• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Freakin' Finals (Sharks v Penguins)

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It reminds me of the Dallas/ Buffalo series in 99. The ice in Dallas was this bad too.
That's what you remember from the Buffalo/Dallas series in 99? :D

Welcome aboard, and FUCK DALLAS!!!

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Essentially, you are covering net. When you are standing, you are covering maybe one total foot of net along the ice. Plus, a large portion of your body is above the crossbar not protecting anything. Most goalie pads in the pros are 36" plus, so when you drop to your knees and spread out you are covering 65-70 inches of net along the ice (plus 12" or so high). And your shoulders are now where your waist would be if you were standing.This is very effective when shots are coming from above the circles and/or outside the dots.

Goaltending is probabilities and risk. You want to be in position to stop 90 out of every 100 that come at you. And you do that by simply covering net and leaving yourself available to move to the next spot to make the next one. The best goalies are the ones that the puck "just hits". Patrick Roy was the best at it, and he inspired Brodeur. The two of them changed goaltending forever.

On that goal, Murray had the post completely closed off low. He had his elbow outside the post so there was no hole (such a hard thing to teach young goalies to do). His skate was hard on the post. He had his left pad covering any far side attempt. And he was leaning a bit to be ready to shove out to the top of the crease in case Donskoi passed. He left a space about the size of a shoe box exposed, and Joonas hit it. While getting it through two defenders.

If he squeezed that off and Donskoi passed to the slot we'd be asking about his panicked lunge and how he missed with his glove because there is no way he'd have gotten there. I think he obviously got lower than he wanted, but I can't say I'd have done anything different myself. I don't fault him for that one at all.

Ward's goal on the other hand...

TYVM. That is very insightful.

/no "useful" rating in the hockey thread? :scratch:

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed it affecting Kessel more than anyone else, though. He looked like he couldn't get any traction to get moving, like he was skating underwater, which was actually kind of true in a way. I think slow ice impacts the fastest players the most, and that definitely disproportionately impacts the Penguins whose entire team identity is speed.

Or, just maybe, that have some darn fine hot dogs in San Jose :noidea:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks 43. Question though - is it just a bit of bad luck that Murray seems to have been beaten quite a few times high from bad angles? Is he trading that risk for taking away the low part of the net, or should he be making some adjustments? I agree with another poster, who mentioned that he and Vasilevsky both seemed to get really low in those situations.

I wouldn't say it's "bad luck" per se. Everyone has tendencies and tells. I haven't been watching very closely, but I guess it's just his style to always gets low on wraparounds leaving that open.

Adjustments are tricky. If he gets across well and barely gets beaten on wraparounds, or if he gets out to cover the top of the crease on point passes from down low (which I would say he does), then you might not want to mess with his mechanics on one vulnerability for fear of screwing up an area the goalie is successful. Particularly when the number of shots you are likely to face where you are vulnerable is far lower than the number you face where you're good.

A goalie coach's job is as much pointing out opposing goalie flaws to the head coach to exploit as it is helping your goalie make adjustments. Someone has figured out that he leaves that open.

You also have to know your goalie's weakness so your staff can get your D to support it. And seeing as how the Pens sent 2 D after Donskoi, I think the Pens know it too.

TYVM. That is very insightful.

/no "useful" rating in the hockey thread? :scratch:

You betcha :thumb:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from NHL.com,

Metallica will perform the national anthem prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final between the Pittsburgh Penguins and San Jose Sharks at SAP Center on Monday (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC TVA Sports). The Sharks trail the best-of-7 series 2-1.

The heavy metal band comprised of James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett and Rob Trujillo will rock the Shark Tank for a good cause. The guitars used by Hetfield and Hammett during the performance will be signed by the members of the band, displayed on the concourse during the game and then donated to the Sharks Foundation to be auctioned off.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Finnish play-by-play guy enjoyed this OT goal:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the Pens lost on Saturday. I have a softball game tonight and wouldn't want to miss a possible Cup-clinching game.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a weird mental block that happens with these series. You predict an outcome, or expect a 6-7 game series, and then when your team loses one game it feels like the world has ended.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a weird mental block that happens with these series. You predict an outcome, or expect a 6-7 game series, and then when your team loses one game it feels like the world has ended.

Some of the guys at work were congratulating me after game 2. I told them this was a long way from over. The first three games could have gone either way.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have not experienced this yet (Lets go MONSTERS!)

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from NHL.com,

Metallica will perform the national anthem prior to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final between the Pittsburgh Penguins and San Jose Sharks at SAP Center on Monday (8 p.m. ET; NBC, CBC TVA Sports). The Sharks trail the best-of-7 series 2-1.

The heavy metal band comprised of James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett and Rob Trujillo will rock the Shark Tank for a good cause. The guitars used by Hetfield and Hammett during the performance will be signed by the members of the band, displayed on the concourse during the game and then donated to the Sharks Foundation to be auctioned off.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the Pens lost on Saturday. I have a softball game tonight and wouldn't want to miss a possible Cup-clinching game.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yep. Overtime in Game 2, I'm thinking "It's okay if we lose this, because overall, we're playing great." But after losing Game 3, it feels like we're the ones losing the series.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw Hetfield and Hammett... :suds:
Seriously I always like when guitarist do the Star Spangled Banner

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 minutes in and at least 3 careless passes by Malkin.