• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the NFL

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now here's a question..

What should the NFL do about kickoffs? With the goal being to reduce kickoff returns, the 25 yard line starting field position has caused more teams to start kicking high and trying to pin teams deeper on returns than a touchback. The league obviously wants to limit injuries on that play? Any ideas?

One, and I haven't really thought it through completely is going with 9 men kickoff formations. More chance for bigger returns with fewer players out there (think 4 on 4 hockey), more emphasis IMO on the kicking team to get speed out there instead of size on kick coverage, and a lot more desire to kick touchbacks.

Im not sure if I like the idea of eliminating kickoffs, but I believe we are a year or 2 away from that happening

This pooch kick idea, like you said, is becoming the norm, and the potential for higher impact collisions, is far greater......

I think we are going to get to the point where touchbacks are no more, the eye test is telling me that these guys are not getting back to the 25 yard line on these pooch kicks

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure if I like the idea of eliminating kickoffs, but I believe we are a year or 2 away from that happening

This pooch kick idea, like you said, is becoming the norm, and the potential for higher impact collisions, is far greater......

I think we are going to get to the point where touchbacks are no more, the eye test is telling me that these guys are not getting back to the 25 yard line on these pooch kicks

Yeah, granted my Eagles got a nice win in a big part to Minny trying that pooch kick method..

I think you are right that the best tactic in terms of player safety on the issue may be to eliminate them, though I don't want that going away either (but if they get rid of the post-kickoff commercial break I would be better with it).

Just not sure there is a good way to make them safer and keep them in the game.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, granted my Eagles got a nice win in a big part to Minny trying that pooch kick method..

I think you are right that the best tactic in terms of player safety on the issue may be to eliminate them, though I don't want that going away either (but if they get rid of the post-kickoff commercial break I would be better with it).

Just not sure there is a good way to make them safer and keep them in the game.

The Post kickoff commercial break....Dear Lord......Always great when it comes with 3 seconds left in a quarter, so you get the added bonus of another commercial break 3 seconds later

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Post kickoff commercial break....Dear Lord......Always great when it comes with 3 seconds left in a quarter, so you get the added bonus of another commercial break 3 seconds later

The only reason I like it is for grabbing another beer. Been watching redzone more during the Sunday games which is fun.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be a tight race for the Number 1 Draft Pick Bowl.

And do the poor TV ratings, reflect the mediocre and injured quality of the NFL?

Dolphins have won 2 in a row to get to 3 - 4
Jets.........clown show.........The QB is criticizing everybody and the HC is taking shots at the QB
Chargers have donated some losses, but have a two game win streak.... but are in last place
Steelers have the only winning record in the AFC North....lost two in a row
Bengals need a new GM and coach........and maybe a qb
When does Chip Kelly go back to college coaching?
Texans are leading their division ......They may win that division with a losing record.
The NFC East teams, all have winning records.........go figure
The Seahawks have a 4 - 1 - 1 record.........and didn't score one TD in a whole game with an overtime
The Vikings have no Oline
The Ravens have lost four in a row
The Packers are caught in the twilight zone........maybe need a new coach
The Bears, Browns 49ers are on the clock for the first draft pick
The Bucs, Saints, and Panthers could play in the SEC
and the Lions have lost to the Bears and Titans
How much is Andrew Luck getting paid?
ditto Brock Osweiller?
......Ryan Fitzpatrick?
...........Captain Kirk Cousins?
........Andy Dalton?
......Colin Kaepernick?
...Jay Cutler?
and Jared Goff has had some reps with the first team offense in practice
Jeff Fisher kicked the media out of his locker room after the Detroit loss.
And does any coach get the axe before the season ends?

Browns should have the #1 on lock. We can wait till next April to see how they fuck it up.

Fisher should definitely be fired before the end of the season along with his entire staff.

Be funny to see Chip Kelly get canned.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I like it is for grabbing another beer. Been watching redzone more during the Sunday games which is fun.

