• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smith gets offseason to work on mechanics

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it will be very interesting to see what happens with Smith this year. It's the first year he can be completely comfortable and in control. He's got the makings of a very good and very deep supporting cast (though again, I felt the same way last year and that didn't pan out thanks to Edwards tanking and Morgan getting injured). He can relax and just play.

There's a chance he'll make a pretty good jump. He has adequate physical tools to be a very good NFL QB if he can master the "feel" of the game. That's a pretty huge if, though. At the end of the day, it's what separates the greats from the rest. I'm not sure that Alex has it, but he's got a great opportunity to show up otherwise.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
-Full offseason with quality coaching
-Much better supporting cast
-Second year in the same system

Not even mentioning a name any QB under those circumstances should have a better year than he did the previous one.

The debate isn't if Smith will have a better year this season because it would be surprising if he didn't but the question is how big of a jump will he make which will be the intrigue going into the season.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I gotta say is Lincecum had a guy working with him on hi mechanics this offseason and look at how he has pitched so far. Tiger Woods works with guys on his mechanics and look at his inconsistency. If it aint broke....don't fix it. Although in Smiths case he isn't coming from a dominant past, so maybe it will work out.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Harbaugh sees "dramatic improvements" in Smith's mechanics

I'll take it with a grain of salt for now since Harbaugh never talks negatively about players in public and usually overly positive in his critique which isn't a bad thing mind you.

Though I'm sure Smith's mechanics have at least improved and hopefully he'll have a "dramatic" improvement in his mechanics.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh sees "dramatic improvements" in Smith's mechanics

I'll take it with a grain of salt for now since Harbaugh never talks negatively about players in public and usually overly positive in his critique which isn't a bad thing mind you.

Though I'm sure Smith's mechanics have at least improved and hopefully he'll have a "dramatic" improvement in his mechanics.

as the picture of smith throwing clearly shows, he's using his left hand to have pinpoint accuracy when throwing. nfl cornerbacks beware.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Smith needs to work on his syringe handling mechanincs if he ever wants enough arm strength to throw a deep out.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Smith succeeds and does improve greatly. Or I hope Kaep beats him out, or Josh beats him out. The name doesn't matter I want the Qb on the field who is going to get the Niners the sixth Lombardi. And whoever comes out as the Starter I will root for and support. Alex i good last year so I hope he buils on that.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I gotta say is Lincecum had a guy working with him on hi mechanics this offseason and look at how he has pitched so far. Tiger Woods works with guys on his mechanics and look at his inconsistency. If it aint broke....don't fix it. Although in Smiths case he isn't coming from a dominant past, so maybe it will work out.

Dwight Howard worked with a free throw guru last off season and his FT% ended up being the lowest of his career.

Hopefully it works out for Alex.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I asked Eric Branch whether there was a noticeable difference in his delivery
he basically said no and sarcastically wrote Matt Barrows (aka the hawkeye) says there is.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't have a huge problem with Alex's delivery. I think his pocket footwork is what needs more work, and of course being able to go through progressions and see the field more efficiently.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really don't have a huge problem with Alex's delivery. I think his pocket footwork is what needs more work, and of course being able to go through progressions and see the field more efficiently.

His release needs to be higher. Think about all those balls he's had batted down at the LOS.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His release needs to be higher. Think about all those balls he's had batted down at the LOS.

at his height it shouldn't be an issue unless he had a sidearm delivery. which he doesn't.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
at his height it shouldn't be an issue unless he had a sidearm delivery. which he doesn't.

agree his height shouldn't be the reason for batted balls. every QB has one batted down now and then, but it just SEEMS Alex has more than he should?

is it offensive linemen doing a better job holding a pocket, the QB better able to 'feel' passing lanes, poor design of the play, throwing motion, or what? its likely a combination of all, but not including his height.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Batted balls are all about throwing lanes and without some extensive film study it's hard to say if it's the offensive lines fault for not creating them or Smith's fault not throwing through them.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Batted balls are all about throwing lanes and without some extensive film study it's hard to say if it's the offensive lines fault for not creating them or Smith's fault not throwing through them.

things like that might fix themselves with a full offseason under the same system

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the batted passes, I can't help but think of what was reported about Justin Smith batting down Eli Manning's pass.

The neat thing about it, and these things don't show up on the stat sheet, they don't show up as a sack, they don't show up as an interception, they don't show up as a tackle for loss, but as Justin is walking out onto the field, he's walking out with [DT] Ray [McDonald]. He's telling Ray, ‘Ray, be conscious of the b-gap, stay in your lane, take away the b-gap, get your hands up,' and the last thing he said was ‘he's going to throw it in the b-gap'.

How Justin Smith knows that, just an example of him thinking through the game and communicating that to Ray, and sure enough [Giants QB] Eli [Manning] sets up and tries to hit that little short post throwing right through the b-gap and there's Justin to knock it down. I read Justin's comments that he was tired and that he was just lucky to be standing there and put his hands up, but that wasn't the case. He was thinking it through and just as he had foreseen, that ball came his way and he was there to knock it down.

I'm willing to bet that the players and coaches of the teams going up against Alex Smith are also aware of which gap he likes to throw through under certain downs and situations, the way Justin Smith knew where Eli was likely to try and throw the ball. It's not like the 49ers are the only ones who study film.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to the batted passes, I can't help but think of what was reported about Justin Smith batting down Eli Manning's pass.

I'm willing to bet that the players and coaches of the teams going up against Alex Smith are also aware of which gap he likes to throw through under certain downs and situations, the way Justin Smith knew where Eli was likely to try and throw the ball. It's not like the 49ers are the only ones who study film.

:shocked::mad::rant: