• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2012

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was thinking the same yesterday. The Giants may start Franchez on the DL to keep Burriss. Manny would be snapped up by any number of teams when we cut him. Can't see the advantage of putting Song on the DL though, unless you want to keep someone like Gillaspie up.

I understand they won't need five starters for a while. I'm assuming blanco has the fourth outfield spot, so these are the guys in the hunt for the last couple of roster spots:

theriot
fonte
pill
burris
chez3

So, at the very least, the Giants could retain Burris and carry three catchers for a couple of weeks.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand they won't need five starters for a while. I'm assuming blanco has the fourth outfield spot, so these are the guys in the hunt for the last couple of roster spots:

theriot
fonte
pill
burris
chez3

So, at the very least, the Giants could retain Burris and carry three catchers for a couple of weeks.

I've got Blanco, Riot, Swamp Thing, and Pill on the 25 man. Burriss makes it for Franchez. I'm guessing that Song on the DL gives them time to make the Stewy/Whitey decision. As you say, they'll carry three catchers unless KC makes a good enough offer for Stewy/Whitey.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've got Blanco, Riot, Swamp Thing, and Pill on the 25 man. Burriss makes it for Franchez. I'm guessing that Song on the DL gives them time to make the Stewy/Whitey decision. As you say, they'll carry three catchers unless KC makes a good enough offer for Stewy/Whitey.

KC General Manager: I'll give you a bucket of used batting practice balls and three pairs of George Brett's old sanitary socks for Whiteside.

Sabean: Three pairs of socks? Sold. No takebacks.

KC General Manager: Would you have done it for two pairs?

Sabean: I would have done it for one of Goeorge Brett's socks. I would have figured that asking for the pair would be too much.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC General Manager: I'll give you a bucket of used batting practice balls and three pairs of George Brett's old sanitary socks for Whiteside.

Sabean: Three pairs of socks? Sold. No takebacks.

KC General Manager: Would you have done it for two pairs?

Sabean: I would have done it for one of Goeorge Brett's socks. I would have figured that asking for the pair would be too much.

Repped for accurate hilarity. And yet...the players LOVE him. Bochy loves him. What are we missing?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Repped for accurate hilarity. And yet...the players LOVE him. Bochy loves him. What are we missing?

That the Royals have no ML catchers on their 40 man? And no jokes about Whitey not being ML level, either.

:dunce:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing....he's probably just a good guy who busts his butt to do a good job but...

...is Whiteside...:bounce:

Is Stewart not a good guy who busts his butt? How about Chez3? Does the team not think they can improve on Whiteside? Or do they:

1. See value in Whitey that we don't
2. Don't think it matters too terribly much which suboptimal backup catcher is on the team?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Stewart not a good guy who busts his butt? How about Chez3? Does the team not think they can improve on Whiteside? Or do they:

2. Don't think it matters too terribly much which suboptimal backup catcher is on the team?

I think the Giants owe it to Whiteside or Stewey to trade them to KC if they don't have a ML level catcher on the roster. Gives them a chance to play everyday and find a contract after the year. I like them both as people and they filled in admirably for a task they were ill equiped for.

That way, we only have to hurt one set of feelings instead of 2 when Sanchez comes up. :heh:

the_broom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Well...I think both guys have proven that they can't hit as an everyday guy. I think Stewart has shown he can play superior "D"...but Whiteside is nothing but average.

I think most of what is said about Whitey is the players being supportive of their guy...just because he is their guy..

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think the Giants owe it to Whiteside or Stewey to trade them to KC if they don't have a ML level catcher on the roster. Gives them a chance to play everyday and find a contract after the year. I like them both as people and they filled in admirably for a task they were ill equiped for.

That way, we only have to hurt one set of feelings instead of 2 when Sanchez comes up. :heh:

It's almost a forgone conclusion that Stewart ends up in KC somehow imo. If we cut him, he suddenly becomes the cheapest, most desirable option available. Trade wise, it wouldn't take much, and again, he's cheap.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CSNBaggs setting the stage for the final two weeks of spring training.

A good update, but I think he's overselling a couple of things:

1. Belt v. Nate: I don't think Belt is anywhere close to making the club, nor do I think Nate is anywhere close to losing his RF position.
2. There can be only two (Riot, Swamp, Burriss): when Freddy goes on the DL, all three will make the team.

Otherwise, good stuff.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost a forgone conclusion that Stewart ends up in KC somehow imo. If we cut him, he suddenly becomes the cheapest, most desirable option available. Trade wise, it wouldn't take much, and again, he's cheap.

And the best part of this is that it keeps the "Whiteside's Fault" in play for a while longer.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A good update, but I think he's overselling a couple of things:

1. Belt v. Nate: I don't think Belt is anywhere close to making the club, nor do I think Nate is anywhere close to losing his RF position.
2. There can be only two (Riot, Swamp, Burriss): when Freddy goes on the DL, all three will make the team.

Otherwise, good stuff.

Where did Baggs write "there can be only two"? I'm not seeing it.

I also don't see Baggs setting up a Nate vs. Belt scenario. He simply highlighted those players who have "opened" some eyes, and, alternately, those that haven't done much in camp, so far, along with the reasons for those designations.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excited to see what Blanco can do. His career .358 OBP is exciting (and no fluke, career .367 in minors) as well as his speed. He's in his prime too (28 years old), so he could realistically stick and be apart of our future OF.

The defense on this team should be fun to watch too. Pablo, Crawford, Schierholtz, Posey, and Sanchez (when healthy) are all GG caliber, Cabrera will be above average for LF, Pagan can cover a lot of ground. Blanco and Stewart off the bench.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today's lineup:

Schierholtz a scratch because of forearm tightness.

Pagan CF
Cabrera LF
Sandoval 3B
Posey C
Huff 1B
Blanco RF
Theriot 2B
Crawford SS
Zito SP

Pretty close to Opening Day lineup.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did Baggs write "there can be only two"? I'm not seeing it.

I also don't see Baggs setting up a Nate vs. Belt scenario. He simply highlighted those players who have "opened" some eyes, and, alternately, those that haven't done much in camp, so far, along with the reasons for those designations.

You're right; I must have read something else right before I posted, as I read the Baggs report earlier in the day. Sorry 'bout that....senior moment.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Excited to see what Blanco can do. His career .358 OBP is exciting (and no fluke, career .367 in minors) as well as his speed. He's in his prime too (28 years old), so he could realistically stick and be apart of our future OF.

The defense on this team should be fun to watch too. Pablo, Crawford, Schierholtz, Posey, and Sanchez (when healthy) are all GG caliber, Cabrera will be above average for LF, Pagan can cover a lot of ground. Blanco and Stewart off the bench.

God no......I do not want to see Stewart flailing a hundred times by June. Take Fanchez out of the lineup, and 6-7-8-9 could get ugly on the days Posey does not catch (which is looking more and more likely to be closer to 50% of the time vs. any other number).

Anyone else concerned, or is it just me?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're right; I must have read something else right before I posted, as I read the Baggs report earlier in the day. Sorry 'bout that....senior moment.

I was wondering if I had missed something. Whew.....I thought it was me who was on the wrong side of the aging curve.