• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steelers plan to tag Bell

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad...match and trade is what I meant to say.

That's the only way for get a pick in '19.
What I thought you meant but had to clarify.

That move is very risky. They could end up being stuck with the asshole on an even more expensive contract than just simply the tag value, or worse they get zero return if they don’t match.

I don’t think the Rooney’s have ever involved themselves with a trade situation like this because of how sketchy it is. Basically a 3-way trade based on word of mouth as the only guarantee. All 3 parties have to hold up their end of the bargain for this sort of desired return.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports "all indications" are the Steelers plan to use the transition tag on free agent Le'Veon Bell.
Yikes. The first day the Steelers can apply the tag is next Tuesday. It is an almost stunning level of pettiness, but within the Steelers' rights via the collective bargaining agreement. Per reporter Gerry Dulac, under no circumstance would the Steelers consider actually keeping Bell. The scheme would also require Bell signing the tag. The Steelers' endgame would be: Getting Bell to sign the tag, matching an offer sheet from another team, and then trading Bell for compensation. It promises to be an acrimonious end to an exceedingly bitter feud.
will he sign it?:suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they tag him and can find someone willing to trade a pick for him, which seems possible.

Agreed, but probably want to have that trade partner already worked out.

I think they can always rescind the tag., but
What I thought you meant but had to clarify.

That move is very risky. They could end up being stuck with the asshole on an even more expensive contract than just simply the tag value, or worse they get zero return if they don’t match.

I don’t think the Rooney’s have ever involved themselves with a trade situation like this because of how sketchy it is. Basically a 3-way trade based on word of mouth as the only guarantee. All 3 parties have to hold up their end of the bargain for this sort of desired return.

Actually you cleaned it up for me...thanks

Yeah...essentially the same thing BAL and DEN are dealing with on the Flacco deal...I don't think there's any recourse if DEN decides to bail on the deal.

So, yes there are some risks involved...on the surface it seems like PIT really wants to make this anything but a smooth exit for Bell.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports "all indications" are the Steelers plan to use the transition tag on free agent Le'Veon Bell.
Yikes. The first day the Steelers can apply the tag is next Tuesday. It is an almost stunning level of pettiness, but within the Steelers' rights via the collective bargaining agreement. Per reporter Gerry Dulac, under no circumstance would the Steelers consider actually keeping Bell. The scheme would also require Bell signing the tag. The Steelers' endgame would be: Getting Bell to sign the tag, matching an offer sheet from another team, and then trading Bell for compensation. It promises to be an acrimonious end to an exceedingly bitter feud.
ECHO..... ECHo.... ECho.... Echo

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but probably want to have that trade partner already worked out.

I think they can always rescind the tag., but

Actually you cleaned it up for me...thanks

Yeah...essentially the same thing BAL and DEN are dealing with on the Flacco deal...I don't think there's any recourse if DEN decides to bail on the deal.

So, yes there are some risks involved...on the surface it seems like PIT really wants to make this anything but a smooth exit for Bell.
I think this is nothing more than the media spinning stories in the downtime of the offseason. Easy story to spin.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If not, sit another year?

Bell is not brightest bulb in the lot, but even he would have to see that would be a mistake.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to transition him you just should've traded him last year when you could've got something better for him
they couldnt trade him last year.
He never signed a contract, so they never had the rights to trade him.

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would actually like to see the Steelers be spiteful and stroke this Jagoff one final time.Worst they could lose is a possible third round comp pick...Lord knows this fuckstick needs a healthy dose of Karma. Art I and Dan are gone, and ART JR doesn't appear to run the team like they did ("the Steelers a circus..nonsense")Drag this out, torment the prick and see what happens! ENJOY THE CIRCUS PEOPLE!!:pop2::suds::dhd:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is fake news.

The Steelers can't tag, match a legit offer sheet and then trade Bell.

The moment they match the offer sheet, they would have to pay Bell his signing bonus. Then when they trade him, that same amount of signing bonus would then immediately be applied to their cap in 2019 as a dead cap hit.

Bell is going to get a $15m+ signing bonus. And that is low end. Gurley got $20m. Bell will get close to that. The Steelers aren't going to spend that money and take that big of an amount out of their cap for whatever draft compensation they would receive from trading Bell. Especially when you factor in the ridiculous cap hit they are already going to have to absorb if they are forced to deal AB.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they couldnt trade him last year.
He never signed a contract, so they never had the rights to trade him.
If they'd told him he's be traded he would've signed though

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
WTF!
@FaCe-LeE-uS @ATL96Steeler @Psych-Ward

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Feb 14, 2019, 8:40 PM

My eyes must be failing. From far away, I thought the thread title was about Taco Bell, and I got a little excited.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't sign, doesn't that mean another year out of football?

I don't think so, he sat out last yr and lost a yr salary....I don't think they will tag him because they could get stuck with it and a disgruntled player that has made up his mind he wants out of Stoolersville.....
It's been reported the Ravens are trying to get him, how I don't know but they are after an elite RB to help free up noodle arm Buckwheat Jackson this yr....

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF!
@FaCe-LeE-uS @ATL96Steeler @Psych-Ward

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Feb 14, 2019, 8:40 PM
Well this will be fun to watch