• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Someone talk me off the ledge....

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was that one year the Seahawks were practically signing guys off the street due to injuries, I'd have to google what year it was, but it was bad.

Looking at the Tom Flores years, I thought I was drinking because I was in college. In reality, I was drinking to forget the bad memories.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were positives last night. I have read and responded to lots of negative posts today, but I seem to always plays devils advocate.
We were 6-13 in 3rd down attempts. Not great, but acceptable. I'll take that.
In the pass game RW was 20-26, with a TD and no INT's. I'll take that too.
The 3 fumbles really hurt the offenses #'s and 1 allowed a TD. Those were huge TO's. The biggest problem for us last night was not the OL, or Cable, or Bevell. The fumbles were the biggest problem.
Hausch. Wow.
Ryan. Same.
TL did great but we gave up a drive opportunity with his mistake. Yet, he is growing with each game. You can see it.
The D was very solid.
The screen to Jackson was a thing of beauty in both the call and it's execution. I hadn't seen anyone mention that play all day, but sure heard about all the mistakes of the game...in victory.
After watching the DVR'd 1st half, there was good and bad on the OL. A lot of the mistakes are correctable. It is one thing if a guy gets manhandles continually, but if he can correct his mental mistakes he might become something. Many of the plays a very good Pass Pro and a few running plays had very good run protection. We did not look impressive overall running the ball, but not having Marshawn probably had something to do with that.
Detroit blitzed a lot. Okung, and Britt got turnstiled in the 1st half. So did TE's Graham and Willson. Coleman didn't cover the backside. Gilliam would like a couple back, but it looks to me that when these guys are in front of their man they do pretty good most of the time. Sometimes on a big blitz the line did get overwhelmed.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was that one year the Seahawks were practically signing guys off the street due to injuries, I'd have to google what year it was, but it was bad.
I remember about 6 or 7 years ago we were extremely thin at DB, especially CB and signed guys off the street. I want to say it was a playoff year and Parcels did not take advantage of it in our playoff game. That game was the Romo fumblerooski.
I also remember a WR issue much longer back. Maybe 15 or 20 years ago. Same deal.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope no one took seriously my on the ledge comment. I've survived Super Bowl XL, I can survive whatever happens this season! I usually have faith in our team but that O-line....... Christ! I am trying real hard to figure (watching since 1977) out if the Seahawks have ever had anything worse in their history. I am just a worried Seahawks fan.
Guess if there's anything else we can offer, just keep telling yourself:

These are the SEAHAWKS we're talking about here, not the MARINERS.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like we're going to struggle on offense, our defense will have to carry us... But truth be told, if our offense doesn't figure it out soon, I think it will be tough for us to finish better than 9-7 with our schedule... All the games will be close for the most part, due to our defense keeping us in the games... It's going to be up to our offense to make some plays that will be the difference in these games... Offense hasn't helped much at all... 5 total TD's on offense thru 4 games so far... We're very fortunate that we're 2-2...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensively, the Seahawks are just as good as they have been in the past. Special teams is even better now that we have someone who can return kicks/punts for the first time since Leon Washington. Everything on offense is as good, if not better than it has been in the past, with the exception of the offensive line.

But this offensive line is going to cost Seattle a Superbowl run. The Seahawks are still a top 10 team in the NFL, and they're on the cusp of being a top 5 team, but the offensive line is just so damn bad that I can't see them making a run with this offense. Wilson has had to carry the team because of how bad the blocking is, and Lynch can only do so much with shitty run blocking as well.

The Seahawks front office got lulled into thinking that since we had a mediocre offensive line the past two years, if we have the NFL's worst offensive line, it's not a big deal. The unit has been greatly neglected.

That being said, I don't think the Seahawks miss the playoffs.

If anything, we've had some bad luck in terms of not forcing turnovers, something this defense is quite adept at. Don't let the score or the ending to the Lions game fool you, the Seahawks dominated on defense and offense. Those fumbles are what kept the Lions in it.

The Seahawks (IMO) can still beat any team at home. It's their ability on the road that concerns me, especially against teams with a good defensive line.

Looking at the rest of the schedule:

@ Bengals: Loss
vs Panthers: Win
@ 49ers: Win
@ Cowboys: Win
vs Cardinals: Win
vs. 49ers: Win
vs. Steelers: Win
@ Vikings: Loss
@ Ravens: Win
vs Browns: Win
vs Rams: Win
@ Cardinals: Loss

That would have us finish at 11-5. In terms of the playoffs, I expect the Seahawks to lose their first away game, unless this offensive line magically improves by leaps and bounds by the end of the season - which I find very unlikely.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see us being better than the Panthers

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they will finish the year winning the division and having homefield advantage.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were positives last night. I have read and responded to lots of negative posts today, but I seem to always plays devils advocate.
We were 6-13 in 3rd down attempts. Not great, but acceptable. I'll take that.
In the pass game RW was 20-26, with a TD and no INT's. I'll take that too.
The 3 fumbles really hurt the offenses #'s and 1 allowed a TD. Those were huge TO's. The biggest problem for us last night was not the OL, or Cable, or Bevell. The fumbles were the biggest problem.
Hausch. Wow.
Ryan. Same.
TL did great but we gave up a drive opportunity with his mistake. Yet, he is growing with each game. You can see it.
The D was very solid.
The screen to Jackson was a thing of beauty in both the call and it's execution. I hadn't seen anyone mention that play all day, but sure heard about all the mistakes of the game...in victory.
After watching the DVR'd 1st half, there was good and bad on the OL. A lot of the mistakes are correctable. It is one thing if a guy gets manhandles continually, but if he can correct his mental mistakes he might become something. Many of the plays a very good Pass Pro and a few running plays had very good run protection. We did not look impressive overall running the ball, but not having Marshawn probably had something to do with that.
Detroit blitzed a lot. Okung, and Britt got turnstiled in the 1st half. So did TE's Graham and Willson. Coleman didn't cover the backside. Gilliam would like a couple back, but it looks to me that when these guys are in front of their man they do pretty good most of the time. Sometimes on a big blitz the line did get overwhelmed.

when you go from 1st and goal from the 9 and end up kicking a 51 yard fg, how is that not bad coaching and playcalling? wilson takes a 15 yard sack, how is that not the OL? center gets called for false start, how is that not the OL? the OL was THE PROBLEM of the game, it was getting blown up on every play, getting called for stupid penalties, eventually wilson will break and our $22m franchise QB will be no more.

I blame the OL problems on cable, and I blame bevell for not figuring out ANYTHING to work around that weakness and put together somewhat serviceable of an offense. right now our O relies totally on circus plays by wilson, that is not an offense.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the fuck knows? The NFL season is a roller coaster. I've seen 9-7 WC teams win championships, and 14-2 "world beaters" go 1 & done.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the end of last year, Seattle, GB and NE were the three best teams. But at the beginning of the year, nobody thought that. Rodgers had to tell GB fans to relax, the headlines on ESPN were about the end of the BB-Brady era and Seattle wasn't going to be able to compete in the NFC against teams like Dallas, Zona and Detroit.

Newsflash:
The season is far from over.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the end of last year, Seattle, GB and NE were the three best teams. But at the beginning of the year, nobody thought that. Rodgers had to tell GB fans to relax, the headlines on ESPN were about the end of the BB-Brady era and Seattle wasn't going to be able to compete in the NFC against teams like Dallas, Zona and Detroit.

Newsflash:
The season is far from over.
Yep. NFL football is the #1 sport in America. #2 is over-reacting to NFL football.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when you go from 1st and goal from the 9 and end up kicking a 51 yard fg, how is that not bad coaching and playcalling? wilson takes a 15 yard sack, how is that not the OL? center gets called for false start, how is that not the OL? the OL was THE PROBLEM of the game, it was getting blown up on every play, getting called for stupid penalties, eventually wilson will break and our $22m franchise QB will be no more.

I blame the OL problems on cable, and I blame bevell for not figuring out ANYTHING to work around that weakness and put together somewhat serviceable of an offense. right now our O relies totally on circus plays by wilson, that is not an offense.
Man, if you can't find any positives out of that victory then that is your problem.
Your hatred for Bevell and Cable have been well noted for years now.
Oh, and blame Russell for the 1st sack you refer to since you need to blame someone for a play gone wrong.
The entire OL crashed right on that play. Graham was the TE on the left. The RDE made an athletic move and Russell tried to evade him and make a play instead of throwing the ball away. He had 3.5 seconds to make his decision which being that close to the goal line should be a pass thrown in far less than 2 seconds.
yet, your hatred can't allow you to see that.
The 2nd sack you refer to was on the OL. 3rd and goal from the 22 is a burden on any OL.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot to be concerned about but nothing worth pressing the panic button over.

The offense has been anemic at best. When we do show some signs of life and move the ball we do everything in our power NOT to score a TD. Whether it's a penalty (holding, false start, etc) or a sack we are the best in the league at moving backwards when we have a chance to score. To me that's more frustrating than a huge sign of concern.

I think our offense will eventually figure it out. Once Russell and Graham develop that chemistry it will help everyone on the offense. Also don't forget we are doing all of this without a healthy Marshawn.

Not that I want to overlook how inept our offense has been, but with the way our defense has stepped up I think that gives us a chance against anyone. All we need is our offense just to be average and we will win on most days.

Also remember that this is a long season. Even if we lose to the Bengals we still have a lot of football left to be played. Most of our home games are slated in the second half of the season. Arguably the toughest part of our schedule will have been played already once we get past week 5.

So no need to jump off any ledge this early on in the season...especially after two straight wins. Ugly wins...but a win is a win.

I mean...would you have rather us play an excellent all around game with the offensive line dominating, Russell connecting well with Graham and the defense containing the lions and lose...or play an ugly game and win? Like Pete and Russell always say...let's just go 1-0 every week. It's cliche but the NFL really is a week to week thing. The most important thing is survive the week without any injuries and come away with the W. We did both in consecutive weeks. So whatever issue we have we'll continue to patch it up week by week.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the fuck knows? The NFL season is a roller coaster. I've seen 9-7 WC teams win championships, and 14-2 "world beaters" go 1 & done.

Yup

Sometimes it's not how you've looked all year but how healthy you are and how well you are playing heading into the playoffs

If we end up being 10-6 but catch absolute fire in the final weeks heading into the playoffs we could go on a Superbowl run as a dark horse.

I remember a few years ago when the Packers were clobbering everyone and they ran into a red hot Eli Manning and got bounced in the first round. Eli and the Giants went on to win the Superbowl.

10 weeks from now no one is going to care how our team looked in week 4. The most important thing about this part of the season is to escape with as many W's as possible and to stay as healthy as possible heading into the stretch run.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a few days thinking & reading these all of the posts, I feel better about this team. I still think we will lose this Sunday but this team was always done what they've needed to do in the second half of the season to get themselves into the playoffs. I don't know if it will be HFA though. We've been spoiled for the past two seasons with everyone headed to Seattle.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL takes continuity. It'll improve as the year goes on. You don't rehaul an offensive line (3 new starters at positions - Britt's shift definitely is like a new starter, only Okung is high quality) and Sweezy was 'okay' last year. Whenever you shake up an OL that much, it takes time.

I expect Seattle to improve as they get more reps.