• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Very true sir.

I'm pro Chez3 taking the backup spot from the get go but I wouldn't be opposed to him coming up later (as I argued). I simply am not quite sure I believe Sabean/Boch are wiling to favor him over Stewart/Whiteside, therefore I thought of a possible outcome.

This is wat John Sickles wrote of Sanchez:

2012 Baseball Prospect Book:

His best skills are defensive: he’s mobile, has a strong arm, and receives well. He threw out 34% of runners last year (and his whole career). His glove will keep him in/near the majors for a long time. His bat isn’t hopeless by any means: he makes contact and shows gap power, but isn’t expected to be a big home run threat. I think he will be an excellent backup but I doubt he’ll hit quite enough to hold a starting job long-term. Grade C+.

This is a guy who has hit much better than Stew/Whitey at every level, yet shouldn't be a guy we're concerned with "ruining" by over-promoting.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is wat John Sickles wrote of Sanchez:

This is a guy who has hit much better than Stew/Whitey at every level, yet shouldn't be a guy we're concerned with "ruining" by over-promoting.

Most scouts make him out to be Ramon Hernandez 2.0

Personally, I would be ecstatic if he has that kind of offensive production to go along with his solid D and receiving skills.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bay Area News Group writer Alex Pavlovic chat transcript (edited).

Good afternoon Alex, this Pill versus Belt roster spot is heating up. What's your take? Can you cool us down?
Alex Pavlovic: Which side would cool you down? I think Pill makes the team regardless, they need a RH power bat off the bench

Odds Hector Sanchez breaks camp with the big club?
Alex Pavlovic: Low, maybe 10 %? But he's starting today, another shot to make his case...

Where do you see Eric Surkamp playing this season?
Alex Pavlovic: Fresno, until they need him in the rotation because of an injury. Which will happen at some point....

Burris or Fontenot?
Alex Pavlovic: Bullet to my head? Fontenot, because of their respective histories here. But I might choose Burriss if it was my call -- he can play LF a little and has more speed

Any thoughts about the need or possibility for three catchers early on so as not to overtax Buster? Stewart for defense and Hector for offense?
Alex Pavlovic: I think they should do it and I think at some point this season they will. But not in the first month

Where does Brown end up?
Alex Pavlovic: Brown should be in Richmond, but he'll play in Fresno at some point this season. They want to move him quickly so he can be the guy next season

Having a right handed pinch hitter on the roster and sending Belt to Fresno would get me hot under the collar. But if Belt doesn't hit these next 2 weeks that's where he deserves to go. Whatcha think about them apples?
Alex Pavlovic: Don't see why the RH pinch hitter would be a big problem. In the National League you need that guy, and Belt isn't going to develop by backing Huff up four or five times a week

Any chance Sabean makes a move for a better back-up to Posey?
Alex Pavlovic: Absolutely not. The one position they're stacked at is catcher. Whiteside and Stewart are fine as backups and the staff LOVES both guys, which is important. If they need a bat, they've got Hector. And Tommy Joseph is coming fast...

There is no way that Eli Whiteside makes the team right? I would think the Giants would go with Buster Posey and Chris Stewart at catcher.
Alex Pavlovic: I would think you're correct. Stewart is the favorite

Anyway in your mind Blanco starts in Fresno?
Alex Pavlovic: Oh there's definitely a chance. But if the season started today, I think he'd be a big leaguer. He's earned it, and they need his speed off the bench

Final outfield Nate, Melky and Angel?
Alex Pavlovic: Yes. And again, I'd guess that Blanco is the backup

Realistically, what percentage of the time does Posey catch? 75%?
Alex Pavlovic: I'd say a little less. I think they're overly optimistic about how he'll feel in July and August

You've seen the wealth of catchers the Giants have; who, that you have been able to see, beside Busta, is a real keeper?
Alex Pavlovic: Tommy Joseph was very, very impressive. He'll either be Buster's replacement or he'll be some excellent trade bait

Any read on the chemistry of this group?
Alex Pavlovic: It's tough in the spring because there are so many guys in the clubhouse, but it's definitely still a good group. Guys who have come over from other teams rave about this clubhouse

who has suprised u most in camp?
Alex Pavlovic: I didn't think Hector Sanchez could hit like this...Crawford's defense is unbelievable to watch in person, day after day after day

Hey Pav, can you pass me a pen?
Alex Pavlovic: I see my press box neighbors have found me...

Hector and Blanco keep making their case for starting on the big club. Who do think would have to go to make that any kind of reality, assuming no one starts on the DL?
Alex Pavlovic: Sanchez probably won't make it because they'll keep a veteran catcher (likely Stewart). I think Blanco is on the team right now, which doesn't bode well for Belt

Is Theriot a lock to make the team?
Alex Pavlovic: Yah, I think so. He's the backup at three positions

Is it true u were off this weekend to fly wingman for Burrell?
Alex Pavlovic: I wish. I hear he's a legend...

