• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Silver lining: stress free football the rest of the year

enkay21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since our season is over.

Really, really, really looking forward to RG3 having a full off-season, using some of the cap space we get back to fill a role in the secondary, and our high 2nd round pick to hopefully contribute immediately. Who knows, maybe Philip Thomas will be a baller, as well.

I do NOT think this team needs to be blown up by any means, but I expect there to be changes on the defensive side of the ball and for a play maker to be added on offense (Nicks? Who knows).

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team does nOt need to be blown up. We have some key talent. We just need to augment it on offense and fill 2 glaring holes on defense, ILB and S. We can't expect Rambo and Thomas to fill those holes yet. They need a couple of years as backups to learn their trade. Where they can contribute, and should, is STs. Good teams draft potential starters in the 3-6 rounds and use them on STs and slowly work them into the rotation. We expect these same caliber players to come in and start their rookie years. That rarely works, as evidenced by Rambo this year. We have to solve our immediate safety issue via FA and build depth via the draft, which we may have done.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since our season is over.

Really, really, really looking forward to RG3 having a full off-season, using some of the cap space we get back to fill a role in the secondary, and our high 2nd round pick to hopefully contribute immediately. Who knows, maybe Philip Thomas will be a baller, as well.

I do NOT think this team needs to be blown up by any means, but I expect there to be changes on the defensive side of the ball and for a play maker to be added on offense (Nicks? Who knows).

Yep - sounds pretty reasonable. Just hope that it comes together next season. Don't want to keep saying "wait until next year". Maybe things turning out like this is for the best since it portrays a more accurate picture of the teams' weaknesses. Last season felt so good - want to go through that just about every season. We will see.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly stress free since if we continue to play bad football, the head coach (and thus the OC by proxy) will be on the hot seat. Any time a team is playing for the coaches job, which is in effect where we are now, that brings alot of stress. Haslett is likely done, fair or not is debatable. The Shanahans... well the next six games will either cement them in for another year or open them up to questions of do we need to totally clean house on the coaching staff.

Side note, I think Snyder and Allen will insist Burns be replaced a ST coach.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly stress free since if we continue to play bad football, the head coach (and thus the OC by proxy) will be on the hot seat. Any time a team is playing for the coaches job, which is in effect where we are now, that brings alot of stress. Haslett is likely done, fair or not is debatable. The Shanahans... well the next six games will either cement them in for another year or open them up to questions of do we need to totally clean house on the coaching staff.

Side note, I think Snyder and Allen will insist Burns be replaced a ST coach.

I believe he meant stress free for the fans - not the players or coaches. As you mention - it will be more stressful for them - rightfully so. Also - I don't care about Haslett & whether it is fair. All I care about is the Redskins & their future. Sure - there is a small chance that getting rid of Haslett is a mistake, but I doubt it & have no problem with them kicking him to the curb. As someone mentioned in another thread getting rid of him does not automatically mean that they will replace the current basic defensive system.

As for Burns - he is lucky to still be coaching right now - nobody will object if he is gone.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
until we lose next week then the fan base will go off the handle yet again

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't know about you, but I get less & less upset as the weeks go by since you accept the shortcomings (to a degree) and realize that this just is not their year. I may get a little worked up during the game but calm down pretty quickly afterwards and move on to other things. Oh well.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't think its reasonable to fans to be upset and question the performance and coaching of this team? I think its perfectly reasonable. We most likely are going to be a 3-5 win team. Again. With the exception of last year, this team has not improved where it matters (W/L) in 4 years under shanahan. He, and just about every player, deserves scrutiny.

Having said that, unless shanahan loses the locker room in the last 6 games, he needs to come back. So does Kyle. Haslett, who cares. But if he loses the locker room, he has to go, there is no way around it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know about you, but I get less & less upset as the weeks go by since you accept the shortcomings (to a degree) and realize that this just is not their year. I may get a little worked up during the game but calm down pretty quickly afterwards and move on to other things. Oh well.

look i have watched and read the comments after our losses and they all go something like this

fire the shanny's . fire haslett, the o/line sucks the secondary sucks , start cousins , we shouldve drafted peterson , rak is over rated hank cant catch rocca cant punt and fire burns

wash rinse and repeat

it is just a matter of who chimes in .

the truth is we are struggling because we had too many major injuries from last season to overcome , Rg3 Rak , helu davis , morgan , merriweather carriker and we counted on them to be 100% and to hit the ground running . the only one who did was helu .

