• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Silver lining: stress free football the rest of the year

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because that's what he has always done. That was the offensive scheme at baylor. Get him out on space to cause havoc in the secondary. From there, he can either run or pass to an open receiver as the secondary freezes waiting for him to take off. In a sense, that's the way we used him last year, also.

This year, we are trying to establish him as a pocket passer. I get why we are trying to do this, just question the timing. He had no offseason to work on this. So basically we are asking him to change his style of play on the fly......with an offensive line that is not adept at pocket protection.....any wonder why he's having issues?

In any event, I have no doubt he can, and will, adapt. He is very very good as well as intelligent. Our expectations need to be tempered a bit (understandable after last year) and the play calling needs to be adjusted.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have huge doubts on whether or not he can adjust. Can he get his mechanics under control? Will he do the film study and get into the playbook? I have no doubt about him working on the physical side of the game but for a QB, it's not about the physical.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His mechanics have taken a step back this year. I believe it is injury related. In hindsight, he came back too early. He started throwing on a knee that was not ready. Consequently, he developed a bad habit of throwing off his back foot because he was uncomfortable planting his front leg. This has resulted in inaccuracy in some of his throws. This will need to be addressed in the offseason.

My bigger concern is not if he will put in the time, either in the study room, weight room, or practice field, but if he recognizes what he needs to work on and will listen to those that might give him sound advice and council. In short, I'm concerned about his inner circle and are they telling him what he wants to hear or what he needs to hear.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His mechanics have taken a step back this year. I believe it is injury related. In hindsight, he came back too early. He started throwing on a knee that was not ready. Consequently, he developed a bad habit of throwing off his back foot because he was uncomfortable planting his front leg. This has resulted in inaccuracy in some of his throws. This will need to be addressed in the offseason.

My bigger concern is not if he will put in the time, either in the study room, weight room, or practice field, but if he recognizes what he needs to work on and will listen to those that might give him sound advice and council. In short, I'm concerned about his inner circle and are they telling him what he wants to hear or what he needs to hear.

i dont have any doubts about him . i think the losing streak has everyone on edge

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont have any doubts about him . i think the losing streak has everyone on edge

I agree that losing has people looking for reasons, and sometimes things do get blown out of proportion. I hope you are right. I have no doubts about his physical skills or mental acumen. I have some concern over his maturity. As I said in another post, given his drive to be the best, I expect him to devote this offseason to improve his mechanics and his pocket passing skills. He just wants it too much for him not to be a success long term.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that losing has people looking for reasons, and sometimes things do get blown out of proportion. I hope you are right. I have no doubts about his physical skills or mental acumen. I have some concern over his maturity. As I said in another post, given his drive to be the best, I expect him to devote this offseason to improve his mechanics and his pocket passing skills. He just wants it too much for him not to be a success long term.

:agree: look a couple of victories and we could be talking about how he turns the corner

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that the losing streak has everyone on edge, I believe the concern is justified. He's our future and we gave up a ton for him. He has taken a step backwards this season.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that the losing streak has everyone on edge, I believe the concern is justified. He's our future and we gave up a ton for him. He has taken a step backwards this season.

cam newton did too in year 2 , this year much better

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cam newton did too in year 2 , this year much better

Cam Newton didn't really take a step back in year 2. His year one was just overhyped.

Cam this year isn't any better. He's just got a better defense.

He's being asked to do less and is making fewer mistakes this season.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton didn't really take a step back in year 2. His year one was just overhyped.

Cam this year isn't any better. He's just got a better defense.

He's being asked to do less and is making fewer mistakes this season.

and RG3's wasnt overhyped ?

no i think cam had typical year 2 struggles and now he has adjusted . you say he isnt asked to do those things , i say he is maturing and taking whats there and not believing he has to win every play by himself

enkay21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put Luck or Wilson on this team and we're still 3-7, end of story.

RG3 definitely can improve, but this team needs to improve even more. I'll reserve judgment until his first full offseason - his numbers aren't as good as his rookie year but he definitely isn't even the biggest reason we are 3-7.

Average starting LOS: 22 (last in league)
Def average starting LOS: 30 (28th in league)

Giving up over 30 points a game on defense. Our GOOD offense can't offset our historically poor ST and awful Defense.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put Luck or Wilson on this team and we're still 3-7, end of story.

RG3 definitely can improve, but this team needs to improve even more. I'll reserve judgment until his first full offseason - his numbers aren't as good as his rookie year but he definitely isn't even the biggest reason we are 3-7.

Average starting LOS: 22 (last in league)
Def average starting LOS: 30 (28th in league)

Giving up over 30 points a game on defense. Our GOOD offense can't offset our historically poor ST and awful Defense.

Enkay.... If we would be 3-7 no matter who the QB was, it kinda makes the point that we might be better off had we not made the trade since those resources could have gone towards improving the O-line, D-line and secondary.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, we had to get our QB at some point. I get what you are saying about RG3. If i hear you correctly, while you are concerned about his regression this year, you are more concerned about the price we paid for a QB that might not be the "savior" that he was made out to be. I just think it is way to early to show long term concern for RG3's success. As many have pointed out to you, there are valid reasons why he has struggled this year so I won't belabor them again. But what he is going through is no worse than almost every single young QB goes through. The good ones grow out of it and based on RG3's work ethic, desire to succeed and physical and mental abilities, I have little concern that he will be one of the good ones before his career is over.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enkay.... If we would be 3-7 no matter who the QB was, it kinda makes the point that we might be better off had we not made the trade since those resources could have gone towards improving the O-line, D-line and secondary.

we should have plenty of money next season to address that . i bet there a lot of GM's who would love to have RG3

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, we had to get our QB at some point. I get what you are saying about RG3. If i hear you correctly, while you are concerned about his regression this year, you are more concerned about the price we paid for a QB that might not be the "savior" that he was made out to be. I just think it is way to early to show long term concern for RG3's success. As many have pointed out to you, there are valid reasons why he has struggled this year so I won't belabor them again. But what he is going through is no worse than almost every single young QB goes through. The good ones grow out of it and based on RG3's work ethic, desire to succeed and physical and mental abilities, I have little concern that he will be one of the good ones before his career is over.

Based on the cost, and the fact that he has never been more than an option QB, Im not sold that he will progress to the point where he will be worth that trade. Alot of option styles QBs eventually are considered good in the NFL. But I cant think of ANY QB short of maybe Manning, Unitas, Baugh and maybe Sonny, that would have been worth the price we invested in Griffin.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should have plenty of money next season to address that . i bet there a lot of GM's who would love to have RG3

Yea, cause we have done a smash up job with free agents. And again, had we gotten him for a single draft pick, my expectations would be tempered.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the cost, and the fact that he has never been more than an option QB, Im not sold that he will progress to the point where he will be worth that trade. Alot of option styles QBs eventually are considered good in the NFL. But I cant think of ANY QB short of maybe Manning, Unitas, Baugh and maybe Sonny, that would have been worth the price we invested in Griffin.

No doubt we paid a king's ransom for RG3. We went all in. We had to. You may be right that he never lives up to the price we paid, but I just think its way too early to make that judgment, especially since it is based on his performance this year. Last year, you were not singing this tune.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, cause we have done a smash up job with free agents. And again, had we gotten him for a single draft pick, my expectations would be tempered.

we did what you and others advocated before with bradford and sanchez and now you are changing the tune ?

i said before the Rg3 draft /trade that we would have to gut a few drafts to get a franchise guy and was told it "wasnt an issue that a franchise qb was paramount " that we had to get rid our " AVG Bus driver QBs ' and that franchise qbs make bad o/lines better blah blah blah

now we go on a losing streak and the sky is falling even though the team did what you said it should have done ?

did you think you would get a franchise guy for a single stinking pick ?

man fans are incredible . they have no core convictions and will bail at the slightest bit of trouble the expectations are silly

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we did what you and others advocated before with bradford and sanchez and now you are changing the tune ?

i said before the Rg3 draft /trade that we would have to gut a few drafts to get a franchise guy and was told it "wasnt an issue that a franchise qb was paramount " that we had to get rid our " AVG Bus driver QBs ' and that franchise qbs make bad o/lines better blah blah blah

now we go on a losing streak and the sky is falling even though the team did what you said it should have done ?

did you think you would get a franchise guy for a single stinking pick ?

man fans are incredible . they have no core convictions and will bail at the slightest bit of trouble the expectations are silly

Fine, I will admit it. I think we went all in on the wrong guy.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, I will admit it. I think we went all in on the wrong guy.

are you sure about that shark and what you are admitting too ?

after 26 career starts you believe he is a bust ? he was ROY , led us to our 1st division title in over a decade , has set numerous team and nfl records and because of a bad stretch of games he is now urine ?

and you believe that is a wise assessment ? really ? so we can throw out all those "i didnt say he was a bust " statements as being not being able to grab a pair and say what i was thinking ?

man . you epitomize doom and gloom