• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So lets try to predict who the 49ers take with the 1.03

Who do the 49ers take at the 1.03?

• Total voters

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd McShay on the 49er pick.

San Francisco 49ers (No. 3)​

The 49ers moved up from No. 12 to No. 3 with a massive trade at the end of March, which all but locked them into a QB in Round 1. Teams don't salvage their futures and jump nine spots into the top five to do anything else. But which quarterback will it be?

I'm told that many in the 49ers' personnel department have pushed for North Dakota State QB Trey Lance but that coach Kyle Shanahan wants to draft Alabama's Mac Jones. One person I spoke to even heard that Shanahan might "acquiesce" to the scouting department on the selection, but others have said that seems unlikely. At this time of year, there is a lot of seed planting in the rumor mill, and it could certainly be the case here.

What we do know is the first three picks will be quarterbacks, and it appears more than likely that Jones will be that No. 3 selection.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“I am a little confused why people would rather have Trey Lance. I get the Justin Fields thing, but if we’re looking at percentage of accurate throws 10+ yards down the field, since 2018 these are the ranks: number one is Joe Burrow at 57%, number two is Justin Fields at 56%, but Mac Jones is right there at 56% as well. So he’s number three. Then you go down the list and Trey Lance is at 154 at 36% accurate...Every time Trey Lance threw the ball it was to a wide open receiver and he wasn’t even accurate with those wide open wide receivers.”

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac Jones in 2020

4500 yards passing

41 touchdowns

4 interceptions

77.4 % competition average

It's college stats, so not to put too much weight on the stats, but those are outstanding stats even in college.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Mac Jones in 2020

4500 yards passing

41 touchdowns

4 interceptions

It's college stats, so not to put too much weight on the stats, but those are outstanding stats even in college.
It's one of the greatest college seasons for a QB of all time and while I don't think he'd be a disaster or flat out bust for the 9ers if they pick him he's still has physical limitations that will keep his ceiling on the lower end.

Even though he played in the SEC the talent in the NFL is bigger, stronger, and faster along with the fact that he's not going to be on a team that's the has a big gap in talent like he did with Alabama.

Right now he's Joe Burrow but less athletic and with a weaker arm which isn't terrible by any means but doesn't exactly excite you that you're getting the poor man's Joe Burrow.

He just gives me those Derek Carr QB category vibes in that he'll be pretty good but nothing special and I can't help feel that if the 9ers draft him they'll have replaced the 4th best QB in the NFC West with the 4th best QB in the NFC West.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“I am a little confused why people would rather have Trey Lance. I get the Justin Fields thing, but if we’re looking at percentage of accurate throws 10+ yards down the field, since 2018 these are the ranks: number one is Joe Burrow at 57%, number two is Justin Fields at 56%, but Mac Jones is right there at 56% as well. So he’s number three. Then you go down the list and Trey Lance is at 154 at 36% accurate...Every time Trey Lance threw the ball it was to a wide open receiver and he wasn’t even accurate with those wide open wide receivers.”
The next Jordan Love. You taking him if you want to start him in 3 years. He will drop, there is always one guy that will drop

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac Jones in 2020

4500 yards passing

41 touchdowns

4 interceptions

Well when you have 3 guys that are great at running routes and run 4.3’s while never taking a hit in the backfield....ohh and an exceptional 3-down RB it can make you look better than you are. I’m not saying he will be a bust but he has a lower ceiling.

I mean if the best thing you can say about him is, “he is a very accurate QB” that isn’t saying much. He doesn’t have much mobility, lack of arm strength...sounds like Shanahan’s guy aka Kirk Cousins

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why everyone is so high on Lance.. Dude played against nobody. Yes he had the "yards" but is he big game ready? Dude has project round 2 or 3 QB written all over him to me.. Which could be exactly what the 49ers want after not (still time) trading Jimmy G.
Problem with this years draft and grades on QB is next years class is going to be terrible.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was a good argument before Josh Allen turned a MVP type season. Much like the Russell Wilson broke the height barrier, Josh Allen broke the barrier of being absolutely terrible in college but has talent.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're playing coy but I think Kyle has always wanted Jones. Giggity.....