the cap penalties are killing us . we werent able to upgrade as planned and thus we had to go with guys who werent up to the task

we still havent had a real distraction free off season from the old CBA, to the lock out to RG3's injury

the fans expectations were through the roof ( no matter how unrealistic they were ) and now the sky is falling because perhaps we played "over our heads " last season

right now i see us as more like detroit . 2 years ago they make the play offs , the following year they are sub 500, this year they are in contention for a divisional title

with some decent cap space and a good draft we can turn it around

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look i have watched and read the comments after our losses and they all go something like this

fire the shanny's . fire haslett, the o/line sucks the secondary sucks , start cousins , we shouldve drafted peterson , rak is over rated hank cant catch rocca cant punt and fire burns

wash rinse and repeat

it is just a matter of who chimes in .

the truth is we are struggling because we had too many major injuries from last season to overcome , Rg3 Rak , helu davis , morgan , merriweather carriker and we counted on them to be 100% and to hit the ground running . the only one who did was helu .

the cap penalties are killing us . we werent able to upgrade as planned and thus we had to go with guys who werent up to the task

we still havent had a real distraction free off season from the old CBA, to the lock out to RG3's injury

the fans expectations were through the roof ( no matter how unrealistic they were ) and now the sky is falling because perhaps we played "over our heads " last season

right now i see us as more like detroit . 2 years ago they make the play offs , the following year they are sub 500, this year they are in contention for a divisional title

with some decent cap space and a good draft we can turn it around

Cannot speak for anyone else but my thinking changes as the weeks go by. I posted several things along these lines earlier in the year but just don't really care that much right now. I accept the fact that this is a bad team right now. As Parcells stated "you are what your record say you are" - for the Skins that is bad.

They can do whatever they like & as I have always stated - I have faith that the organization will do the right thing. Keep in mind - you appear to be more patient than most people. With that in mind - I would not get upset if any of us get impatient & want to see various changes. Fans by definition are fanatics who are not always reasonable. Try to be a little more sympathetic to all of us.

We can all minimize the name calling but to expect that everyone will not go over the edge at times & be unreasonable is simply not understanding what being a fan means to some folks. Don't know about you, but I bleed burgundy & gold & truly feel the pain of some of these losses. With that in mind - I would not be too judgmental.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think its reasonable to fans to be upset and question the performance and coaching of this team? I think its perfectly reasonable. We most likely are going to be a 3-5 win team. Again. With the exception of last year, this team has not improved where it matters (W/L) in 4 years under shanahan. He, and just about every player, deserves scrutiny.

Having said that, unless shanahan loses the locker room in the last 6 games, he needs to come back. So does Kyle. Haslett, who cares. But if he loses the locker room, he has to go, there is no way around it.

didnt say that, but the stress wont go down which is what the OP was addressing

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posters who want to vent don't bother me right now. Cant really blame them at this point, regardless the many rational reasons for WHY we are struggling this year. Venting happens when you have a bad team. It's the over reaction when you have a good team, thats had a bad game, that's more of a problem, IMO.

If you're on this board for any time at all, you already know who are good posters and true fans of this team, which are most people here. I've only seen 1 or 2 posters who I question are fans of this team and they don't typically post often.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot speak for anyone else but my thinking changes as the weeks go by. I posted several things along these lines earlier in the year but just don't really care that much right now. I accept the fact that this is a bad team right now. As Parcells stated "you are what your record say you are" - for the Skins that is bad.

They can do whatever they like & as I have always stated - I have faith that the organization will do the right thing. Keep in mind - you appear to be more patient than most people. With that in mind - I would not get upset if any of us get impatient & want to see various changes. Fans by definition are fanatics who are not always reasonable. Try to be a little more sympathetic to all of us.

We can all minimize the name calling but to expect that everyone will not go over the edge at times & be unreasonable is simply not understanding what being a fan means to some folks. Don't know about you, but I bleed burgundy & gold & truly feel the pain of some of these losses. With that in mind - I would not be too judgmental.

I echo this sentiment. It seems that anyone who post their displeasure with the team regardless of the thread gets a tongue lashing of sorts from others. Like SoCal mentions, each week we lose it hurts and makes for a bad week (for me anyways). As fans, we have been ultra patient given the circumstances over the past 10 years or so. The Cerrato days, the treadmill of coaches, over paid over hyped signings, and now the Shanahan debate or debacle. Which ever you choose to call it. As of right now, the team lacks solid fundamental coaching and needed young talent. Things we can address hopefully in the off season. If Snyder maintains status quo, then I will have a problem going into next year. If he extends Shanahan 1 more year, I will be ok with that also. Let's see what Mike can do with the draft & FA before we extend him any longer or decide to hand the keys to Kyle. At the very least, a new DC is in order as well as a few other coaches I would imagine.

