• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So the Big 12 has 4 clear top teams in the conference

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are close

Tier 1

OU

Tier 2

TCU
OKST
WVU

Tier 3

Iowa State
Texas
Tech
KSU

Tier 4

Kansas
Baylor

OU is tier one until proven otherwise. The only team to come close to challenging them in years is us and that hasn't ended well. Tier 2 deserves respect and any in this group has a legit chance to knock OU off it's perch. TCU probably lost their shot at a playoff berth early but the other two have a chance if they go undefeated. Tier 3 are decent and can win games depending on the week. Iowa State loves that they are in this company and if Campbell sticks around has a decent shot at making tier 2. Texas hates that they are in this company and as long as Herman is around will never make tier 2. Tier 4 is the shits but don't expect a change here any time soon

Okay, I can see I'm going to be repeating myself here

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tenor.gif

Thanks for the kind words on Jimbo. As for Lincoln...man I can't wait to see him wearing the blue star on our sideline next season. :suds:
Yes, yes. I can go for that. Kill two birds with one stone. If only the Cowboys could get a new general manager along with a new coach, then we'd really be talking

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think much of this convo should wait until after the Red River Shootout. The yall can pick it up at that point.

WVU will then have a say in determining some things in this conference, I'd think.

OSU, TCU? We'll have to see.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We make so much, gotta spend it somewhere.

Is there a point to your comment, or just spouting random facts? Maybe tell us water is wet next? Or that burnt orange looks like something a diarrhea infected baby produces into a diaper?

you're the dummy that is dying on the hill "aggies don't take themselves seriously in football". You know you're wrong, just let it go.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and none of them play each other until Oklahoma plays TCU on October 20th, then the rest of the games that involve Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and West Virginia playing each are all in November.

So basically if none of these teams messes up and drops a game to someone like Iowa State or Texas....they will all be in the top 10 entering that OU/TCU game....then including the silly Big 12 championship game which will likely match up two of these teams, they will beat each other up and none make the playoff :L
Why doesn't the Big XII add two teams and then split into two divisions and do a championship game like normal people do? There are plenty of AAC teams that would go there and be decent teams, as well as Boise State and BYU, so they have respectable options.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why doesn't the Big XII add two teams and then split into two divisions and do a championship game like normal people do? There are plenty of AAC teams that would go there and be decent teams, as well as Boise State and BYU, so they have respectable options.
Because none of them besides Notre Dame bring any financial gain to the party...and money is the name of the game nowadays...not quality football. If it were about quality football, things would have been a lot different.

The ONLY school that brings a possible financial gain to the party is BYU. They are a mini Mormon version of Notre Dame. Notre Dame fans are national, not regional. Same for BYU.

Me thinks "national drawing power" will trump regional drawing power in the next version ot TV contracts. Truth be told, the Big 12 only has two schools that have any national drawing power whatsoever...and we all know who those are. Let's be honest. Just how much national drawing power do West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor really have in football? Not much...even when one of 'em are pretty good.

But, what the hell do I know.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because none of them besides Notre Dame bring any financial gain to the party...and money is the name of the game nowadays...not quality football. If it were about quality football, things would have been a lot different.

The ONLY school that brings a possible financial gain to the party is BYU. They are a mini Mormon version of Notre Dame. Notre Dame fans are national, not regional. Same for BYU.

Me thinks "national drawing power" will trump regional drawing power in the next version ot TV contracts. Truth be told, the Big 12 only has two schools that have any national drawing power whatsoever...and we all know who those are. Let's be honest. Just how much national drawing power do West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor really have in football? Not much...even when one of 'em are pretty good.

But, what the hell do I know.
Yep, makes sense. They should add BYU then and just add another to make it even 12 at that point. It'd be nice to get one team a little closer to WVU so they're not on such an island amongst Big XII teams.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, makes sense. They should add BYU then and just add another to make it even 12 at that point. It'd be nice to get one team a little closer to WVU so they're not on such an island amongst Big XII teams.
Oh, I agree with you from a football standpoint so to speak.

