• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steelers disappointed Bell didn't show up today

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised his agent hasn't convinced him that he is losing millions at this point. His deal next year is so dependent on his stats of this season.

I think Bell will be shape when he finally does report...but as we know, it takes reps to get your timing down and that's why I see him starting slow again...I'm thinking Connor starts this week in CLE.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s what I heard as well. Here’s the issue though: was that final? Bells demands may have been so high there was no point going any higher.

The gurley deal is not a true comparison. Gurley was facing two years of franchise tagging. That money needed to be factored into his deal. Bell had already been thru one (12M?). He’s into this one as well. You can’t say gurley got X million and bell only got 33M. He already got last years money.

From reading the article Bell was demanding $17 million a year. I personally think that was too much. It looks like the Steelers offer had guarantees covering the first 2 years and there was no confirmation if the 3 year had any guaranteed money.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck him.....

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From reading the article Bell was demanding $17 million a year. I personally think that was too much. It looks like the Steelers offer had guarantees covering the first 2 years and there was no confirmation if the 3 year had any guaranteed money.

i suppose you could pay Bell big money for a couple of years while he still may be able to produce but if Bell is looking for huge guaranteed money that would be spread out over many years, a team would be dumb to do that.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i suppose you could pay Bell big money for a couple of years while he still may be able to produce but if Bell is looking for huge guaranteed money that would be spread out over many years, a team would be dumb to do that.

He's only 26. A 4-5 year deal with at least 3 year's worth of salary guaranteed is reasonable.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's only 26. A 4-5 year deal with at least 3 year's worth of salary guaranteed is reasonable.

maybe not with his mileage ... and i think that's why the steelers are hesitating

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers need to stop being cheap asses and pay the best RB in the league like he is the best RB in the league. Fuck em they get what they deserve.

They should try paying him.
I disagree.
For the Money Bell is expecting to get paid. The Steelers would do more harm to their team signing him for that.
If I am the steelers I would play hard ball with him & let him go the next year. If he is not under contract I am not sure they could trade him (since he hasnt signed his Fran tag yet, I dont think)

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he has a huge year. I think pitt is done with him and he is trying to get the biggest payday he can next year.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.
For the Money Bell is expecting to get paid. The Steelers would do more harm to their team signing him for that.
If I am the steelers I would play hard ball with him & let him go the next year. If he is not under contract I am not sure they could trade him (since he hasnt signed his Fran tag yet, I dont think)

By not keeping him, are they basically telling Roethlisberger he's done as well? Antonio Brown? Neither will be happy with that decision. Conner is a solid back, but he's not the multi-threat that Bell is and will change the efficiency of the offense substantially.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bell was trying to set a new precedent with a $17 mil annual deal, but eventually softened to $15 mil per avg which PIT did offer, but the roughly $31-33 mil in G$ was not enough...the signing bonus and 1st yr of the new deal is the standard G$ in PIT contracts.

But as I mentioned, they have their ways a extending more G$. Most all of the top tier players get restructured somewhere along the way.

Report: Steelers Restructure Contract Of DL Cameron Heyward To Create Cap Space - Steelers Depot

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By not keeping him, are they basically telling Roethlisberger he's done as well? Antonio Brown? Neither will be happy with that decision. Conner is a solid back, but he's not the multi-threat that Bell is and will change the efficiency of the offense substantially.
I dont think so. Like someone else pointed out. Steelers has a ton of weapons, & adequate RBs to play the spot who also catch. dont think it is gonna be horrible to get Juju & other receivers into the mix more. In fact it very well could help the team moving the ball around more. Now with that said. I think the Steelers are only gonna be as good as Big Ben is, but that is more on Ben than not having Bell. Ben has plenty of guys that can catch the ball on that team, & as I was saying I think the running game will do fine.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO, Ben is the sole reason they've tagged Bell twice....they know the window is closing fast and paid the money to keep his top weapons intact. Ben is up in '19. Its starting to look like that might be the end of the road. Ben has talked about retiring and a recently talked about extending, but insists on this OL being intact.

This is where I see the fallout...The Steelers have a fairly expensive OL, every player is on a 2nd contract with a couple approaching a 3rd contract. Foster's (LG) deal is up after this season...he's likely playing his last year. They already have his replacement ready to go...'19 RT, same thing the rookie swing OT they like a lot is probably going to be the starting RT in '20.

Connor... agreed, he's not Bell, but imo you don't have to be to be effective.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't he have to report prior to week _____? In order to have the season count? For some reason I think there is a time frame associated so he gets credit for the year?
Yes, there is. I thought it was week 8, but not 100% sure which week it is.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they could've worked it out, I'd love to have Bell back, but at some point you have to realize it's not going to work long term. It's tough to hit a moving target and Bell's demands changed 2 or 3 times...when they finally met his per yr salary demand with over $30 mil in guaranteed money (true guarantees, no roster bonuses) he moved the target again saying he wanted more in G$.

I don't blame the player for wanting what he thinks he can get, but if the contract that makes him happy puts him on a 8 win team, that's all part of it.

As a fan, this is one that you can appreciate the effort the front office made, hopefully Bell has a good season this yr and they win it all and he can go make $200 mil wherever.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, there is. I thought it was week 8, but not 100% sure which week it is.

An NFL Player only has to play 6 games (or be on the active roster) in order to acrue credit for a full season. Bell could set 10 games and get full credit.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he got run hard and often at mich state. and we have run him into the ground thus far