• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now we got the following expected positional versatility:

Well, if you are pinch-hitting Sanchez in the bottom of the 9th (or 10th, etc) then sure. But I doubt they want Pablo catching much in high stress Wilson situations.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much offseason rosterbation...I think we just got our sweet release...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, if you are pinch-hitting Sanchez in the bottom of the 9th (or 10th, etc) then sure. But I doubt they want Pablo catching much in high stress Wilson situations.

I wouldn't expect Pablo to have catch more than once or twice in 162 games - a couple of innings. This is more about keeping his options open so that an opposing manager doesn't feel he can force Bochy into an unfavorable match-up. Though, if Pablo was a full-time catcher he'd be hugely valuable - until his body broke down.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm amazed too. I'm such a dumbass.

To be fair, Whiteside has a lifetime .218 batting avg. Stewart batted .204 last year. Why not give the kid a chance, given the competition?

Hey dumbass! :whoo:

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It saddens me that Whiteside was optioned to Fres-neck and Stewart was the one traded. If something happens to one of the two rostered catchers, Whiteside is going to be the one called up. I was hoping to never see him don teh French Vanilla again.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well exactly, when your 2nd best infielder is hurt (again), IF is going to be your weakness.

Even with Franchez on the DL, I felt the OF depth was more of an issue because Melky's defense worries me and Huff's and Belt's OF D routinely scare me. Keeping Schierholtz and Blanco instead of Arias or Fontenot is what pushes the depth question in favor of the OF, while maintaining good D in the IF. Certainly, Franchez will (hopefully) balance things out nicely upon his return.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It saddens me that Whiteside was optioned to Fres-neck and Stewart was the one traded. If something happens to one of the two rostered catchers, Whiteside is going to be the one called up. I was hoping to never see him don teh French Vanilla again.

If Posey is the guy who misses a good stretch of games, it would be a problem for Timmy and Affeldt mostly. Those are two guys who need good ball blockers to pitch at their peak effectiveness.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
BTW, does anyone else find it ironic that Chez3 owes a lot of his good fortune to Scott Cousins? Definitely a Christmas card would be in order.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, does anyone else find it ironic that Chez3 owes a lot of his good fortune to Scott Cousins? Definitely a Christmas card would be in order.

Barry Zito too (Barry really liked throwing to him in AAA, gave props).

2 of the more unfavorable people to this organization attribute to the kids career... he's off to a great start. But I think we have found Zito's personal catcher.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently nobody wanted to see him in pinstripes either...:frusty:

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:)

Any chance They are counting on Pill to fill in in a pinch at second as well?

I wouldn't be surprised. Not in a general (starting) sense, as his defense is "acceptable", not great. Also because Theriot has always hit well against LHP. It does add a little flexibility, though.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
:)

Any chance They are counting on Pill to fill in in a pinch at second as well?

If by pinch, you mean a 17th inning game or a freak clubhouse shower incident that sidelines half the infield, then yes.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently nobody wanted to see him in pinstripes either...:frusty:

Indeed, well played.

I know we were all disappointed in EW last year, to the point that he has been sarcastically blamed for any misfortune that falls on Teh Ballclub.

However, in the interest of fairness and truth, I feel a need to re-post the following:

Giants | Eli Whiteside recovering from elbow surgery

Wed, 07 Dec 2011 22:51:10 -0800

San Francisco Giants C Eli Whiteside (elbow) recently had surgery on his right elbow, and he is doing well. The ailment affected his throwing all season. The team is likely to non-tender Whiteside.

Source: The Mercury News - Andrew Baggarly

Read more: Eli Whiteside, C, San Francisco Giants

Dude was playing hurt, and was giving it all he had. Sorry if that spoils anyone's fun.

:hurt:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, well played.

I know we were all disappointed in EW last year, to the point that he has been sarcastically blamed for any misfortune that falls on Teh Ballclub.

However, in the interest of fairness and truth, I feel a need to re-post the following:

San Francisco Giants C Eli Whiteside (elbow) recently had surgery on his right elbow, and he is doing well. The ailment affected his throwing all season. The team is likely to non-tender Whiteside.

Dude was playing hurt, and was giving it all he had. Sorry if that spoils anyone's fun.

Whiteside's fault he hurt his throwing elbow...

;)

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indeed, well played.

Does that explain his .218 career BA! :boxing: jk (well sorta). Fair enough though. Still I'm glad they're giving Hector a shot hopefully he can play good D call a good game and hit .260 with some pop as the backup... Otherwise Whitey is back!

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who's just up here for a cup of coffee before Freddy comes back? Hmm... Zito! (can't a brother dream?) I'd have to guess Pill - who then backs up Sandoval? Seriously who would? (Wait seriously Pill is the backup 3B?)

Der... Manny played 3B before, twice even! Ooooh Theriot played 3B 8 times! I know it's Huff - 360 games! You know Boch goes with the vet, I'm going with Huff. (God I hope Panda stays healthy) kinda miss a Fontenot all of a sudden...

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Zito too (Barry really liked throwing to him in AAA, gave props).

2 of the more unfavorable people to this organization attribute to the kids career... he's off to a great start. But I think we have found Zito's personal catcher.

Do you sense the baseball gods have stopped frowning on the Giants? And is that a hint of a smile on their faces?