Can you venture an opinion on Hembree? Looks like he has closer stuff, and would be a wicked 8th inn guy to set up the Beard. Maybe not to open the season, but by the ASG?
Alex Pavlovic: He won't be the 8th inning guy this season unless something goes seriously wrong in that bullpen. But he's coming, and he's coming fast. Definitely looks like the real deal, although I think he needs two or three more months in the minors to work on his command

Zito- pitching from the squat going to stick? Seems he's always working a new delivery in spring only to go back to old ways.
Alex Pavlovic: I think this one will stick. It's not drastic, and the results have been good thus far

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
More from Alex:

— For the prospect nuts out there, a familiar name came in to pitch today. Scott Barnes, who was once traded for Ryan Garko, pitched three innings, allowing just one hit and striking out four of the nine Giants he faced, including Posey. Thinking Posey might end the game with a walk-off, I watched the ninth inning from just behind home plate. (What? A writer can dream…)

Barnes was filthy, throwing a slider that Posey swung right through. “He was really good, really impressive,” said Posey, who went out of his way to point out how well Barnes pitched. “Real good slider and he was hiding the ball well.”

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster goes deep yesterday!!!

The box score now reads: Posey .111

But oh what a .111 it is. Posey finally got on the board today, hitting a solo homer to right to snap a 0 for 8 start to his spring. He’s Buster Posey, so you never actually worry too much about his ability to get going with the bat. Still, it’s always nice to get that first one.

“We’re all human – I can tell you he’s glad to get that hit,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “It’s been a while since he’s had one.”

Posey’s last hit came May 25 of last year, shortly before that thing happened. His last homer? April 24, 2011.

In the dugout there were plenty of fist pumps and smiles. But there was never any doubt that Posey’s power was coming.

“We’re not worried about Buster hitting,” Matt Cain said. “He’s going to hit, that’s what Buster has done since he’s gotten here. Obviously it’s good for him to get it going, but we’re not worried about him on that side.

“We’re really not worried about him at all. He’s looking good.”

Also, Matt Cain really needs to sign an extension soon.....please, please, please. 5 year $112.5Million contract Matty, take it or leave it.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That was a bad trade in hindsight. I have been keeping up with Barnes, he pitched poorly initially after the trade, but he has come along nicely recently. He should pitch in the bigs this year

Yeah, never liked the trade, but it made sense at the time - the Giants needed a RH bench bat to mount a charge in 2009. But man was Garko a butcher in the field or what? And then after Sabean released Garko in the off-season, the pitchfork carrying dullards were in frenzy. This nonsensical fangraphs' article was typical of the sentiment at the time. It's kind of hilarious to read it, and the comments, now, considering Garko was out of thr majors after another 35 ab, and Sabean replaced him with Huff, and the Giants would go on to Win the World Series.

BTW, Pill 2012 > Garko 2009.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I found my newest favorite baseball site: Praiseball Bospectus

ABOUT

We shouldn’t have to explain sabermetrics to you. The fact that you’re reading Praiseball Bospectus (and reading our about page, no less) suggests that you’re the type of person already familiar with sabermetrics, you nerd. But this blog isn’t about sabermetrics; there’s an endless supply of other sites about that. This blog is instead about SABR. Not SABR, the organization, but SABR, the people.

Practitioners of sabermetrics are most commonly called sabermetricians. The writers and zombie-slave commenter army from The Book Blog are starting to use saberist as of this writing [shudder]. But at PB, we prefer the style of “Cubbie-Tim” from Bleed Cubbie Blue as seen in his mostly-incoherent questions in a wonderful back-and-forth with that man of mystery, Tom Tango.

The petty feuds, terrible analysis, back-biting, and overall super dorkiness of everyone involved makes the world of SABR hilarious and sad at the same time. As long as you like baseball stats, of course. And you’re still a giant nerd.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's lineup:

Blanco CF
F. Sanchez DH
Belt 1B
Pill LF
Schierholtz RF
Fontenot 2B
Crawford SS
Gillaspie 3B
Stewart C
Zito SP

3 starters, 4 bench guys, and 2 Grizzlies. Should be interesting with Mr. Crouch on the mound.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mark DeRosa:

The past two springs, Mark DeRosa knew the trouble that lay ahead for him. He had felt numbness and pain in his surgically repaired left wrist during those offseasons, and he felt pessimism about his chances at a healthy, productive season. “You can hide it as much as you want,” DeRosa said. “But I kind of knew it was going to flare up.”

WashingtonPost

Not sure if I'm more disappointed in Mark, or the Giants' doctors.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight's lineup:

Blanco CF
F. Sanchez DH
Belt 1B
Pill LF
Schierholtz RF
Fontenot 2B
Crawford SS
Gillaspie 3B
Stewart C
Zito SP

3 starters, 4 bench guys, and 2 Grizzlies. Should be interesting with Mr. Crouch on the mound.

It is pathetic that Zito has to resort to things like crouching. Crouching ain't gonna bring 2004 (or whenever-the-fuck-he-was-good-again back). I cannot wait until we do not have to endure more of this unicorn-manure.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Walk followed by a homerun. Need more crouch.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's going to be a pleasure watching Craw play SS.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nate's ownership of lefties continues....