• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford Signed

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fans from the outside looking in don't realize this isn't a a financial burden. We have less Cap eaten up by big contracts now than at any point since Marinelli got canned, I think.

Staffords pay has increased at a slower rate than the Cap over his career. Which is stupid. But we were at our shittiest with very poor timing.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fans from the outside looking in don't realize this isn't a a financial burden. We have less Cap eaten up by big contracts now than at any point since Marinelli got canned, I think.

Staffords pay has increased at a slower rate than the Cap over his career. Which is stupid. But we were at our shittiest with very poor timing.

It amazes me how people continue to be completely stunned at every one of these QB deals... It's staggering how ignorant the average fan is.

However, there's really no way around the fact that it is a lot of guaranteed cash. There may not be a lot of big contracts on the books right now, but it will effect/limit how the team pursues FA's and other deals down the line.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It amazes me how people continue to be completely stunned at every one of these QB deals... It's staggering how ignorant the average fan is.

However, there's really no way around the fact that it is a lot of guaranteed cash. There may not be a lot of big contracts on the books right now, but it will effect/limit how the team pursues FA's and other deals down the line.
You know what is the biggest limiting factor?

So, how does playing in Detroit sound?

That's the biggest limiting factor.

We had three guys making over 60 mil two years ago. Staff barely even got a 10% raise.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what is the biggest limiting factor?

So, how does playing in Detroit sound?

That's the biggest limiting factor.

We had three guys making over 60 mil two years ago. Staff barely even got a 10% raise.

Eh... I don't really buy all that. You're not going to convince me that "well, no one wants to play here anyway... so why not give all our cash away?"... lol... There's really no getting around the fact that Stafford now takes up a large chunk of your books. You can't just dismiss that as being meaningless. It will have an effect on the team. To be clear, I'm not saying that I don't get why they made the deal. I do.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh... I don't really buy all that. You're not going to convince me that "well, no one wants to play here anyway... so why not give all our cash away?"... lol... There's really no getting around the fact that Stafford now takes up a large chunk of your books. You can't just dismiss that as being meaningless. It will have an effect on the team. To be clear, I'm not saying that I don't get why they made the deal. I do.
He's taken up a significant chunk for nine years now.

There is no reason for us to talk about the effect of his pay in the future tense. We've been living it for nearly a decade. This contract isn't some new burden.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You okay with your "franchise QB" not bringing you ANYTHING in terms of success? He's a stat machine, no more, no less. No playoff wins, no division titles, no back to back winning seasons or back to back playoff appearances. Yeah, you've made the playoffs 3 times in the last 6 years, but have nothing to show for it. Only 7 current starting QBs have a worse winning % than Stafford. Bortles, Glennon, Josh McCown, Mariota, Bradford, Goff and Wentz.

He inherited an 0-16 team. He also suffered through Martin Mayhew which was Matt Millen's right hand man.

He dropped 380 yards and 4 TD's, on 65% completion percentage vs the Saints in his first playoff game.

323 yards and 1/1 on 67% completion percentage again Dallas on a bunk ass pass interference penalty.

Last year he had a rough game against an elite defense in one of the toughest places to play which is Seattle.

Also, the Lions haven't had a 1000 yard rusher since 2013.

Sure, it doesn't take away the fact that he hasn't won a playoff game. Stafford is a playmaker, plain and simple. QB's hold all the cards in negotiations.

I'd love to see where the Steelers would be without Big Ben at QB. Big Ben has won, yes. But don't even try to say he hasn't had plenty of amazing defenses to have his back over the years.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's really no getting around the fact that Stafford now takes up a large chunk of your books.

He's the best player on the team, at the most important position in the NFL, BY FAR. Isn't he supposed to take up the biggest chunk of the cap?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's the best player on the team, at the most important position in the NFL, BY FAR. Isn't he supposed to take up the biggest chunk of the cap?

If he was merely the highest paid player on the Lions, that'd be one thing. Nobody would criticize that. However, he is the highest paid player in the NFL.

He isn't the best player in the league... at all. He's not supposed to take up more cap for a team, than any other player in the game. So, your argument is very disingenuous.

This is Detroit's version of the Cutler deal. In a league starved for QB's, Stafford is too good to let walk. However, he isn't good enough to lift your team to a championship level either. It's a trap we've seen teams fall into before. Even when we saw him be paired up with a very good defense, and the best WR in the game. It was the same old story... no division title, no playoff wins. WC berth and a one-and-done. This is a QB who is 5-46 against winning teams, and 1-26 on the road.

I understand Detroit making this deal, I get it... they felt handcuffed. I don't blame them. However, I don't see it ending like they hope. Stafford is a part of the Andy Dalton and Jay Cutler clique... Not the Russel Wilson and Aaron Rodgers one.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He inherited an 0-16 team. He also suffered through Martin Mayhew which was Matt Millen's right hand man.

He dropped 380 yards and 4 TD's, on 65% completion percentage vs the Saints in his first playoff game.

323 yards and 1/1 on 67% completion percentage again Dallas on a bunk ass pass interference penalty.

Last year he had a rough game against an elite defense in one of the toughest places to play which is Seattle.

Also, the Lions haven't had a 1000 yard rusher since 2013.

