• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Herbert signed

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how does Burrow make more than that, and still leave room for the guys around him? I don't even see how that is possible when one guy on a 53 man roster is taking almost 25% of the pie, as Mike Brown likes to call it.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how does Burrow make more than that, and still leave room for the guys around him? I don't even see how that is possible when one guy on a 53 man roster is taking almost 25% of the pie, as Mike Brown likes to call it.
Meh..... The structure of the deal keeps cap hits to the 'extension years.' The cap will have grown a lot by the point that those hits become problematic. There are ways to do it, but even the most creative cap people acknowledge that keeping all 3 would come with significant issues for roster construction. If the Bengals do decide to keep all three, they have to be a top 3 offense..... None of this top 3 for half the season, top 20 for the other half. They can't count on having Lou work his magic with a limited budget - The guy will be gone sooner or later.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also have to hit on their drafts. Things appear to be going better than they have been, but a lot of the recent run has been built through free agency. They'll need to demonstrate that they can develop their own - particularly on the lines.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$252M / 53 = $4.75M

You can anticipate Salary Cap growth at approx. 13% per year. That leaves wiggle room every year. The biggest problem comes if a QB has a career ending injury. ie: Theisman. Then the team has $50+M of dead cap. Depending on the team, Roger has the power to make adjustments.

If a team plane crashes and everyone perishes, Does that team still have to take a $250M "Dead Cap" hit? I doubt it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$252M / 53 = $4.75M

You can anticipate Salary Cap growth at approx. 13% per year. That leaves wiggle room every year. The biggest problem comes if a QB has a career ending injury. ie: Theisman. Then the team has $50+M of dead cap. Depending on the team, Roger has the power to make adjustments.

If a team plane crashes and everyone perishes, Does that team still have to take a $250M "Dead Cap" hit? I doubt it.
I am not smart enough to understand your math. However, I do know at some point there is market saturation and a cap out on these broadcast companies. People are cutting the cable all the time and doing subscription services, so the pot will eventually shrink, or their prices will need to increase, at which point people have to make the decision to re-subscribe or not. People are getting sick and tired of being held hostage by these big communication companies.

I am not worried about the Dead Cap, what I am worried about is having a super star QB and a bunch of average to below average players on the roster due to cap availability. Like Cincy said though, it becomes vital to build a team through the draft then, and you have to hit on at the very least HALF of your picks, every single year to at least mirror the illusion of a competent team.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not smart enough to understand your math. However, I do know at some point there is market saturation and a cap out on these broadcast companies. People are cutting the cable all the time and doing subscription services, so the pot will eventually shrink, or their prices will need to increase, at which point people have to make the decision to re-subscribe or not. People are getting sick and tired of being held hostage by these big communication companies.

I am not worried about the Dead Cap, what I am worried about is having a super star QB and a bunch of average to below average players on the roster due to cap availability. Like Cincy said though, it becomes vital to build a team through the draft then, and you have to hit on at the very least HALF of your picks, every single year to at least mirror the illusion of a competent team.
Bonus is a big key...those get spread out over the life of the contract.

Bengals also have a ton of room this year, and I believe next year..which means, they can pay out a bunch of the contract up front, or in the 1st two years, absorb the cap hit up front, leaving more cap room in the back years.

In all honesty - the cap is just an imaginary number...every year you see teams that are 30-40-50 million over the cap and they are just fine....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bonus is a big key...those get spread out over the life of the contract.
And guaranteed salaries.
I am not smart enough to understand your math.
2024 Salary Cap is $232M figure 13% for 2024 and that bumps it $30.2M to $262.2M Teams anticipate that extra cash and will spend it now. And you're right, there will come a day when there will be no more network billions. A problem now is that no one can see further than their nose.
If Sunday ticket costs $359 YouTube subscribers, what do you think a season ticket and watching a Sunday PPV on CBS will cost? I might even be alive to see every game PPV. Just think what the Super Bowl will cost you. Keep pushing it and your local bar will hve it on six screens and entrance to the br will be $100 per person and you will have to buy at least $100 in food and drink.

