• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So lets try to predict who the 49ers take with the 1.03

Who do the 49ers take at the 1.03?

• Total voters

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
50/50 Fields or Jones. It all depends on what type of QB they're looking for

Personally I would take Fields due to sample size, arm strength, accuracy and mobility. I think in most cases Fields is a top 3 pick but I find it interesting that there are reports that the 49ers were trying to trade for the #5, #4, #3 before calling the Jets for #2. If true, maybe the 49ers didn't go into the trade for Fields because he would be gone by pick 4 or 5.

It wouldn't surprise me if 49ers went with Jones. Jones is a high floor, Day 1 ready and a JimmyG 2.0 but on a rookie contract. Maybe he's just another JimmyG but maybe that's the type of QB Shanahan likes, I mean the 49ers did get to the SB with JG.

Trey Lance ceiling is just as high as Fields, Wilson, and Lawrence but also has the lowest floor out of the top QBs. I just don't see what Lance brings to the table that Fields don't already have

If the 9ers pick Lance over Fields it'll be because of football IQ and football IQ is something that's difficult to determine for us armchair GMs.

And I don't think it'll be a case of Fields having low football IQ because I haven't seen anything that would suggest that but there is enough negative there that gives you cause to ask yourself if you're going to have a guy with average football IQ on your hands.

It'll be a case if Lance has elite football IQ which is possible but again something impossible to confirm because you're taking other people's word for it and it could be the typical hype a guy up rhetoric.

I mean with Lance I know PFF rated him with 5 turnover worthy plays out of 335 attempts and he did operate a pro style offense that asked more than what's usual of a college QB and he did this at age 19 so there might be something there to him having a high football IQ.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields is far and away the most logical pick of the three
You really think so? As talented as he is, his situation at Georgia has him on the do not touch unless if somehow he is there in day 3 list for me.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really think so? As talented as he is, his situation at Georgia has him on the do not touch unless if somehow he is there in day 3 list for me.
What was his situation at Georgia? Sorry I'm not following

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was his situation at Georgia? Sorry I'm not following
Someone forcing his way out IMO puts Fields at the bottom of the 5 automatically.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m starting to think it’s Lance because of their refusal to trade Jimmy G

going with the project with the most upside is prob the way to go if they really are rolling with JG

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m starting to think it’s Lance because of their refusal to trade Jimmy G

going with the project with the most upside is prob the way to go if they really are rolling with JG
Yeah, the fact that Jimmy G is still on the roster to me means that they are at the very least considering Lance

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fields will be the pick, he has big game experience, is mobile. What is not to like?

A dude out of North Dakota State with only 18 games, nay!!!!

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the 9ers pick Lance over Fields it'll be because of football IQ and football IQ is something that's difficult to determine for us armchair GMs.

And I don't think it'll be a case of Fields having low football IQ because I haven't seen anything that would suggest that but there is enough negative there that gives you cause to ask yourself if you're going to have a guy with average football IQ on your hands.

It'll be a case if Lance has elite football IQ which is possible but again something impossible to confirm because you're taking other people's word for it and it could be the typical hype a guy up rhetoric.

I mean with Lance I know PFF rated him with 5 turnover worthy plays out of 335 attempts and he did operate a pro style offense that asked more than what's usual of a college QB and he did this at age 19 so there might be something there to him having a high football IQ.
Yeah it's tough to really tell a player's football IQ without meeting or interviewing the players. I do agree that the offense NDSU ran would translate the best to what the 49ers do. But there are sometimes that he has some miss throws and reads (like @9:40) just like any QB coming out, I just wish there was more reps to paint the full picture

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I heard niners were willing to give a 1st for darnold before they traded to #3, but jets weren’t ready until they saw Wilson’s pro day

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone forcing his way out IMO puts Fields at the bottom of the 5 automatically.
Teams didn't have any issue with drafting Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray or Joe Burrow, so I don't see what's the issue

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For you. Just nobody else and especially people who do this for a living lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I heard niners were willing to give a 1st for darnold before they traded to #3, but jets weren’t ready until they saw Wilson’s pro day
If they were willing to give up their 1st for Sammy I don’t feel too confident they were set on one guy. I think they just put themselves in the best position to get the guy the like, once they saw more of all of them. So set on the position, not the player. Giving up a top 15 pick for Darnold is crazy

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is so much smoke, but I think the Niners are going to take Lance.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope they do take Lance. He's only started 17 games, missed 2020 and played for a small college team. What could go wrong? Here's the schedule he played against in 2019:

1619035589110.png

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope they do take Lance. He's only started 17 games, missed 2020 and played for a small college team. What could go wrong? Here's the schedule he played against in 2019:

View attachment 269233

Think it’s a mixed bag

production and opponents in college, and natural ability and skills

I’m not sure if Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes lit up the better opponents in college. Maybe they did

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it’s a mixed bag

I’m not sure if Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes lit up the better opponents in college. Maybe they did
Thing is it's hard to judge how a player does moving from playing small time ball in college to big time ball in the pros and you only have the 2019 season to go on. Also missing a entire season of competing surely doesn't help smooth out mechanics and does bring up how committed he is to the sport.
If the 49ers traded all that draft capitol to move up to the 1.03 then draft Lance a QB with limited exposure to the sport, it might top the screw up the Bears did in moving up for Trubiskiy. I'm rooting for it.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think it’s a mixed bag

Allen and Mahomes played in Div1 and wasn't on a powerhouse. I don't have a problem with players coming from FCS but NDSU is pretty much the Bama of the FCS and have won the last 8 of 9 championships

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen and Mahomes played in Div1 and wasn't on a powerhouse. I don't have a problem with players coming from FCS but NDSU is pretty much the Bama of the FCS and have won the last 8 of 9 championships
Both Mahomes and Allen had started for more then a single season and then add that Lance opt out of football in 2020. I don't think Lance is being considered by the 49ers at all. I like Fields as a QB myself, but Jones does fit better with the 49ers.
Shanahan has developed a really good offensive system to scheme players open. It works, it's effective and he wants a QB who will run it properly and not leave the pocket for back yard foorball or hero ball. He's built a good OL so the QB will have the time needed to make the reads and run the offense. Jones fits what he wants his QB to do, which is run his highly successful offensive system from the pocket.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I feel lower on Fields is because whatever logic you can use to take Wilson over Fields probably then also applies to the other guys. I think casual logic would suggest that Lawrence and Fields should be 1 and 1a so the reluctance on Fields is over something fairly big.
I hate quoting myself but maybe the 'something big' is that he has been managing epilepsy.

To me that doesn't seem like a big deal but maybe it is?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For you. Just nobody else and especially people who do this for a living lol
I mean, somehow Mac Jones is speculated as the number 3 pick and outside of Lawrence, Lance is considered to have the highest upside. So obviously it isn’t just me.