• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burrow signed

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bye bye Higgins. I will miss you brother. You were one of my favorites.

That is no team friendly deal that keeps his team in mind.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bye bye Higgins. I will miss you brother. You were one of my favorites.

That is no team friendly deal that keeps his team in mind.
It will be interesting to see the particulars of the deal. It's really not up to Burrow to take a 'team-friendly' deal - The Bengals will manage the cap the way they please and they will build their roster around it. People talk about Mahomes 'team-friendly' contract, but that hasn't ensured that they will keep everything around Mahomes.... Hill is gone. Jones is currently not playing after a contract dispute. Burrow took the deal that he earned - He's the highest paid at his position for the time being. He will likely be surpassed when Mahomes restructures and the beat will go on.

As for Higgins - Nobody will say anything, so it's impossible to know, but I think the Bengals were working on a deal with him all offseason. I think they had the Burrow deal mostly sealed up after the Herbert deal, but wanted to try to get Higgins done which would influence structure of both deals. But, nobody knows what the receiver market is right now. That will be set when Jefferson signs an extension or Lamb signs an extension. Higgins agent didn't bite on the early (cheaper) extension for Bates, and he's not going to bite now. My assumption is that Higgins will play on the tag next year and then be gone. If Jefferson signs an extension within the next week, I think Chase will sign a deal next offseason worth just a bit more.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see the particulars of the deal. It's really not up to Burrow to take a 'team-friendly' deal - The Bengals will manage the cap the way they please and they will build their roster around it. People talk about Mahomes 'team-friendly' contract, but that hasn't ensured that they will keep everything around Mahomes.... Hill is gone. Jones is currently not playing after a contract dispute. Burrow took the deal that he earned - He's the highest paid at his position for the time being. He will likely be surpassed when Mahomes restructures and the beat will go on.

As for Higgins - Nobody will say anything, so it's impossible to know, but I think the Bengals were working on a deal with him all offseason. I think they had the Burrow deal mostly sealed up after the Herbert deal, but wanted to try to get Higgins done which would influence structure of both deals. But, nobody knows what the receiver market is right now. That will be set when Jefferson signs an extension or Lamb signs an extension. Higgins agent didn't bite on the early (cheaper) extension for Bates, and he's not going to bite now. My assumption is that Higgins will play on the tag next year and then be gone. If Jefferson signs an extension within the next week, I think Chase will sign a deal next offseason worth just a bit more.
With another team maybe. If Higgins is waiting to sign a deal worth more than Jefferson, we are not signing Higgins unless we are letting Chase go. I see Jefferson getting close to what Bosa just signed for (5/170). Somewhere in the $30-$35 million a year category.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With another team maybe. If Higgins is waiting to sign a deal worth more than Jefferson, we are not signing Higgins unless we are letting Chase go. I see Jefferson getting close to what Bosa just signed for (5/170). Somewhere in the $30-$35 million a year category.
I can't imagine Tee's agent accepting much less. I think Tee and his agent will want top receiver money - Maybe not as much as Jefferson's deal, but not far behind. It's still a legitimate question to ask whether a team can really carry that much salary at the wide receiver position (assuming they sign Chase to a mega-deal). I think there best chance is to push for a 3 year extension right now.... Pay him slightly more than AJ Brown's 4 year deal. Tee plays 4 seasons at a high salary and is a FA again.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine Tee's agent accepting much less. I think Tee and his agent will want top receiver money - Maybe not as much as Jefferson's deal, but not far behind. It's still a legitimate question to ask whether a team can really carry that much salary at the wide receiver position (assuming they sign Chase to a mega-deal). I think there best chance is to push for a 3 year extension right now.... Pay him slightly more than AJ Brown's 4 year deal. Tee plays 4 seasons at a high salary and is a FA again.
I see a franchise tag coming until they can get Chase a long term deal and then them dealing Higgins for a 2nd round pick to someone outside the AFC.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals still have money and room to get it done. The question is...does what price does Tee want?

Reality - if he's seeking Jefferson money - he might as well just accept that he's going to get tagged (IMO) for 1 year, and then see F/A. Bengals have room to get the tag, extend chase, and still work deals with other guys.

Remember - the cap is a mirage and can easily be massaged (insert Watson joke here) to sign and do what is needed. And, until we see the particulars of Burrow's contract, it's hard to know how much future flexibility the Bengals have. My guess is that we'll see a large chunk of bonus paid up front, allowing it to be spread over the life of the extension...and that still doesn't take into account the ability to adjust any contract down the road to free up more money.

Also, to keep in mind, the Cap is expected to jump about $25M next year. Several guys will be coming off the books, and not likely to return (Williams, Boyd are top of mind, but also likely Awuzie as well).

Long way of saying - there's still plenty of room to get things done, but it has to make sense. If Higgins wants Jefferson money (again as I said up top) ... He gone because he's not Jefferson.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep the defense in tact.
have a decent OL
and a half way decent RB
whatever receivers we can afford, draft, rinse, and repeat.

if he can't win with that, maybe he'll make the call to restructure to allow for other players to sign.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the big issue with losing Tee has to do with depth at the receiver position. The Bengals haven't invested in tight ends and they are hit and miss with a commitment to the run game. With both Chase and Tee on the roster, they do fine when they lose one of them for a few games - Look at last year when Chase was out for 4-5 games with the hip. But with Tee gone, if Chase were to get hurt, I'm not exactly sure how Burrow would function. Even Patrick Mahomes, with all of his creativity, can't cover up bad receiver play (as we watched the other night). So, if one of the new guys can do it, fine.... Let him walk and reinvest. But, you need to get it right.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't forget reader. if it's a choice I keep him over hig

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, we are pretty deep at receiver compared to many teams. If Hig wants to be a #1 somewhere and get that pay day, he can do that. we could always draft someone promising or pick up some journeyman FA WR