• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So lets try to predict who the 49ers take with the 1.03

Who do the 49ers take at the 1.03?

• Total voters

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Thing is it's hard to judge how a player does moving from playing small time ball in college to big time ball in the pros and you only have the 2019 season to go on. Also missing a entire season of competing surely doesn't help smooth out mechanics and does bring up how committed he is to the sport.
If the 49ers traded all that draft capitol to move up to the 1.03 then draft Lance a QB with limited exposure to the sport, it might top the screw up the Bears did in moving up for Trubiskiy. I'm rooting for it.

Lance didn't opt out of the season but it was canceled save for 1 game.

And the interviews I've heard from people that are working with him is that he has cleaned up his mechanics. If you want to work on your mechanics it's really better that you don't play because if you're in the process of working on your mechanics during the season you're more likely to revert to bad habits in the heat of the moment.

No doubt he's the riskiest pick out of the big names but his upside is immense and he could end up being the best one out of the class so it's definitely a swing for the fences move if they do take him. But given what I've heard that he has an extremely high football IQ and is incredibly hard working I'd be willing to gamble on that potential.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance didn't opt out of the season but it was canceled save for 1 game.

And the interviews I've heard from people that are working with him is that he has cleaned up his mechanics. If you want to work on your mechanics it's really better that you don't play because if you're in the process of working on your mechanics during the season you're more likely to revert to bad habits in the heat of the moment.

No doubt he's the riskiest pick out of the big names but his upside is immense and he could end up being the best one out of the class so it's definitely a swing for the fences move if they do take him. But given what I've heard that he has an extremely high football IQ and is incredibly hard working I'd be willing to gamble on that potential.
Well this is going to be interesting to see who the 49ers go with, obviously opinions vary. I forgot that the season was cancelled rather then he opt out, none the less a year away from football can't be considered a plus IMO and make more unlikely that the 49ers would spend all that capitol on a player that A) Didn't play last year B) Only has a limited sample size to judge from. C) Was considered some what raw the last year he played back in 2019.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Both Mahomes and Allen had started for more then a single season and then add that Lance opt out of football in 2020. I don't think Lance is being considered by the 49ers at all. I like Fields as a QB myself, but Jones does fit better with the 49ers.
Shanahan has developed a really good offensive system to scheme players open. It works, it's effective and he wants a QB who will run it properly and not leave the pocket for back yard foorball or hero ball. He's built a good OL so the QB will have the time needed to make the reads and run the offense. Jones fits what he wants his QB to do, which is run his highly successful offensive system from the pocket.

In years past I'd say that's completely the case but the past couple of years I think Kyle has realized he needs someone that can make a play on their own when things don't go according to plan.

After having to face Wilson in Murray twice a season in the division losing to Patrick Mahomes in the SB, and recently having Josh Allen completely demolish the 9ers on MNF I think it finally became apparent that it can't be only his system. I've never seen him gush about a QB like he did with Allen in his post game presser.

He could take Jones because he's accurate, throws with anticipation, and supposed to be an excellent processor but I also think he knows that he'd have the same problem with Jones as he had with the other guys in that Jones wouldn't be able to do much when things went fubar.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In years past I'd say that's completely the case but the past couple of years I think Kyle has realized he needs someone that can make a play on their own when things don't go according to plan.

After having to face Wilson in Murray twice a season in the division losing to Patrick Mahomes in the SB, and recently having Josh Allen completely demolish the 9ers on MNF I think it finally became apparent that it can't be only his system. I've never seen him gush about a QB like he did with Allen in his post game presser.

He could take Jones because he's accurate, throws with anticipation, and supposed to be an excellent processor but I also think he knows that he'd have the same problem with Jones as he had with the other guys in that Jones wouldn't be able to do much when things went fubar.
Even with Jimmy G. getting hurt and having to make do with a limited back up, Shanahan offensive system still produced rather well under the circumstances. I think he believes in his system and wants the QB he choices to run it as instructed and that's not a QB that looks to run. However we are both just taking a guess and we will know here shortly.
Oh and if he wanted a mobile QB why not Fields?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Even with Jimmy G. getting hurt and having to make do with a limited back up, Shanahan offensive system still produced rather well under the circumstances. I think he believes in his system and wants the QB he choices to run it as instructed and that's not a QB that looks to run. However we are both just taking a guess and we will know here shortly.
Oh and if he wanted a mobile QB why not Fields?

He still wants a QB that executes his system effectively but I believe now he wants a guy that if the right tackle blows their block he can escape, roll out, and hit a guy 50 yards down the field off platform. A guy that when it's 2 minutes to go and the whole world knows your passing that can go out and make things happen.

Kyle wants his QB to run his system when it's executed properly but be able to make something happen when it doesn't.

When it comes to Lance vs Fields it's going to come down to football IQ and if they pick Lance it's because they felt they can get a guy that's around if not better physically than Fields but with a higher football IQ.

And personally I'm a Lance guy but I'm a 100% onboard with a Fields pick as well. With Lance though everything I've read and heard that's been reported is he's got a very high football IQ. He's impressive on the whiteboard and he's impressive on the field as well.

He was responsible for calling the protections at the line of scrimmage and setting the route combination for the receivers nor did he have to look at the sidelines to find out from the coach what he should do and this was all at the age of 19. According to PFF they graded him only 5 turnover worthy plays out of his 335 attempts which Jimmy G probably has 5 turnover worthy plays a game.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing a lot of mocks that show Fields dropping down to 9th and 5th QB taken overall. I don't believe it. Most just be trigger bait.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why everyone is so high on Lance.. Dude played against nobody. Yes he had the "yards" but is he big game ready? Dude has project round 2 or 3 QB written all over him to me.. Which could be exactly what the 49ers want after not (still time) trading Jimmy G.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He still wants a QB that executes his system effectively but I believe now he wants a guy that if the right tackle blows their block he can escape, roll out, and hit a guy 50 yards down the field off platform. A guy that when it's 2 minutes to go and the whole world knows your passing that can go out and make things happen.

Kyle wants his QB to run his system when it's executed properly but be able to make something happen when it doesn't.

When it comes to Lance vs Fields it's going to come down to football IQ and if they pick Lance it's because they felt they can get a guy that's around if not better physically than Fields but with a higher football IQ.

And personally I'm a Lance guy but I'm a 100% onboard with a Fields pick as well. With Lance though everything I've read and heard that's been reported is he's got a very high football IQ. He's impressive on the whiteboard and he's impressive on the field as well.

He was responsible for calling the protections at the line of scrimmage and setting the route combination for the receivers nor did he have to look at the sidelines to find out from the coach what he should do and this was all at the age of 19. According to PFF they graded him only 5 turnover worthy plays out of his 335 attempts which Jimmy G probably has 5 turnover worthy plays a game.
I’m just not sure how you can be totally for Lance, not you but I mean anyone. It’s hard to project a guy that has faced very low competition but most importantly a limited number of games. Both are project QB’s and both need the coaching so I’m hopeful Fields can get to his full potential and I believe he can do that in San Fran. I just have mixed feelings about Lance and that doesn’t mean I don’t have questions about Fields, he definitely needs a lot of work

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I’m just not sure how you can be totally for Lance, not you but I mean anyone. It’s hard to project a guy that has faced very low competition but most importantly a limited number of games. Both are project QB’s and both need the coaching so I’m hopeful Fields can get to his full potential and I believe he can do that in San Fran. I just have mixed feelings about Lance and that doesn’t mean I don’t have questions about Fields, he definitely needs a lot of work

I don't think you can really focus on the level of competition but you just have to evaluate a QB based on what you see.

It's all projection and chances are only 2 out of these 5 guys will be successful if that.

With Lance he's clearly got the physical gifts to be elite and from what I've read the guys amazing on the whiteboard and sounds like he can handle the NFL on a mental level as well.

Just needs to land in the right place and you just need to coach him up and hopefully he'll be one of the next great ones.

Patrick Mahomes wasn't Patrick Mahomes when he was a rookie and he needed to sit a year and really be coached up before he was ready. Josh Allen played for Wyoming and he was a sub 60% accurate passer in college and the Bills stuck with him and coached him up and now look at him.

The difficult part with Fields is we just don't have a good grasp of his football IQ. I know he's intelligent but being intelligent doesn't necessarily translate into have a high football IQ and that's some that scouts and evaluators have a better idea since they are able to pick his brain and talk football with him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I consider Lance I don't think of Mahomes or Allen, I think of Trubiski and I hope the 49ers take him. IDK if I've ever heard a poster harp on football IQ as much as Jikkle here is doing on a one year wonder. I personally find the sample size to small and the criteria a bit hard to measure based off one season of play and some interviews and work out. Personally I'd be shocked if that was why the 49ers spent all that draft capitol. If the 49ers pick him I'll eat crow, but I'd be shocked but at the same time happy.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just so bizarre that we don't have a clue. I don't believe for a minute that SF made this huge offer without knowing the specific player they are targeting. But I'll be damned if I can figure it out, there sure is a lot of smoke around Jones and it's not like they need to bluff to get the player then want to fall to them.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just so bizarre that we don't have a clue. I don't believe for a minute that SF made this huge offer without knowing the specific player they are targeting. But I'll be damned if I can figure it out, there sure is a lot of smoke around Jones and it's not like they need to bluff to get the player then want to fall to them.
I trust Lynch & Shanahan more than us fans. If they do use the pick to draft one of the 3. The pressure put on him —- due to the expense of draft picks. Total captain obvious comment I know, but this kid will have a bit more riding on him vs just being a high #1 pick.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I consider Lance I don't think of Mahomes or Allen, I think of Trubiski and I hope the 49ers take him. IDK if I've ever heard a poster harp on football IQ as much as Jikkle here is doing on a one year wonder. I personally find the sample size to small and the criteria a bit hard to measure based off one season of play and some interviews and work out. Personally I'd be shocked if that was why the 49ers spent all that draft capitol. If the 49ers pick him I'll eat crow, but I'd be shocked but at the same time happy.
I'm with you on this. Furthermore, I'm not sure any of the top 6 great QB prospects are any good in this draft.
I'm going to post a link to my post on 2020 QB prospects:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust Lynch & Shanahan more than us fans. If they do use the pick to draft one of the 3. The pressure put on him —- due to the expense of draft picks. Total captain obvious comment I know, but this kid will have a bit more riding on him vs just being a high #1 pick.
No doubt on all of this. They do know more than us, I stand by the thought that they knew before making the trade who they were targeting. They are just doing a really good job of not showing their hand which I don't understand as they don't need to bluff anyone.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially if the fanbase is not behind the pick. Someone like Trubisky couldn't handle the pressure and never looked comfortable or confident while in Chicago and I don't blame him

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting closer to the draft and what others have said, the 49ers have done a great job at hiding who they are picking. Again, they had a #1 option no doubt, no way you risk that much and not know...if they didn’t know that won’t be a good look if it comes out but all that matters is they end up making the right pick.
Mac doesn’t make sense bc I feel he has the lowest ceiling.
Lance doesn’t make as much sense bc he needs the most development and they will have the least data on this kid
Fields seems like the obvious choice bc of his ceiling, athleticism and intangibles but I would be lying if I didn’t say he needs plenty of work with his game. I just think when you are looking at a future QB and you are confident with your system you go with the guy that should have the highest ceiling. The league is moving towards more athleticism at the QB position...and the rumors all of sudden coming from Fields about his lack of work ethic and his stock dropping is very suspicious so I’m thinking the 49ers are creating a smokeshow for Fields. But it’s just crazy that I wouldn’t be surprised if they took any of the 3.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Getting closer to the draft and what others have said, the 49ers have done a great job at hiding who they are picking. Again, they had a #1 option no doubt, no way you risk that much and not know...if they didn’t know that won’t be a good look if it comes out but all that matters is they end up making the right pick.
Mac doesn’t make sense bc I feel he has the lowest ceiling.
Lance doesn’t make as much sense bc he needs the most development and they will have the least data on this kid
Fields seems like the obvious choice bc of his ceiling, athleticism and intangibles but I would be lying if I didn’t say he needs plenty of work with his game. I just think when you are looking at a future QB and you are confident with your system you go with the guy that should have the highest ceiling. The league is moving towards more athleticism at the QB position...and the rumors all of sudden coming from Fields about his lack of work ethic and his stock dropping is very suspicious so I’m thinking the 49ers are creating a smokeshow for Fields. But it’s just crazy that I wouldn’t be surprised if they took any of the 3.

They had to have watched film and came to the conclusion there was at least 3 guys they'd be comfortable taking and they pulled the trigger to get to 3 knowing that no matter what happens at 1 and 2 they'll get someone they want and they aren't at the mercy of hoping things fall their way. Also moving to 3 allowed them to basically setup private workouts masked as pro days for Fields and Lance which included throws Shanahan wanted to see and allowed all the decision makers to attend which you wouldn't have been able to do sitting at 12.

For some reason when reports come out they are still deciding on who to pick some people take that as they somehow traded to 3 and didn't have any idea what to do once they got there. No it means you have your 3 penciled in and you're looking at all the options since you have plenty of time before you have to make a final decision to see if anyone changes your mind.

When the 9ers made the trade they might've had Lawrence, Wilson, Jones as their 3 but when they went to see Fields or Lance at their pro days and the more they interacted with them they might've concluded they'd be a better option than Jones and their 3 on draft day becomes Lawrence, Wilson, Fields/Lance.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had to have watched film and came to the conclusion there was at least 3 guys they'd be comfortable taking and they pulled the trigger to get to 3 knowing that no matter what happens at 1 and 2 they'll get someone they want and they aren't at the mercy of hoping things fall their way. Also moving to 3 allowed them to basically setup private workouts masked as pro days for Fields and Lance which included throws Shanahan wanted to see and allowed all the decision makers to attend which you wouldn't have been able to do sitting at 12.

For some reason when reports come out they are still deciding on who to pick some people take that as they somehow traded to 3 and didn't have any idea what to do once they got there. No it means you have your 3 penciled in and you're looking at all the options since you have plenty of time before you have to make a final decision to see if anyone changes your mind.

When the 9ers made the trade they might've had Lawrence, Wilson, Jones as their 3 but when they went to see Fields or Lance at their pro days and the more they interacted with them they might've concluded they'd be a better option than Jones and their 3 on draft day becomes Lawrence, Wilson, Fields/Lance.
Ohh no doubt thei opinion would have been swayed my poibt is they had a #1 target from the start but that doesn’t mean they will taking that guy. It will be interesting to see how it all folds out

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when the Niners were the example used to show that the way to build a team is to create a great roster, once you do that you can sustain winning with any average QB?

How'd that work out? So well they have now taken the complete opposite approach and traded major draft capital. And that's because you need a franchise QB for long lasting success.