildly overrated, at least to these ears. Some of my favorite instrumentalists wouldn't be in the top 1,000 if technical mastery of their instrument is the criteria.. Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Keith Moon, Jimi Hendrix... it's a long list.

But technical virtuosity can be more objectively measured and everything else about what makes music great is very subjective.
Joe Walsh, Billy Gibbons; guys who just know how to make it sound cool.

Reactions: GNG

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, i really enjoy a lot of LZ's tunes, I just never saw Page as any sort of groundbreaking guitar player or anything.
Not one of my favoritee groups but did you ever hear the story about how they came up with the title "Black Dog"? Pretty cool story, i saw it on a special about Led Zeppelin.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited:

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are the epitome of cool. They put out a lot of sound for just three dudes.

cavecookie

Pickin' and Grinnin'!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavie, 123 posts in 7 years? That's impressive my friend!
Guess post counts don't matter much to me. I could probably do what I see some others doing; post a response, telling everyone that I have nothing to say, but if I don't have anything to say, I don't say it! When I was a kid, my dad used to say "Shut up, you might learn something!". It seems old habits die hard!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess post counts don't matter much to me. I could probably do what I see some others doing; post a response, telling everyone that I have nothing to say, but if I don't have anything to say, I don't say it! When I was a kid, my dad used to say "Shut up, you might learn something!". It seems old habits die hard!
Just the opposite of me. I'm always running my mouth here "opining" on everything.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one of my favoritee groups but did you ever hear the story about how they came up with the title "Black Dog"? Pretty cool story, i saw it on a special about Led Zeppelin.

I didnt...how?