• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True, but Kruk says the pitchers prefer to throw to Eli/Stewy at this point. Chez3 will be up by June.

Sure. Remember when they preferred Molina to Posey?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that leaves us with 57 guys now. Interesting that they are having Adrianza skip AA and head to AAA. Looks like his DP partner should be Culberson.

Not going to lie, on the offensive side of the ball, Fresno should be pretty interesting next year. Belt, Peguero, Culberson, Chez3, Gillaspie, Adrianza, Kieschnick.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. Remember when they preferred Molina to Posey?

Apples and Oranges, man. Posey was a first round silver spikes winner. Chez3 was signed as an amateur free agent. Posey was "can't miss," Chez3 is "out of nowhere."

That said, they do share one thing in common -- sent to Fresno to work with Decker on defense.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that leaves us with 57 guys now. Interesting that they are having Adrianza skip AA and head to AAA. Looks like his DP partner should be Culberson.

Not going to lie, on the offensive side of the ball, Fresno should be pretty interesting next year. Belt, Peguero, Culberson, Chez3, Gillaspie, Adrianza, Kieschnick.

Agreed, and repped for knowledge.

C -- Chez3
1B -- Belt
2B -- Culberson
SS -- Adrianza
3B -- Gillaspie
LF -- Peguero
CF -- Christian
RF -- Kieshnick

That's a batting order.

The question is: beyond Kamp and Ortiz, who is in the rotation?

My guess is Burres, Fitzgerald, and Loux.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, and repped for knowledge.

C -- Chez3
1B -- Belt
2B -- Culberson
SS -- Adrianza
3B -- Gillaspie
LF -- Peguero
CF -- Christian
RF -- Kieshnick

That's a batting order.

The question is: beyond Kamp and Ortiz, who is in the rotation?

My guess is Burres, Fitzgerald, and Loux.

Add Yorkin to that group and maybe a couple others that I can't think of. But yes probably the first 3.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm going to try and head to a couple games this year for sure. I'll let you all know what I see. It is exciting though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My understanding is that at this point, there is no actual assigning to level. Anyone on the 40 who is cut is by technicality assigned to AAA.

That said, I expect him to be in Fresno.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Apples and Oranges, man. Posey was a first round silver spikes winner. Chez3 was signed as an amateur free agent. Posey was "can't miss," Chez3 is "out of nowhere."

That said, they do share one thing in common -- sent to Fresno to work with Decker on defense.

Yes, I do recall you saying that Posey's promotion was held back so that he could work with Decker for a month. And not because of service time considerations. IMO, if Chez is sent to Fresno, it's not simply to "work with Decker," it's to play everyday. After all, I think he can learn more from the major league coaching staff than he can from Decker.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

C3PO was not exactly a complete unknown. He was a 6-figure bonus baby.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try and head to a couple games this year for sure. I'll let you all know what I see. It is exciting though.

I will be going to a few myself this season.

I am moving from Pasadena to Ceres (pronounced "series") between Turlock and Modesto. It will be nice to be back in Giant country, though we only live about 10 minutes from Dodger Stadium, and it is really nice to get there and back quickly, even with LA traffic. The downside is actually being there. That stadium has not aged well, and the fans have become faux Raider fans. I can't even wear anything Giants there without getting massive shyte.

Never been to the Fresno yard, heard it is nice, for AAA.

Not sure I am going to get used to rooting for the local Modesto Nuts.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I do recall you saying that Posey's promotion was held back so that he could work with Decker for a month. And not because of service time considerations. IMO, if Chez is sent to Fresno, it's not simply to "work with Decker," it's to play everyday. After all, I think he can learn more from the major league coaching staff than he can from Decker.

Maybe, but as you say he wouldn't play every day. He needs to play every day to work on his receiving and he won't be able to do that in SF. I know that they consider Decker something of a catching guru and that Bochy really likes him to work with the young catchers. I'd be pretty surprised if Chez3 breaks camp with the big club. I'm thinking Stewy. From what I saw (and I'm no expert), Chez3 really needs to work on his footwork throwing to second.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Maybe, but as you say he wouldn't play every day. He needs to play every day to work on his receiving and he won't be able to do that in SF. I know that they consider Decker something of a catching guru and that Bochy really likes him to work with the young catchers. I'd be pretty surprised if Chez3 breaks camp with the big club. I'm thinking Stewy. From what I saw (and I'm no expert), Chez3 really needs to work on his footwork throwing to second.

Remember when Pablo learned how to play 3B at the major league level? Sure, catcher is a much harder position to learn, but chez3 (or is it c3po?) isn't unschooled in the position, he just needs refinement and reps. Posey's need for rest takes care of the latter.

Here's the rub...can the Giants afford to give away two positions out of nine every time Posey can't catch? If he's out 25% of the time, the answer is no for me. I don't think Chez3's development will be harmed by an early promotion, and with the catching depth in the pipeline, it's worth the risk.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Pablo learned how to play 3B at the major league level? Sure, catcher is a much harder position to learn, but chez3 (or is it c3po?) isn't unschooled in the position, he just needs refinement and reps. Posey's need for rest takes care of the latter.

Here's the rub...can the Giants afford to give away two positions out of nine every time Posey can't catch? If he's out 25% of the time, the answer is no for me. I don't think Chez3's development will be harmed by an early promotion, and with the catching depth in the pipeline, it's worth the risk.

IMO, keep Chez3 in AAA till June/July to play everyday then promote him. Buster will need to rest his legs more in the second half than in the first, get Chez3 as much as experience as possible then have him serve as the primary backup. With catching everyday in AAA then serving as the backup in the majors, he should accumulate about 700 innings behind the dish (450 ABs or so), a very solid workload.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You make a solid point, but I'll bet that Bochy will defer to his SPs. They seem to prefer Stewy/Whiteside.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
IMO, keep Chez3 in AAA till June/July to play everyday then promote him. Buster will need to rest his legs more in the second half than in the first, get Chez3 as much as experience as possible then have him serve as the primary backup. With catching everyday in AAA then serving as the backup in the majors, he should accumulate about 700 innings behind the dish (450 ABs or so), a very solid workload.

This simply reinforces my point, since we already know he's going to be eased back into catching full time (with the likely possiblity that he never catches full time in any single week this year).

You can't go into the year knowing you're going to have two pitcher spots in the order every fourth game. If not Chez3, I'm surprised Sabean didn't make a trade/signing for a better backup.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This simply reinforces my point, since we already know he's going to be eased back into catching full time (with the likely possiblity that he never catches full time in any single week this year).

You can't go into the year knowing you're going to have two pitcher spots in the order every fourth game. If not Chez3, I'm surprised Sabean didn't make a trade/signing for a better backup.

Very true sir.

I'm pro Chez3 taking the backup spot from the get go but I wouldn't be opposed to him coming up later (as I argued). I simply am not quite sure I believe Sabean/Boch are wiling to favor him over Stewart/Whiteside, therefore I thought of a possible outcome.