• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford Signed

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is now highest
Paid
Player
In NFL history.

Per Schefter

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will never understand NFL contracts, he's ok but not all time pay check great

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the nfl for you... its def not pay based on results.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With him we have an outside shot at the playoffs without him we're the Rams

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's put up numbers consistent with being an all time great. But the majority of the reason is because the league makes more money every single year, and the pkayers get a contractual percentage of that. First draft contracts have been neutered. RB's rarely out play their rookie contracts. Defenders aren't allowed to defend. There's a billion WR's out there. So this being a QB driven league has driven every QB price tag sky high. Backup QB's who will never see the field are regularly paid more than even upper tier starters at some other positions. Colt McCoy, Drew Stanton and Ryan Fitzpatrick all make as much or more than Prater and Vinarieri, which is the same as Rolando McClain.

He's a good QB, but more than anything it's a sign of the times. What will be really interesting is if/when a top tier ish QB actually hits the open market of FA. Although even then I would expect him to hand pick his team/coach/playstyle rather than strictly go for the highest dollar.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought he'd end up making more money over his career than anyone ever.

Born at the right time....

Was hoping we'd trade him. Also hoped we'd trade Ziggy this offseason. Oh well, not like it matters anyway.

But now I know who is competing with Davis for what new jersey I'm gonna buy. Never thought I'd see the day....(I won't. This is like Henne competing for a starting gig. It's fun to pretend.)

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really much the Lions can do.

You can't let the guy walk and he is still way in the prime of his career with tons of starting experience and arm talent.

We could be the Jets and be rolling out McCown and Hackenberg. No thanks

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, if they can ever find a OL and run game to compliment Stafford, it might be worth all the pennies.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With him we have an outside shot at the playoffs without him we're the Rams

So you're okay with just having an outside shot at the playoffs?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really much the Lions can do.

You can't let the guy walk and he is still way in the prime of his career with tons of starting experience and arm talent.

We could be the Jets and be rolling out McCown and Hackenberg. No thanks

You can, however, not pay the guy as if he's changed the success of the franchise. The guy has yet to win a damn playoff game in 8 years. Yet he's the highest paid NFL player in history?

DetroitDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're okay with just having an outside shot at the playoffs?
Letting him walk is the quick way to 0-16 again. When the squealers go 0-16, or the roonies sell the team to a clown, ill imagine you have a something to add.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letting him walk is the quick way to 0-16 again. When the squealers go 0-16, or the roonies sell the team to a clown, ill imagine you have a something to add.

The issue with the "Squealers" is that we won't go 0-16 because the people in our organization make smart decisions. Paying Stafford like he's the greatest QB in the NFL is a mistake. By looking at his contract, you'd think he'd at least won a damn playoff game. Noone is saying you let him walk, but have some common sense and realize that he isn't worth that much.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue with the "Squealers" is that we won't go 0-16 because the people in our organization make smart decisions. Paying Stafford like he's the greatest QB in the NFL is a mistake. By looking at his contract, you'd think he'd at least won a damn playoff game. Noone is saying you let him walk, but have some common sense and realize that he isn't worth that much.

It's a team game. The Lions have made it to the playoffs in two of the past three years. Stafford set the record for a QB leading fourth quarter comebacks in a season last year. He stayed on the field for the end of the season while injured not because he's a prima dona, but because it gave the Lions the best chance to win the division. They didn't, and were one and done in the playoffs, but it wasn't because Stafford wasn't acting as a leader, but because there wasn't a lot of alternatives. He's not the all time great, but he is a difference maker.

What's being missed is that the marketplace for quarterbacks is a demand pool of thirty-two and a supply pool of desirable candidates at under sixteen. Granted, I thought the final contract would have been closer to 25MM a year than where it ended up, but the fact is that he's in the top half, his contract was up, and this is where the market was trending.

NFL football generates a lot of revenue. It sucks that he didn't take a Brady team building deal, but until the NFLPA agreement resets and caps what any individual can make within a franchise, this push up for quarterbacks will continue. Stafford at 27MM is hard to swallow, until you see Glennon at, what, 16MM, and Glennon is not a proven starter. Brock Osweiler, anybody?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More than I cared to spend and for less years. I was hoping more like 7 years and 170Mil. 90+ mil guaranteed and 50+ mil signing binus spreads out a little better and we dont have to worry about extending him ever again. Can let him walk in his age 36/37 season. We could have front loaded the first couple years so we would have the option to cut him in the last year or 2 if he craps out sooner than expected.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad Stafford will continue to lead the team. I'm also glad that it gives Quinn the ability to move one of his young QBs when eventually some GM will offer him something stupid for one of them.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda like in the Fantrax league, eventually someone will offer me a 1st for Kessler. You know it's coming.