• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that Burriss looks great: thinner, faster than ever, good eye at the plate. Any chance Theriot is dumped and Burriss gets that last spot?

I suppose there's a chance but then why did we get Theriot in the first place?

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Jim Bowden:

FIRST BASE: Brandon Belt and Aubrey Huff

The Giants were concerned about Belt’s inability to hit the inside fastball during his rookie season, which had been his weak spot going back to college. Giants hitting coach Hensley Meulens moved him off the plate late last year, which then caused problems on outside pitches and breaking balls under his hands. So Belt played winter ball in the Dominican Republic to work on his swing and came to camp with the mechanical adjustments he needed to make to get to that pitch and cover the whole strike zone.

Huff had a disappointing season for the Giants, appeared out of shape and in possible decline. However, he came into camp in terrific shape this year to make sure he doesn’t lose his job. General manager Brian Sabean and skipper Bruce Bochy said Huff is the front-runner at first base and Belt would have to be much better than Huff to win the job. Indeed, Sabean and Bochy tend to lean toward veterans. However, this is also a team in dire need of middle-of-the-order bats to help Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey. Belt has a chance to be one of those guys. But he needs 500 at-bats in a season to be given a chance to develop into that type of productive hitter. The Giants will probably start Huff, but I’d rather give the full-time job to Belt.

My choice: Belt
Likely winner: Huff

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Probably because the Giants didn't know that Burriss would improve as much as he has (assuming the rumors are correct and he is playing a lot better).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because the Giants didn't know that Burriss would improve as much as he has (assuming the rumors are correct and he is playing a lot better).

No matter how much he has improved, he still can't play shortstop in a pinch. Theriot can. That said, I hope I'm wrong.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Burriss has had several chances at the major league level, and has yet to impress. Theriot was a regular SS-2B for the 2011 WS champions.

It is still ST, and early at that. Let's not jump to any conclusions just yet about Burriss. That being said, I hope he can keep it up.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I've always been a proponent of not rushing guys too quickly, so I would hate to have Sanchez start the season in SF. Sure, Sanchez had a break-out year in San Jose last year but was then was promoted to Fresno, where he completely stalled. He's had less than 170 plate appearances above A ball. He needs to go back to Fresno to improve (show he can hit well in the higher levels, AND improve his "calling the game"). Sanchez can hit the ball a mile when thrown a fastball down the middle. What he needs to prove that he can hit when facing better pitching. He has just a third of a year in Fresno (where he didn't do well). I'd like to see him develop a little bit, see decent curveballs and changeups and sliders in AAA. Because if he doesn't, when he sees GOOD to GREAT curveballs and changeups and sliders in the majors, he's going to flail. There's no reason to rush him. He's just 22.

2) If Blanco makes the squad, then who doesn't? My pick would be Burriss. With Pill and Theriot and Fontenot on the team, I think Burriss is last man standing. I'm pretty sure he has no options left, so there's a risk he'd be picked up on waivers (but I'm OK with that).

I don't have Burriss on the 25 man; I have Pill, Swamp Thing, and Riot as the backup IF. Burriss is out of options, and I doubt he makes it through waivers. He deserves a job with someone, I think he's a major leaguer.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say I'm excited to see what Nolan's next handle will be after 'Surinam' gets banned, but it will be mildly interesting. And then again after that, and so on.

Frankly since I blocked his posts I don't care much.

His original handle is back on the Niners board.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His original handle is back on the Niners board.

Not anymore, filo banned it, and MozartsGhost for good measure.

He'll just keep playing whack-a-dick whenever he crawls over here again.

:frusty:

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Because The Riot has a ML track record of at least being average up the middle IF.

If Burriss really is THAT improved, then he'll probably make the team over Pill. I promise you, after last years shit show at SS and 2B, that The Riot makes the team out of spring training. No way they settle on a wild card like Burriss, when Riot cost all of 200k more, and is a known ML commodity.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that Burriss looks great: thinner, faster than ever, good eye at the plate. Any chance Theriot is dumped and Burriss gets that last spot?

I heard that too...

but. As people have said, Theriot is proven, Burriss has had chances. The Riot can play SS and 2B, Burriss can play second but not SS. Even if Manny plays the OF more, Blanco, Christian and Graham are all better defenders out there and just as fast. So, why have a mediocre defender at all those positions when you could have plus at both?

I think Manny goes to the Giants personal wasteland for AAAA players-Pittsburgh.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Burriss has had several chances at the major league level, and has yet to impress. Theriot was a regular SS-2B for the 2011 WS champions.

It is still ST, and early at that. Let's not jump to any conclusions just yet about Burriss. That being said, I hope he can keep it up.

What he said.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants thinning the locker room in Scottsdale:

After Monday’s game, RHP Seth Rosin, RHP Shawn Sanford, C Andrew Susac and IF Joe Panik were reassigned to minor league camp and IF Ehire Adrianza was optioned to Triple-A. Before the game, OF Francisco Peguero was optioned to Triple-A and C Tommy Joseph, who had two home runs Saturday, was reassigned to minor league camp.

Proving yet again that my Susac stalking skills are in midseason form.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants thinning the locker room in Scottsdale:

After Monday’s game, RHP Seth Rosin, RHP Shawn Sanford, C Andrew Susac and IF Joe Panik were reassigned to minor league camp and IF Ehire Adrianza was optioned to Triple-A. Before the game, OF Francisco Peguero was optioned to Triple-A and C Tommy Joseph, who had two home runs Saturday, was reassigned to minor league camp.

Proving yet again that my Susac stalking skills are in midseason form.

Edit: add this --

Prior to Sunday’s game, RHP Stephen Harrold, RHP Jake Dunning, RHP Austin Fleet and LHP David Quinowski were also assigned to minor league camp.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's lineup in Scottsdale v. Chubbs:

Pagan CF
Cabrera LF
Sandoval 3B
Posey C
Huff 1B
Belt RF
Theriot 2B
Crawford SS
Bumgarner P

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This just in.....Chez3 is a better major league hitter right now than either Eli or Stew.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just in.....Chez3 is a better major league hitter right now than either Eli or Stew.

This in for a while....my dead grandma is a better major league hitter right now than either Eli or Stew.

:rip:

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Today's lineup in Scottsdale v. Chubbs:

Pagan CF
Cabrera LF
Sandoval 3B
Posey C
Huff 1B
Belt RF
Theriot 2B
Crawford SS
Bumgarner P

Other than Sanchez not a 2nd...that is probably your regular lineup right there....

Signed, Captain Obvious:hockeysmile:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Sanchez not a 2nd...that is probably your regular lineup right there....

Signed, Captain Obvious:hockeysmile:

Nope. You forgot Nate in RF.

Belt is heading to Fresno.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True, but Kruk says the pitchers prefer to throw to Eli/Stewy at this point. Chez3 will be up by June.