• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nightengale Details MLB's Plan to Return (Sox/Cubs Share Division)

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“It’s all coming together,’’ one of the officials said. “I’m very optimistic."

Major League Baseball officials have become cautiously optimistic this week that the season will start in late June, and no later than July 2, playing at least 100 regular-season games, according to three executives with knowledge of the talks. They requested anonymity because the plan is still under consideration.

And not only would baseball be played, but it would be played in their own major-league ballparks, albeit with no fans.

MLB is considering a three-division, 10-team plan in which teams play only within their division – a concept gaining support among owners and executives. It would abolish the traditional American and National Leagues, and realign the divisions based on geography.

The plan, pending approval of medical experts and providing that COVID-19 testing is available to the public, would eliminate the need for players to be in isolation and allow them to still play at their home ballparks while severely reducing travel.

The divisions would keep many of the natural rivals together, while playing one another before an expanded playoff format.

Here's a look at the possible realignment structure:

EAST

• New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins
WEST

• Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners
CENTRAL

• Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

MLB 2020 season: Officials optimistic about starting in June

I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it!

There's more in the article (it's pretty long or I would post it all). Not denying there's some hoops to get through but reports of progress and actual details is promising.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, if you're gonna tear apart the current league and division setups as they presently stand, this three division, geographical alignment at least makes sense, especially if the're planning on playing the games in their own stadiums. And if they're only going to play within their own divisions, it will either have to be 90 games or 108 - that is, if they want a balanced home/away schedule.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's all well and good that "baseball" (read: executives, management, sponsors, sportswriters etc.) want to push playing this year. they don't have to get out there and mingle with players. i'd like to hear what the players/umps/etc. themselves have to say. until there is a vaccine, accurate testing etc. i would not step out on the field. and if you were smart, neither would you.

edit: 'Too much to iron out': What players have to say about MLB's Arizona plan

try using your brains instead of your hearts.

Last edited: