• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some thoughts on the Seahawks

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So I'm the last person to put much stock in anyhting that happens in hte preseason, but I think Matt Flynn was one of the most impatient QB moves a team has ever made. I really think Seattle tried to re-build too fast. They just started plugging holes rather than getting the best players (sound familiar?)

They also got a string of terrible luck. Gallery never got healthy, and Rice may be in the same boat. Okung seems like he's always banged up (I thought he was a bad draft choice from the beginning; like I said, they were just plugging holes).

Add a big contract for Marshawn Lynch, and I see a disaster looming for Seattle on offense. Outside of Rice, they have nothing at WR, and Zach Miller doesn't scare anybody (nor does Michael Robinson).

They do have a defense, and that'll keep 'em in games. However, they could be so bad on offense this year that their D just gets worn out. Seattle had a chance to build something special under Pete Caroll if they were just a little more patient IMO. However, I think they blew it and ruined what could have been a great 2nd try in the NFL for him.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I just don't think Pete Carroll has enough offensive wherewithal to really take Seattle to the next level.

I believe he's done a great job building the defense but he just seems to constantly swing and miss when it comes to almost everything offense. Lynch and you could say Baldwin have been the only thing Seattle has really gotten right on offense.

I think Flynn is shaping up to be average at best and when your former offensive coordinator isn't beating down the GM's door to sign you and you haven't gotten a choke hold on the job over a 3rd round rookie QB than those are bad signs to me.

They might have something in Wilson but unless they put him with the starters it's hard to tell. I mean we've seen the whole QB beating up on 2nd and 3rd stringers to be the preseason MVP and never really amounting to anything movie before.

That's not to say Wilson is that guy it's just that it's a much different game when in a regular season game against a starting defense that's schemed against you and now you have Aldon and Justin Smith barreling down on you and you have to use your head and make more complex decisions quickly. Compared to being able to play without thinking much and just running the plays. I mean hows Nate Davis doing now anyways?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm the last person to put much stock in anyhting that happens in hte preseason, but I think Matt Flynn was one of the most impatient QB moves a team has ever made. I really think Seattle tried to re-build too fast. They just started plugging holes rather than getting the best players (sound familiar?)

They also got a string of terrible luck. Gallery never got healthy, and Rice may be in the same boat. Okung seems like he's always banged up (I thought he was a bad draft choice from the beginning; like I said, they were just plugging holes).

Add a big contract for Marshawn Lynch, and I see a disaster looming for Seattle on offense. Outside of Rice, they have nothing at WR, and Zach Miller doesn't scare anybody (nor does Michael Robinson).

They do have a defense, and that'll keep 'em in games. However, they could be so bad on offense this year that their D just gets worn out. Seattle had a chance to build something special under Pete Caroll if they were just a little more patient IMO. However, I think they blew it and ruined what could have been a great 2nd try in the NFL for him.

Did you see Owens drop that sure TD pass? That made me laugh. I would not be surprised to see the Niners go 6 and oh in the division and struggle outside of it. Should be enough to get in the playoffs though barring a rash of injuries.

xJuicex

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I like about the seahawks is their secondary, other than that fuck em'. I hate pete carroll with a passion.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I like about the seahawks is their secondary, other than that fuck em'. I hate pete carroll with a passion.

Man. I really like Carroll. He brought my beloved Trojans back to respectability. Just need Kiffin to keep the tradition alive.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I always liked Caroll too, but I LOOOOOOVE Harbaugh. Always liked everything about him even when he was a Colt (I was too young for the Bears' versioin). I was actually calling for the Niners to fire Mooch and hire Pete Caroll over a decade ago (he got a much better jorb at USC though), but he pales in comparison to Harbs IMO.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we were very close ourselves at "being impatient" for a QB?

when you're in that boat (no decent QB), the fan base is very impatient.....way before the GM. as such, its hard for a GM to be patient because of the pressure to succeed.....immediately. since the NFL is a QB driven league, you're willing to "extend" a little bit, take more of a chance than you'd ordinarily take.

IIRC, this board had talked about obtaining Flynn too - and Kolb for that matter?

anyways, it comes down to the talent evaluation? if you and your personnel staff is good at it, then you don't make big mistakes. no one is perfect but you avoid big mistakes that hamper you three to four years.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
IIRC, this board had talked about obtaining Flynn too - and Kolb for that matter?

Not to mention McNabb.

The only QB I've really, really wanted, whom the Niners could have possibly gotten, since after the Alex era was Cutler. I whiffed on Brees. I didn' think there was any way he was that good.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did you see Owens drop that sure TD pass? That made me laugh. I would not be surprised to see the Niners go 6 and oh in the division and struggle outside of it. Should be enough to get in the playoffs though barring a rash of injuries.

Are you serious? That made you laugh? It had the opposite affect on me! It basically scared the sh8 out of me knowing that he is still capable of being a deep threat. Yeah, he dropped the ball, but he will eventually rough the rust off and get in synch with his qb. Similar to how witnessing Jenkins showed me lots of promise (talented kid) though his #s did not reflect it; seeing Owens play yesterday gave me reasons to worry.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked Caroll too, but I LOOOOOOVE Harbaugh. Always liked everything about him even when he was a Colt (I was too young for the Bears' versioin). I was actually calling for the Niners to fire Mooch and hire Pete Caroll over a decade ago (he got a much better jorb at USC though), but he pales in comparison to Harbs IMO.

Love me some Harbaugh too. He's made a believer out of me. But there will always be a huge place in my heart for Carroll; he gave my dying father one last bit of pleasure with those back to back NCAA titles.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Pre season means absolutely nothing.

Agreed. Hense my qualifier. However, I think Seattles moves over the last couple of years (especially signing Flynn) were uninspired. If I were them I would've traded up for Tannehill.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pre season means absolutely nothing.

wouldn't go so far as "absolutely", but yeah it can get 'overrated' for the starters......i agree if thats what you meant?

for the lower half of the 90 players in 'camp', its a HUGE deal. pre-season is also good for:
1. your 'lesser' back-ups to play in the schemes, both sides of the ball. they don't get reps like key back-ups (those who spell starters), situational players, and role players.

2. new special teamers, mainly returners and gunners. but also for new guys who have to block on the edges.

3. for Coaches to practice communication, especially during two minute drills, getting different personnel groups in, and for two way players like Dobbs, Sopoga, Hannula,.....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seattle can still be dangerous as demonstarted almost every year. but the team who can really get good in a hurry is the Rams. if they draft more right than wrong, they'll not only be good (in a few years), but can stay there a while.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? That made you laugh? It had the opposite affect on me! It basically scared the sh8 out of me knowing that he is still capable of being a deep threat. Yeah, he dropped the ball, but he will eventually rough the rust off and get in synch with his qb. Similar to how witnessing Jenkins showed me lots of promise (talented kid) though his #s did not reflect it; seeing Owens play yesterday gave me reasons to worry.

Not that concerning to me, Owens has always been talented and with his experience he should be able to get behind man coverage in preseason when there is just vanilla coverage instead of the really complex coverages teams run in the regular season.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wouldn't go so far as "absolutely", but yeah it can get 'overrated' for the starters......i agree if thats what you meant?

for the lower half of the 90 players in 'camp', its a HUGE deal. pre-season is also good for:
1. your 'lesser' back-ups to play in the schemes, both sides of the ball. they don't get reps like key back-ups (those who spell starters), situational players, and role players.

2. new special teamers, mainly returners and gunners. but also for new guys who have to block on the edges.

3. for Coaches to practice communication, especially during two minute drills, getting different personnel groups in, and for two way players like Dobbs, Sopoga, Hannula,.....

I also thought of how pre-season is the only time some players get to play, even if they make the 53. Kaep will probably get some reps even without injury, but this may (I hope) be the most he sees the field this year. Other positions, of course, are subbed in more or have players with multiple positions, though.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
R.Wilson is better then overpaid Flynn

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Russell Wilson to start on Friday

He'll get his shot at taking the job on Friday.

I'm not a fan of QB competitions and less of a fan of them when it's undecided going into the 3rd preseason game. That's not to say Wilson won't be good or anything it's just rare that a QB competition turns out well as it usually means you have two average guys duking it out to see who's the a little better at being average than the other.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson to start on Friday

He'll get his shot at taking the job on Friday.

I'm not a fan of QB competitions and less of a fan of them when it's undecided going into the 3rd preseason game. That's not to say Wilson won't be good or anything it's just rare that a QB competition turns out well as it usually means you have two average guys duking it out to see who's the a little better at being average than the other.

If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one.