• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Posey and Panda, yeah. Everybody else is replaceable without a huge drop off in production. More than anything though, I think my June lineup will be the most fun to watch. Drop Huff and add Blanco, with Sanchez mark III as the backup catcher, and you got a youngish athletic/speedy team.

:welcome:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not so sure Melkman is quite as replaceable as you seemed to indicate.

Well....his babip is 64 points above his career average. At the risk of missing a true expression of talent finally emerging at age 27 and 3400AB, he still projects as a slightly above average OF.

.286/.335/.425 OPS+ 104 <-----put up after 1500 major league AB

Although that does include his really poor year in ATL. It will be interesting to see where is career goes from here.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well....his babip is 64 points above his career average. At the risk of missing a true expression of talent finally emerging at age 27 and 3400AB, he still projects as a slightly above average OF.

.286/.335/.425 OPS+ 104 <-----put up after 1500 major league AB

Although that does include his really poor year in ATL. It will be interesting to see where is career goes from here.

I am not a huge believer in static BABIPB. BABIP is a decent indicator of luck, but it is also a good indicator of a guy developing.

Let's take an extreme example...

You would expect Teh Lord to have a MUCH higher BABIP than I would have. I would have a VERY hard time getting the ball out of the inf, while Teh Lord would scorch it all over the place (alright, mostly to right field). Would you them conclude that I am just unlucky with my 0.082 BABIP and he was equally lucky with his .386 BABIP?

There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that Melk became a different player after his '10 season with Atlanta. He was embarrassed to the point that he COMPLETELY changed his focus in live and showed up to ST in '11 ripped and focused on the game. I would EXPECT a guy who turned himself around to that extent to have a noticeably higher BABIP.

On the same argument, I would expect a guy who is 38 to have a lower BABIP than he had when he was 29.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am not a huge believer in static BABIPB. BABIP is a decent indicator of luck, but it is also a good indicator of a guy developing.

Let's take an extreme example...

You would expect Teh Lord to have a MUCH higher BABIP than I would have. I would have a VERY hard time getting the ball out of the inf, while Teh Lord would scorch it all over the place (alright, mostly to right field). Would you them conclude that I am just unlucky with my 0.082 BABIP and he was equally lucky with his .386 BABIP?

I don't think you understand how babip is used with hitters. If you put up a .082 babip for a couple of years, and then had a week at .300, we'd first think luck. If it continued for a few more weeks we might think an extraordinarily lucky outlier, and if it went longer than that we'd have to take a serious look at what was going on, with the distinct possibly of an expression of a true talent level change. To be clear: babip is not a stat used to compare players, but rather a stat to compare a player to himself. So your point here is misguided.

There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that Melk became a different player after his '10 season with Atlanta. He was embarrassed to the point that he COMPLETELY changed his focus in live and showed up to ST in '11 ripped and focused on the game. I would EXPECT a guy who turned himself around to that extent to have a noticeably higher BABIP.

Good point, which is why I already noted it my post, i.e. "At the risk of missing a true expression of talent finally emerging at age 27 and 3400AB". That said, if this is a guy that allowed himself to suck for a couple of years, why wouldn't he also be the kind of guy that falls back into mediocrity after he cashed in? That's why I stated: "It will be interesting to see where his career goes from here.". And btw, his babip is 34 points higher than it was in KC. If it was the same now as it was in KC, I might now have more confidence that this is the "real" Melky.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fuck, wrong thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OK, here's my first post that I have managed to find on the subject of Sanchez, 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM :

Yeah, the problem with this, is that Sanchez could hit off-speed pitches well. You were new here so I wasn't going to come down on you for it, but I thought it was BS then, and still do.