Best Channell ever invented, and I think its actually a partial contributor to the drop in TV ratings, in this fantasy crazed football world we now live in

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best Channell ever invented, and I think its actually a partial contributor to the drop in TV ratings, in this fantasy crazed football world we now live in

Very well could be. Not sure what kind of deal they have with them or how long it is for, but if that's getting the views, they can make it up when they negotiate a new deal. I just like that I can throw it on for 6 hours and know I'll be watching good football. And love how in the 4th quarter they just stick with the close games. My wife hates it though, since there's no commercial break to snag me to do something lol.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well could be. Not sure what kind of deal they have with them or how long it is for, but if that's getting the views, they can make it up when they negotiate a new deal. I just like that I can throw it on for 6 hours and know I'll be watching good football. And love how in the 4th quarter they just stick with the close games. My wife hates it though, since there's no commercial break to snag me to do something lol.

Yeah, so addictive cause if youre focused on one game, between the breaks and the possibility of it sucking, youre attention could be diverted.....RedZone is tough to take your eyes off of every Sunday

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

we don't want OD trying to take over the thread with his Kelly nut swinging

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns should have the #1 on lock. We can wait till next April to see how they fuck it up.

Fisher should definitely be fired before the end of the season along with his entire staff.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him actually resign and go back to the college game where he seems like a much better fit.

As much as I like Hue Jackson if they don't win at least a couple of games I could see that situation get interesting. Even a new coach would have trouble surviving an 0-16 type season.

CowboyB

#1 Ignored
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't surprise me to see him actually resign and go back to the college game where he seems like a much better fit.

As much as I like Hue Jackson if they don't win at least a couple of games I could see that situation get interesting. Even a new coach would have trouble surviving an 0-16 type season.
Yeah I hear that. I'd sue their asses for trading away Carson Wentz if that happened lol

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I hear that. I'd sue their asses for trading away Carson Wentz if that happened lol

From what I understand Hue Jackson wasn't one that liked Wentz so I think he might have been part of the problem.

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know the NFL is in for a long decline in TV ratings when they're blaming it on the presidential election. I have a hard time believing that an NFL fan wouldn't tune into a NFL game because some news story on Trump or Clinton. It's a horrible excuse and shows that there big problems on the horizon.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know the NFL is in for a long decline in TV ratings when they're blaming it on the presidential election. I have a hard time believing that an NFL fan wouldn't tune into a NFL game because some news story on Trump or Clinton. It's a horrible excuse and shows that there big problems on the horizon.
I'm starting to think the same way. I also don't think the Chicago Cubs playing in the playoffs is a valid excuse.

perhaps over saturation and greed will indeed become the primary reasons.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well considering every presidential election the NFL sees about a 7-8% decline in viewership I would say it is plenty a valid excuse. Throw 2 of the 4 debates have happened on days NFL football is being played. So yes they have pulled eyes away from the NFL. There is more to it than just the presidential race but to say it isn't at least part of the reason is ignoring the facts.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Election season one reason for NFL ratings drop

Good article on this subject. Confirms that election & related debates have had a huge impact on NFL ratings. Also states that Sun day games show very little drop. It is the night games that have shown the biggest drop & - beyond the debate factor - they have been hurt by the fact that several of these games have been duds & some feature less than stellar teams.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Election season one reason for NFL ratings drop

Good article on this subject. Confirms that election & related debates have had a huge impact on NFL ratings. Also states that Sun day games show very little drop. It is the night games that have shown the biggest drop & - beyond the debate factor - they have been hurt by the fact that several of these games have been duds & some feature less than stellar teams.

Should help that they can start flexing some of these games as the season goes on and we start figuring out what are the best match ups of the week.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should help that they can start flexing some of these games as the season goes on and we start figuring out what are the best match ups of the week.
I think the game just starts too late for many people to care about it after a day of football.