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're playing coy but I think Kyle has always wanted Jones. Giggity.....

If that's always where they were going, they wouldn't have given up a king's ransom to move up. Everything I hear about Jones is that prior to the Niners showing interest, he was pretty much gonna be a 2nd day pick. There was no reason to move up for him. According to walterfootball.com, there are multiple teams that had a 4th round grade on him.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's always where they were going, they wouldn't have given up a king's ransom to move up. Everything I hear about Jones is that prior to the Niners showing interest, he was pretty much gonna be a 2nd day pick. There was no reason to move up for him. According to walterfootball.com, there are multiple teams that had a 4th round grade on him.

I'm sure there are teams that grade players very differently but there is no way the Jones was ever going to make it out of the first round. He will go top 10

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with this years draft and grades on QB is next years class is going to be terrible.

Yeah that is the crappy part and scares me that the Patriots will do something stupid....

But I still don't see them drafting the top "5" QB this year

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't be surprise if they take Jones. If Shanahan can take JimmyG and Matt Ryan to the SB than I can see why he would believe he could do the same with a guy like Mac Jones on a rookie contract. Before the 49ers trade, Jones was mostly considered a mid-1st with his stock rising quickly and being link to the Panthers at #8 which could be the reason the 49ers traded up. It's definitely a steep price but it's a gamble no matter who they draft at #3

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Shanahan can take JimmyG and Matt Ryan to the SB than I can see why he would believe he could do the same with a guy like Mac Jones on a rookie contract.

Look at SFs record when Jimmy G has missed games. Shanahan and the Niners sucks without a premier QB. Mac Jones could be a premier QB, but I wouldn't put my money on it. SF sold the farm for a QB and if that QB plays the way SF QBs not named Jimmy Garoplolo have played, Shanahan and that QB will have very, very hot seats. That was a lot to gamble on a QB that most teams seem to be very low on if Mac is the guy.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at SFs record when Jimmy G has missed games. Shanahan and the Niners sucks without a premier QB. Mac Jones could be a premier QB, but I wouldn't put my money on it. SF sold the farm for a QB and if that QB plays the way SF QBs not named Jimmy Garoplolo have played, Shanahan and that QB will have very, very hot seats. That was a lot to gamble on a QB that most teams seem to be very low on if Mac is the guy.
Good point. Now just imagine drafting a QB at worst just as good as JG who is also cheaper and healthier. Either way no matter who they draft at QB, Shanahan will be a hot seat if it don't work out

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just don't draft a North Dakota State QB in the first round. The kid has never played against a team with other NFL quality players on it.

The biggest difference in that level of football is overall team speed and depth.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now he's Joe Burrow but less athletic and with a weaker arm which isn't terrible by any means but doesn't exactly excite you that you're getting the poor man's Joe Burrow.
He would be being drafted 3 times later than Burrow was so that probably qualifies as "poor man's."

Anyhoo, my money is on the Mac daddy. If Shanahan wants him then you get him. Kyle's got a track record everywhere he's been, getting an MVP season out of Matt Ryan in 2016, having brought to team to the superbowl in 2019 and so on. If you're John Lynch then you'd have to be pretty dumb to tell Kyle that you know better when it comes to how to run an offense.

Last edited:

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just don't draft a North Dakota State QB in the first round. The kid has never played against a team with other NFL quality players on it.

The biggest difference in that level of football is overall team speed and depth.
Should've told that to the Eagles.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that is the crappy part and scares me that the Patriots will do something stupid....

But I still don't see them drafting the top "5" QB this year
I think Lance would be the perfect guy for NE if either he falls or you guys trade up. You got Cam, Lance can sit for at least a full year. IMO Lance is the most “talented” out of all of the QB’s. It is just going to take the right coach and right situation.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lance would be the perfect guy for NE if either he falls or you guys trade up. You got Cam, Lance can sit for at least a full year. IMO Lance is the most “talented” out of all of the QB’s. It is just going to take the right coach and right situation.

I am not so excited in the "we got Cam" department but he can't be any worse than he was last year... Lance would learn from McDaniels for sure and hopefully from Cam. We shall see how tomorrow goes. I still have a gut feeling BB trades out of the first round, especially is those top 5 QBs are gone