But if you don't increase the size of the pie at least proportional to the number of pieces it is divided into, then you have to be willing to accept less money. Again, money is the name of the game nowadays.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I agree with you from a football standpoint so to speak.

But if you don't increase the size of the pie at least proportional to the number of pieces it is divided into, then you have to be willing to accept less money. Again, money is the name of the game nowadays.
Yeah, that makes sense as well. Btw, has the Pac-12 talked about expansion at all recently? Boise State and BYU could fit in there pretty easily location-wise too. Add BYU to the South division and Boise State to the North. The SEC, Big Ten and ACC seem like they should be maxed out but I wonder how long until the Pac-12 goes up to 14 as well.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that makes sense as well. Btw, has the Pac-12 talked about expansion at all recently? Boise State and BYU could fit in there pretty easily location-wise too. Add BYU to the South division and Boise State to the North. The SEC, Big Ten and ACC seem like they should be maxed out but I wonder how long until the Pac-12 goes up to 14 as well.

The Pac 12 got it correct stopping at 12 teams. You get your CCG and the other divisions still play each other regularly. It's barely a conference if you only play each other once or twice a decade. It's very NFL like which I personally believe the college landscape should never try to copy. You can't beat the NFL at it's own game. Tradition and rivalries should always be how the college game markets itself. It's what made it successful.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BSU brings nothing to the table and Mormons do not play on Sundays (olympic sports en sech). If the Big 12 were to expand, I say bring in Tulane, Cincinatti, UCF and Memphis..........

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Short answer: the TV folks dont want us too because there is a section in our contract that would have them paying us a BUNCH more money if we add teams before the contract is up and cord cutting and some bad moves by the TV folks have em in a bad spot right now. The Big12 is trying to maintain a good relationship with the TV people while the money is still at least ok by not sticking them with a big cost. Id say the stipulation was put into the contract thinking that the Big12 would be adding a Clemson and /or FSU as was mentioned aroind that time and not UCF/UH/BYU ect.

Would they (UH, UCF ect.) make the conference better/more entertaining? imo yes but the stars haven’t lined up just yet.
As we move closer to the end of the current tv deal things could get interesting though. IMO Texas and OU wont be going anywhere because the conference is custom made for them to succeed and stay wealthy in their own region and the way tv deals are structured moving forward will no doubt be different than the last ones so... it may well happen then but Again imo the Big12 will have its eyes on some disgruntled PAC schools

Last edited:

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pac 12 got it correct stopping at 12 teams. You get your CCG and the other divisions still play each other regularly. It's barely a conference if you only play each other once or twice a decade. It's very NFL like which I personally believe the college landscape should never try to copy. You can't beat the NFL at it's own game. Tradition and rivalries should always be how the college game markets itself. It's what made it successful.
Oh, I completely agree. No conference should have more than 12 teams. It just seems like adding more and more is what's going to keep happening though.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Short answer: the TV folks dont want us too because there is a section in our contract that would have them paying us a BUNCH more money if we add teams before the contract is up and cord cutting and some bad moves by the TV folks have em in a bad spot right now. The Big12 is trying to maintain a good relationship with the TV people while the money is still at least ok by not sticking them with a big cost. Id say the stipulation was put into the contract thinking that the Big12 would be adding a Clemson and /or FSU as was mentioned aroind that time and not UCF/UH/BYU ect.

Would they (UH, UCF ect.) make the conference better/more entertaining? imo yes but the stars haven’t lined up just yet.
As we move closer to the end of the current tv deal things could get interesting though. IMO Texas and OU wont be going anywhere because the conference is custom made for them to succeed and stay wealthy in their own region and the way tv deals are structured moving forward will no doubt be different than the last ones so... it may well happen then but Again imo the Big12 will have its eyes on some disgruntled PAC schools
When does the current TV deals expire?

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I completely agree. No conference should have more than 12 teams. It just seems like adding more and more is what's going to keep happening though.

For a time it did appear that way, however cord cutting has probably taken some of the earning potential of super conferences away. We will see how they adjust moving forward. One thing is for sure, they can't really go back now. They aren't going to kick anybody out.