• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I guess we are drafting Brandon Scherff

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we stay at 5 which I hope we don't we need more picks I would select Scherff over the OLB's

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually its would be very wrong and rather communist for me to try and CONFORM you to my opinion. I can disagree with your opinion all I want. I can even tell you WHY i disagree. But to tell you that you are dumb, or try and continually tell you that YOUR opinion holds no merit because it doesnt fit into what the majority of people think on the subject is quite frankly bullshit!

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!! (Name change)

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concensus said Jamarcus Russell would become a franchise QB... need I say more??

And once again.. so you are telling me my opinion is invalid because it does not conform to your view of the world. You sure you arent From Moscow??

There's no doubt that consensus can be wrong. But over the long run, it's far more right than wrong. Consensus also said Trent Williams would be a top-flight LT. Were they wrong?

You love to cite extremes or outliers to prove a particular point, and this is simply more of the same. And Moscow? That's exactly what they do.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's simply time to agree to disagree. :noidea:

In essence it's the age old debate of need vs BPA and how that's ultimately determined/defined.

Can we at least agree that it depends on the organization, the talent evaluators and the strategy of how they run their boards?

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's simply time to agree to disagree. :noidea:

In essence it's the age old debate of need vs BPA and how that's ultimately determined/defined.

Can we at least agree that it depends on the organization, the talent evaluators and the strategy of how they run their boards?

It might be that time, Cali. But there are some established guidelines here. No matter what team you are and where you place in the power rankings, top draft choices are based on BPA that fits a need. If it were simply BPA alone and say, Indianspolis was on the clock with Mariota as the BPA, they'd be foolish to take him since he doesn't fit a need. They'd look for another an equivalent BPA to see if he'd fit a need or otherwise trade down.

How do you determine who's a BPA? That can seem like a tricky one, but if you rely on a consensus of NFL personnel guys and others with proven track records for evaluating college talent, you can get a pretty good idea of who fits where on a big board.

Then, you've a gameplan of sorts to handle the draft. If you're on the clock and you see someone you covet but he's a bit down your draft board, you may not get value for your pick, but the issue becomes whether it's worth it you to draft that player despite the loss of value.

With Scherff, I think the overwhelming body of evidence shows he's not worthy of our #5 as his true value lies somewhere between #10 to #15. If we keep our pick and decide to draft him, we have to acknowledge we're giving up on a lot value taking him there. However, will that be worth it to, McCloughan? Perhaps so. He may believe Scherff is the next big-time OG and if you trade down, you'll lose him. In that case, I can see why you'd give up value for him. However, that's just one scenario to illustrate how this all plays out.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said a number of times QB is the only exception to the BPA rule. Does anyone think that Winston is a better prospect than Willaims? Is there a chance Green Bay takes a QB if he is the BPA on their board? Of course not. But other than QB I firmly believe most teams go BPA. Now again if they are close then you fill a need, no doubt. But to elevate a player several spots just to fill a need is always a mistake.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said a number of times QB is the only exception to the BPA rule. Does anyone think that Winston is a better prospect than Willaims? Is there a chance Green Bay takes a QB if he is the BPA on their board? Of course not. But other than QB I firmly believe most teams go BPA. Now again if they are close then you fill a need, no doubt. But to elevate a player several spots just to fill a need is always a mistake.

like the cowboys did when they picked a center who was rated as a 3rd round prospect and picked him 23 rd overall ?

this BPA vs need debate is foolish because its a combination of both

but to sell me that taking a guy 4 spots higher then most "experts " have him projected and call it a grand canyon sized reach is simply laughable

in the end i can be wrong scherf could be drafted late in round one and beasley is our pick . if so i will be on the beasley bandwagon or fowler or any other BPA out there

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like the cowboys did when they picked a center who was rated as a 3rd round prospect and picked him 23 rd overall ?

this BPA vs need debate is foolish because its a combination of both

but to sell me that taking a guy 4 spots higher then most "experts " have him projected and call it a grand canyon sized reach is simply laughable

in the end i can be wrong scherf could be drafted late in round one and beasley is our pick . if so i will be on the beasley bandwagon or fowler or any other BPA out there

Some people are just more hung up on what we could get for trading the pick, or how exciting the pick is that is all.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people are just more hung up on what we could get for trading the pick, or how exciting the pick is that is all.

The Cowboys used the wrong process in selecting Frederick that high. Yes, the hit on him. But what you seem to be missing is the lost opportunity cost in passing up on someone else worth that pick. In other words, if you could've had Frederick in the third round, you could have used the first rounder you blew on him to select a high rated player. Thus, despite the fact that Frederick turned out well, the Cowboys passed up a chance in adding a higher ranked player to their roster.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And i would love to make the same kind of MISTAKE the Cowboys did that allowed an oft injured RB to be the second leading rusher in the league, and allow a QB that most considered one hit away from retirement to put up a career year.

How screwed up were those picks??

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys used the wrong process in selecting Frederick that high. Yes, the hit on him. But what you seem to be missing is the lost opportunity cost in passing up on someone else worth that pick. In other words, if you could've had Frederick in the third round, you could have used the first rounder you blew on him to select a high rated player. Thus, despite the fact that Frederick turned out well, the Cowboys passed up a chance in adding a higher ranked player to their roster.

maybe , maybe not , perhaps he was their 23rd best player and they took him perhaps if you waited till round 3 he would be gone . perhaps you miss on alleged better player by pundit standards

and correct me if i am wrong but no GM of 32 teams has released his draft board so we dont know anything but what pundits are saying

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think Chester still being on this team speaks volumes. Plus Long was a 3rd round pick. I am leaning towards a Copper and Ayjayi draft right now for our first two picks. Assuming Williams and Fowler are off the board.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think Chester still being on this team speaks volumes. Plus Long was a 3rd round pick. I am leaning towards a Copper and Ayjayi draft right now for our first two picks. Assuming Williams and Fowler are off the board.

It speaks more of practicality. Long couldnt even sniff the field last year no matter that Chester was a turnstile.

Let me ask you this, if you knew you needed a new car, but were not sure about the financing.. would you take the old car and light it on fire??

You hold onto Chester until his replacement is on roster.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark the organization is not giving up on Long and Moses. No one is going to take Scherff in the top 4 picks. So if the Skins were that high on him Chester would have been gone. Just b/c a rookie doesn't produce in his first year you write him off? that's crazy.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark the organization is not giving up on Long and Moses. No one is going to take Scherff in the top 4 picks. So if the Skins were that high on him Chester would have been gone. Just b/c a rookie doesn't produce in his first year you write him off? that's crazy.

NO one says give up on Long. Moses was a waste of space and a bad mistake. At best he is a backup and at worst he is well lest face it he was a mistake.

And you have apparently given up on Murphy the way you been screaming for a pass rusher at every turn. Or let me guess the double standard applies only to OLB. Because if you can get a sure fire O-lineman, but have a backup and garbage on the roster, its ok to pass. But for a pass rusher.. you can never pass those up right??

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you need three OLb's. Plus Fowler could play ILB. Fowler is the only OLB I would consider at #5. He is very versatile and can do a lot of things. There are actually rumors that Flowers is going to be there in the early 2nd. I would much rather have Fowler/Cooper and get Flowers in the 2nd. Yes Flowers would trump my Ajayi 2nd round pick.

I agree the Moses is not a LT. He is too slow but he can be a decent RT. It wouldn't shock me if the skins pass on the oline in the first two rounds for guys like Cooper and Ajayi. Im totally ok with that.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you need three OLb's. Plus Fowler could play ILB. Fowler is the only OLB I would consider at #5. He is very versatile and can do a lot of things. There are actually rumors that Flowers is going to be there in the early 2nd. I would much rather have Fowler/Cooper and get Flowers in the 2nd. Yes Flowers would trump my Ajayi 2nd round pick.

I agree the Moses is not a LT. He is too slow but he can be a decent RT. It wouldn't shock me if the skins pass on the oline in the first two rounds for guys like Cooper and Ajayi. Im totally ok with that.

Moses isnt even a RT at this level. Just admit he sucked at OT period and you will start to see the light. If the Skins pass on O-line all together in the early rounds... I hope you like Cardale Jones and dont mind trading up to get him.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we pass on the olineman in the draft this year I can see Moses starting for us at RT. No way we are a top 5 pick next year. Defense is a lot better. I don't care who the QB is the offense will be better than last year.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we pass on the olineman in the draft this year I can see Moses starting for us at RT. No way we are a top 5 pick next year. Defense is a lot better. I don't care who the QB is the offense will be better than last year.

I know you had all kinds of love for this bum. But seriously he might not even be ready for training camp and you are expecting him to start.