Sure, it doesn't take away the fact that he hasn't won a playoff game. Stafford is a playmaker, plain and simple. QB's hold all the cards in negotiations.

I'd love to see where the Steelers would be without Big Ben at QB. Big Ben has won, yes. But don't even try to say he hasn't had plenty of amazing defenses to have his back over the years.

You're right. He did inherit an 0-16 team. But what has he done since then? He's played 8 years, no playoff wins and no division titles.

He dropped those stats? Awesome. Did he win the game? No he didn't.

I'm not saying Stafford isn't good, but he isn't worth being the highest paid player in NFL history.

The thing with the Steelers is the organization knows how to draft and sign free agents and make good decisions. The Lions FO doesn't, apparently.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not the worst deal either. He could have pushed for $30 million a year and guess what, Cousins will get just that.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't the best player in the league... at all. He's not supposed to take up more cap for a team, than any other player in the game. So, your argument is very disingenuous.

Neither was Derek Carr when he became the highest paid player in the league awhile back. This is the nature of the beast. Stafford has gotten better and better over the years and his best years are in front of him. Sorry he isn't as good as Aaron Rodgers but that guy might go down as the GOAT when all is said and done.

The salary cap has gone up every year for seemingly forever. 2-3 years from now. This deal will seem like a bargain.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He dropped those stats? Awesome. Did he win the game? No he didn't.

He played very well against NO and Dal. What do you want him to go play cornerback too? Get real.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither was Derek Carr when he became the highest paid player in the league awhile back. This is the nature of the beast. Stafford has gotten better and better over the years and his best years are in front of him. Sorry he isn't as good as Aaron Rodgers but that guy might go down as the GOAT when all is said and done.

The salary cap has gone up every year for seemingly forever. 2-3 years from now. This deal will seem like a bargain.

Neither was Derek Carr when he became the highest paid player in the league awhile back.

Eh... He's arguably the best young QB in the game. Which you could argue makes him the most (or at least, one of the most) valuable player in the game. At 25 last season, he had nearly single-handedly turned around a franchise that was an embarrassment. Had them ready for a deep post-season run prior to getting hurt.

This is the nature of the beast.

Yes, I understand the nature of QB contracts in the NFL, and the fact that they come in rotations. The precedent for them is constantly getting upped in numbers.

Stafford has gotten better and better over the years

He's going to be 30 at the end of this season, the time for "improvement" is kind of over. I would certainly hope that he had improved since coming into the league. lol. Bottom line, is that he's turned out a poor W/L record, has never won a playoff game and has career numbers that fall into the average to above average range.

and his best years are in front of him.

I mean, this is clearly baseless speculation. I see nothing factual out there to suggest that. I believe there's a good chance that his best opportunity at a title came and went with Suh and Calvin Johnson.

:pound::pound::pound:

No, it will not. 96 million guaranteed shatters the precedent set for QB's over previous years. For instance, Cutler's was only 54 million guaranteed 3 years ago. We've hit a ceiling with this deal, that it will be hard to surpass in the near-future. There may be a QB or two to hit the 100 mil guaranteed plateau over the next few years, but that's about it... Stafford will be one of the top 2-3 (or so) highest paid players in football for the duration of this deal.

He would have to win a Super Bowl, just for this to even arrive at hitting value with the deal. Unless Stafford morphs into Tom Brady, this will never be a "bargain".

Reading the rationalization behind this deal is SO reminiscent of Bears fans with the Cutler deal. Everything is so similar. Their numbers, their shortcomings, fan-bases rationalizing and making excuses for their failures... etc...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played very well against NO and Dal. What do you want him to go play cornerback too? Get real.

It really is deja vu reading these excuses. The same one's given to Cutler in Chicago for years.

I would hope he had good numbers against that NO team. Airing it out as much as he did facing a big deficit, against a god awful secondary playing soft coverage.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not the worst deal either. He could have pushed for $30 million a year and guess what, Cousins will get just that.

If Cousins stays healthy and performs well. It's possible that he could get 100 mil guaranteed.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He inherited an 0-16 team.

Irrelevant. Every QB taken #1 or #2 overall inherits a disaster of a football team that is in a rebuild.

It's been 8 years. The team he inherited in 2009, has nothing to do with his shortcomings over the past few years.

These excuses stop mattering when you get this big money contract going on 30 years old. Time to win...

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If every player were negotiating their contract simultaneously, then your premise would be correct. But, they weren't. Previous to Stafford, it was Carr. I don't track who has a contract coming up, but I bet the next top half of the league quarterback up for renewal will be at or a few dollars more than this, except for Tom Brady, who will not get a five year extension.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If every player were negotiating their contract simultaneously, then your premise would be correct. But, they weren't. Previous to Stafford, it was Carr. I don't track who has a contract coming up, but I bet the next top half of the league quarterback up for renewal will be at or a few dollars more than this, except for Tom Brady, who will not get a five year extension.

Not only that, Trubisky's a homo.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it will not. 96 million guaranteed shatters the precedent set for QB's over previous years. For instance, Cutler's was only 54 million guaranteed 3 years ago. We've hit a ceiling with this deal, that it will be hard to surpass in the near-future.

It really is deja vu reading these excuses. The same one's given to Cutler in Chicago for years.

So this is what it is really all about?

You still butthurt about giving all that money to mega bust Cutler? :lebowski2: