• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So the Big 12 has 4 clear top teams in the conference

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that makes sense as well. Btw, has the Pac-12 talked about expansion at all recently? Boise State and BYU could fit in there pretty easily location-wise too. Add BYU to the South division and Boise State to the North. The SEC, Big Ten and ACC seem like they should be maxed out but I wonder how long until the Pac-12 goes up to 14 as well.
From what I understand, the academician egg heads ain't fond of Boise. And the liberal left coasters ain't wild about having BYU's beliefs as part of their group.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac 12 got it correct stopping at 12 teams. You get your CCG and the other divisions still play each other regularly. It's barely a conference if you only play each other once or twice a decade. It's very NFL like which I personally believe the college landscape should never try to copy. You can't beat the NFL at it's own game. Tradition and rivalries should always be how the college game markets itself. It's what made it successful.
During the Florida-Miss State game I believe I heard the announcers say this is the first meeting between these two since 2010 and they aren't scheduled for another one until like 2026.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BSU brings nothing to the table and Mormons do not play on Sundays (olympic sports en sech). If the Big 12 were to expand, I say bring in Tulane, Cincinatti, UCF and Memphis..........
Would those four bring in enough additional revenue to increase the divisor by four and not drop the per team share for the current 10?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I completely agree. No conference should have more than 12 teams. It just seems like adding more and more is what's going to keep happening though.
Yep. Gotta get to 4 sixteen team conferences.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a time it did appear that way, however cord cutting has probably taken some of the earning potential of super conferences away. We will see how they adjust moving forward. One thing is for sure, they can't really go back now. They aren't going to kick anybody out.
I hope so.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short answer: the TV folks dont want us too because there is a section in our contract that would have them paying us a BUNCH more money if we add teams before the contract is up and cord cutting and some bad moves by the TV folks have em in a bad spot right now. The Big12 is trying to maintain a good relationship with the TV people while the money is still at least ok by not sticking them with a big cost. Id say the stipulation was put into the contract thinking that the Big12 would be adding a Clemson and /or FSU as was mentioned aroind that time and not UCF/UH/BYU ect.

Would they (UH, UCF ect.) make the conference better/more entertaining? imo yes but the stars haven’t lined up just yet.
As we move closer to the end of the current tv deal things could get interesting though. IMO Texas and OU wont be going anywhere because the conference is custom made for them to succeed and stay wealthy in their own region and the way tv deals are structured moving forward will no doubt be different than the last ones so... it may well happen then but Again imo the Big12 will have its eyes on some disgruntled PAC schools

I don't think it will ever happen but the Arizona schools would be nice.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a time it did appear that way, however cord cutting has probably taken some of the earning potential of super conferences away. We will see how they adjust moving forward. One thing is for sure, they can't really go back now. They aren't going to kick anybody out.

I would like to see some smaller conferences.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see some smaller conferences.

I feel like that ship has sailed at this point. But I don't think we are going to see any more growth for awhile either. It just doesn't make financial sense IMO.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The conventional wisdom about West Virginia escaping with a big win on the road at Texas Tech:

Strange things happen in Lubbock..."

"Nobody wants to play there...."

"Texas Tech is a crazy home field that ruins everyone...."

Until you realize, Texas Tech has not won a conference HOME game in 2 years (kansas september 2016).

Maybe it is just night games like LSU and they need to stop playing day games??

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like that ship has sailed at this point. But I don't think we are going to see any more growth for awhile either. It just doesn't make financial sense IMO.

I agree. I don't think it's going to happen.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is expanding.

Conference Networks are already an outdated model with an expiration date soon.
What looked great in 2014 is going to look hopelessly outdated and old fashioned by 2024.

Within 10 years, we will seen conference networks dissolve a bit to individual school models.
So many people are pulling the plug on cable television for A' la Carte programming.

I am trying out YAHOO TV personally with Rokku handling Netflix/Plex stream for everything at 1/4 the price.
Streaming Media and specific demand stuff is the way of future revenue.

Pick and Choose 3rd tier modelling will be the future not Conference Network TV.
There is no need to expand for what is already a limited revenue stream with an uncertain future.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why doesn't the Big XII add two teams and then split into two divisions and do a championship game like normal people do? There are plenty of AAC teams that would go there and be decent teams, as well as Boise State and BYU, so they have respectable options.

The can is opened and worms are everywhere. This thread officially will never end.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is expanding.

Conference Networks are already an outdated model with an expiration date soon.
What looked great in 2014 is going to look hopelessly outdated and old fashioned by 2024.

Within 10 years, we will seen conference networks dissolve a bit to individual school models.
So many people are pulling the plug on cable television for A' la Carte programming.

I am trying out YAHOO TV personally with Rokku handling Netflix/Plex stream for everything at 1/4 the price.
Streaming Media and specific demand stuff is the way of future revenue.

Pick and Choose 3rd tier modelling will be the future not Conference Network TV.
There is no need to expand for what is already a limited revenue stream with an uncertain future.

So do conferences downsize?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This timeline actually plays well for us. More time to keep our brand higher than other non-P5 teams, and Boise is one of America's fastest growing cities, making us more appealing by then.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do conferences downsize?

Would be nice to see honestly, this garbage with the SEC and ACC where they have 14 teams and only play 8 conference games is just ridiculous...so many teams almost never play each other.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be nice to see honestly, this garbage with the SEC and ACC where they have 14 teams and only play 8 conference games is just ridiculous...so many teams almost never play each other.

I was really thinking about the Big. After the additions of Rutgers and Maryland for the tv sets.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was really thinking about the Big. After the additions of Rutgers and Maryland for the tv sets.

Adding Rutgers has to be the worst move made during this entire realignment process. Did adding them really add eyes on the TV sets?? No, no one cares what Rutgers does. Just because they're near New York City doesn't mean anyone in New York City actually cares about them.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say, not sure who in the conference is going to stop Grier and sons of WVU. I mean who? OU? TCU? Texas? What defense can stop them.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Rutgers has to be the worst move made during this entire realignment process. Did adding them really add eyes on the TV sets?? No, no one cares what Rutgers does. Just because they're near New York City doesn't mean anyone in New York City actually cares about them.

Their deal benefited them at the time because it as number of houses that were eligible for the Big package. Or something like that. But my point is they got more money whether the people watched football or not.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say, not sure who in the conference is going to stop Grier and sons of WVU. I mean who? OU? TCU? Texas? What defense can stop them.

TCU and Texas do have tough defenses, they'll have a chance at it.

Thought Oklahoma State might have one that could too but it appears only our stupid coaching staff was fooled by their robust, more aggressive defense.

Oklahoma will probably blow out West Virginia like they always do though