• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So, Jimmy G sucks now?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the title of that article really just being Captain Obvious? All Super Bowl-losing QB's (at least in games that were close enough) probably missed a big throw that could've changed things.
i think it is lol

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yea but I don’t see how that’s relevant

That Tobey Maguire avatar is so annoying for some reason. LOL. You're trolling the whole board with that thing.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What ppl dont realize that year lynch had 5 other carries on the 1 yard line, he lost yards or was stuffed on 4 of them. Small sample size, but no one thinks that way.

I thought you didn't think that Wilson is all that great.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Tobey Maguire avatar is so annoying for some reason. LOL. You're trolling the whole board with that thing.
Tobey Maguire is gods gift to earth, you watch your whore mouth

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most younger people don't know that his real name was Kunta

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's absolutely true.

Put Garappolo on the field by himself against 11 guys and he'll lose every time.....
No argument here, my good sir.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's absolutely true.

Put Garappolo on the field by himself against 11 guys and he'll lose every time.....

This is blasphemy, my good sir, blasphemy! Repent now.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he played good at the Super Bowl. He's not going to be an elite NFL QB but he should be a solid middle tier #1 QB.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he played good at the Super Bowl. He's not going to be an elite NFL QB but he should be a solid middle tier #1 QB.

18/21 to start the game and was arguably outplaying Mahomes. What a reversal! I doubt he'll ever be one of the elite QB's, but I think he's still on an upward trajectory. I hope he gets lucky with health.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18/21 to start the game and was arguably outplaying Mahomes. What a reversal! I doubt he'll ever be one of the elite QB's, but I think he's still on an upward trajectory. I hope he gets lucky with health.
Wondering, do you see him being the centerpiece of the 49ers offense going forward? Passing league where the norm is the QB is the centerpiece of the offense ( yes there are some exceptions ). This season Shanahan had the training wheels on Jimmy G. . Next year do those training wheels come off?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs don't play each other. They play the other defenses.

Jimmy G was outplaying Mahomes but Mahomes is used to taking the longest drops in football. 7+ step drops. Niners were playing a D that was giving KC short throws and taking everything else away. Mahomes was too rattled to consistently make the short throws and/or they tried too hard to push the ball downfield.

Jimmy G, on the other hand, was getting the Ryan Tannehill/Christian Ponder throws against the KC defense. Jimmy G had at least 1 open read on every play and often they were in the middle of the field because KC went all-out against the run.

Its not really comparable.

That said, after looking at the last 3 or so drives in the 4th quarter, Jimmy G was only at fault for about half of the mistakes. The oline really should be blamed for some of the issues the Niners had dealing with balls batted down and letting KC blitz right up the middle and hit Jimmy G.

It wasn't just Jimmy G that failed in the 4th quarter. It was all phases of the Niners pass offense. It starts with Jimmy G but there were so many issues that its understandable to just think that SF should have just kept running.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much agree with most everything you have said but JimmyG's 18/21 was based largely on what they do in the offense. Play action short passes and easy throws and then let the WRs run after the catch. And one was a push pass which I think the stat guys need to change. Not so much a knock on the guy but right now, that's what he is. I'm not sure if Shanahan forgot that or what but Jimmy wasn't up to the task. I do think he has the tools to be good enough but it remains to be seen if he improves. That 4th qtr looked like Kirk Cousins which is not good.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 4th qtr looked like Kirk Cousins which is not good.
Reminded me a lot of Sam Bradford, actually. Balls batted down, huge miss downfield, threw a lot of balls that were intercepted or could have been intercepted.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reminded me a lot of Sam Bradford, actually. Balls batted down, huge miss downfield, threw a lot of balls that were intercepted or could have been intercepted.
Think both Bradford and Cousins are apt comparisons. For sure doesn't look like Joe Montana at all.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wondering, do you see him being the centerpiece of the 49ers offense going forward? Passing league where the norm is the QB is the centerpiece of the offense ( yes there are some exceptions ). This season Shanahan had the training wheels on Jimmy G. . Next year do those training wheels come off?

I see Jimmy G as a guy who's just going to do his job in that offense. Don't see him as elite. Whatever Shanahan decides to do, Jimmy will go along with it and not make any noise. If Shanahan wants to go more pass heavy, Jimmy should be able to that reasonably well because he'll have even more knowledge of the system. Shanahan should have Jimmy doing more and more the longer they are together. I think he's a franchise QB for the Niners, but he's not a superstar QB. Being just good is good enough for me.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs don't play each other. They play the other defenses.

Jimmy G was outplaying Mahomes but Mahomes is used to taking the longest drops in football. 7+ step drops. Niners were playing a D that was giving KC short throws and taking everything else away. Mahomes was too rattled to consistently make the short throws and/or they tried too hard to push the ball downfield.

Jimmy G, on the other hand, was getting the Ryan Tannehill/Christian Ponder throws against the KC defense. Jimmy G had at least 1 open read on every play and often they were in the middle of the field because KC went all-out against the run.

Its not really comparable.

That said, after looking at the last 3 or so drives in the 4th quarter, Jimmy G was only at fault for about half of the mistakes. The oline really should be blamed for some of the issues the Niners had dealing with balls batted down and letting KC blitz right up the middle and hit Jimmy G.

It wasn't just Jimmy G that failed in the 4th quarter. It was all phases of the Niners pass offense. It starts with Jimmy G but there were so many issues that its understandable to just think that SF should have just kept running.

Yeah, it's a team game after all.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's my least favorite Spiderman, and that includes the terrible '70s TV series. Take that, Tobey Maguire!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Jimmy G as a guy who's just going to do his job in that offense. Don't see him as elite. Whatever Shanahan decides to do, Jimmy will go along with it and not make any noise. If Shanahan wants to go more pass heavy, Jimmy should be able to that reasonably well because he'll have even more knowledge of the system. Shanahan should have Jimmy doing more and more the longer they are together. I think he's a franchise QB for the Niners, but he's not a superstar QB. Being just good is good enough for me.
I’ll just take that as a admission that Jimmy is not ever going to be the centerpiece of the offense.