Movie theatres will get a license and charge $100 to watch the game on the IMAX screen. TANSTAAFL There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

In 2001 I had a chance to buy a 12 seat lower box at Gillette for one year for $30,000. That same box today is $300,000+ a year. It included playoff games as part of the $30,000. I would think it still does for $300K. If you can't watch games for free, my guess is that same box will bring the Krafts at least $1.2M a year or $100,000 a seat in the box. What the hell will a Luxury Box cost? $15,000,000 a year?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just have to go to war with the ones you got. We knew it was coming. I mean, Burrow gets a mediocre tight end and makes him into a coveted superstar, I'm sure we could get andy dalton back and surround him with good players, but we know how that turns out.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just have to go to war with the ones you got. We knew it was coming. I mean, Burrow gets a mediocre tight end and makes him into a coveted superstar, I'm sure we could get andy dalton back and surround him with good players, but we know how that turns out.
What will happen is something we've already seen....Bengals are picking and choosing guys in F/A, and not signing guys to 2nd contracts into their 30's, and their drafted guys get 2nd contracts taking them through their prime years (take a look at Pratt)

I do think that will change w/Reader...I think he gets a 2nd contract for several different reasons...but by, and large, the Bengals are putting money into their top tier guys and in skill positions, and using the draft and F/A to plug in the holes and open up salary space.

FWIW - again, the cap is just an imaginary number...contracts are changed all the time to avoid going over the cap. The Bengals are in a really good position to absorb a lot of money this year and next, and have under 1M in dead cap...which is unheard of (but not really for the Bengals) so, they have a very clear path going forward of how much room they are going to have.

As mentioned above - the cap will rise...projections are saying it will go from roughly 225M this year to around 255+ next year....and one thing the Bengals have always done well is mind how contracts are structured. I could also see Burrow getting a longer deal than 5 years (maybe 6 or 7) with large bonus payout, a sizable guarantee - and that means he can be paid up front, the team could take a large hit this year, and then spread the rest out over the next 6+ years. Then there's always renegotiations.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was wrong...Hendrickson bucks the trend with extension into his age 31 season...but production has been very good, and still only adds 1 year to the current deal...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was wrong...Hendrickson bucks the trend with extension into his age 31 season...but production has been very good, and still only adds 1 year to the current deal...

It's pretty clear that this was a win/win deal for player and team. The Bengals now control him for 3 more years while they shed their biggest salary cap hit for this season. They are either trying to squeeze several extensions with big first year money or the first year money for Joe's deal will be ludicrous. It would be interesting to see if they can get Reader to do a similar type extension.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty clear that this was a win/win deal for player and team. The Bengals now control him for 3 more years while they shed their biggest salary cap hit for this season. They are either trying to squeeze several extensions with big first year money or the first year money for Joe's deal will be ludicrous. It would be interesting to see if they can get Reader to do a similar type extension.
Guys that they, likely, have on the radar:

Burrow, Higgins, Chase (Of course...no surprise there)...

Wilson and Reader.

And there's still a chance that someone along the OL is gone between Collins and Williams...yeah, I know he's getting 1st team reps....but long-term he's not the answer at RT (I don't see him re-signing) and if Carman were to show he could do it...a trade would make a ton of sense, and open up another chunk of salary cap....

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wilson and Reader.

And there's still a chance that someone along the OL is gone between Collins and Williams...yeah, I know he's getting 1st team reps....but long-term he's not the answer at RT (I don't see him re-signing) and if Carman were to show he could do it...a trade would make a ton of sense, and open up another chunk of salary cap....
They are not going to just cut Williams because his entire year is fully guaranteed, right?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are not going to just cut Williams because his entire year is fully guaranteed, right?
I think if they trade him, because there's no extra money due, the team receiving him would absorb the contract...

They wouldn't cut him outright, I think they would work to find a trade partner...especially as injuries are likely to occur...but that also depends on how they feel about Collins' health.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wilson and Reader.

I thin the window to trade Williams has closed. Any team that would absorb that salary for one season would likely want to lock him up long-term. And I just don't think he's worth the big price at this point. On the other hand, if he has a good year at RT, he'll be a big target on the FA market due to his versatility. I'm intrigued to see how he does this year with the added motivation and a position that might be a better long-term fit for his career.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thin the window to trade Williams has closed. Any team that would absorb that salary for one season would likely want to lock him up long-term. And I just don't think he's worth the big price at this point. On the other hand, if he has a good year at RT, he'll be a big target on the FA market due to his versatility. I'm intrigued to see how he does this year with the added motivation and a position that might be a better long-term fit for his career.
I agree that it would be unlikely - but as injuries mount through training, things can change. It would also require a full belief that Carman would be the better option at RT, and require a belief that Collins will be healthy enough to be an option to backup RT allowing Ford and Adeniji to pretty much backup the interior OL spots.

That being said - keeping Williams also does give the Bengals a lot of flexibility with LT, should Brown sustain an injury. For that reason alone, I'm not sure I see them trading him - but again - a team willing to give up a 3rd rounder, or 4th rounder with conditions...then another 10+M towards another extension where you can eat a large portion of the contract up front would be rather enticing for a guy who is clearly going to be walking after this season...