In a year when the NFC East is so down and could have been won by all, we clearly won't win the division coming off a 10-6 season in which we won the division last year. No matter how you look at it, this has been such a disappointing season that continues to spiral downward. Perhaps now would be a good time to promote Kyle and let Mike ride off into the sunset... :noidea:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I echo this sentiment. It seems that anyone who post their displeasure with the team regardless of the thread gets a tongue lashing of sorts from others. Like SoCal mentions, each week we lose it hurts and makes for a bad week (for me anyways). As fans, we have been ultra patient given the circumstances over the past 10 years or so. The Cerrato days, the treadmill of coaches, over paid over hyped signings, and now the Shanahan debate or debacle. Which ever you choose to call it. As of right now, the team lacks solid fundamental coaching and needed young talent. Things we can address hopefully in the off season. If Snyder maintains status quo, then I will have a problem going into next year. If he extends Shanahan 1 more year, I will be ok with that also. Let's see what Mike can do with the draft & FA before we extend him any longer or decide to hand the keys to Kyle. At the very least, a new DC is in order as well as a few other coaches I would imagine.

In a year when the NFC East is so down and could have been won by all, we clearly won't win the division coming off a 10-6 season in which we won the division last year. No matter how you look at it, this has been such a disappointing season that continues to spiral downward. Perhaps now would be a good time to promote Kyle and let Mike ride off into the sunset... :noidea:

Look voicing your displeasure is ok . falling on your sword over a point based on emotion will draw fire

and that door swings both ways partner . the tongue lashings have been given as good as gotten

perhaps you and i got swept in by the hype of last year and were blind to reality

UK cowboy came in as well as Pday and said we werent as good as we thought . they were right in hindsight

we have some good core players , we have had bad things happen during this tenure with injuries cba issues poor talent cap penalties .

but if people want to vent melodramatically then perhaps that opinion carries less weight when the rants dont hold up to the scrutiny of facts

in some peoples world as it comes across in vent land Oc's can never make bad calls o/lineman can never miss a block , qbs cant make mistakes and you apply mistakes as being the common place thing when in fact the stats and such prove otherwise

how many times do i get things dismissed as "garbage time " or on this play blah blah blah they got through on one of some ones "vents " and we spend days debating it ?

people call it not being able to vent . i call it calling you out to defend it . people say it then back it up and stop crying about how you arent free to "vent "

when i type something on this board i expect people will argue my point for or against it you wont hear from me too often that i was "venting " so what i argued about for a week wasnt really what i thought and all the dragging of your name through the mud was really about nothing

so vent all you want but understand you will get some responses with facts and not some melodramatic BS

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad, the whole argument about the OL is a good example. You have responded a couple of times that the "facts" don't bear out that our OL is weak at pass protection. The facts you refer to are stats. Well stats don't always correlate to what is actually occurring. I don't argue that we are an above average team in giving up sacks. But that doesn't mean that we are not poor at pass blocking. You have to look at other factors. First, just watch a game. Our pocket collapses regularly from the middle in. Most times there is no where for RG3 to step up, which is critical for a pocket passer. Second, you have to take into consideration the mobility and escapability of the QB. RG3 is better than most. He avoids many sacks that other traditional QB's would incur. Against the Eagles, he broke out of the pocket after being seemingly trapped multiple times, including both of his TD passes. If that were a less mobile QB, the Eagles might have had 6-8 sacks yesterday. SO the stats are just that, stats. Data that needs to be parsed and evaluated. For this reason, while you may very well believe that the stats are a true indicator of the quality of our line, others would disagree with you because they view those stats differently. So I guess my point is stats aren't necessarily "facts" to all. I'm not drawing a conclusion as to which side is right, just pointing out how there can be a differing opinion on the "facts".

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same time Jay, you have to consider those times where he thinks he can break contain but fails and holds the ball too long.

You also have to realize he doesn't always complete his drops...this was stated in the game against the Eagles.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same time Jay, you have to consider those times where he thinks he can break contain but fails and holds the ball too long.

You also have to realize he doesn't always complete his drops...this was stated in the game against the Eagles.

These are all true. we just need a lot of work this offseason.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad, the whole argument about the OL is a good example. You have responded a couple of times that the "facts" don't bear out that our OL is weak at pass protection. The facts you refer to are stats. Well stats don't always correlate to what is actually occurring. I don't argue that we are an above average team in giving up sacks. But that doesn't mean that we are not poor at pass blocking. You have to look at other factors. First, just watch a game. Our pocket collapses regularly from the middle in. Most times there is no where for RG3 to step up, which is critical for a pocket passer. Second, you have to take into consideration the mobility and escapability of the QB. RG3 is better than most. He avoids many sacks that other traditional QB's would incur. Against the Eagles, he broke out of the pocket after being seemingly trapped multiple times, including both of his TD passes. If that were a less mobile QB, the Eagles might have had 6-8 sacks yesterday. SO the stats are just that, stats. Data that needs to be parsed and evaluated. For this reason, while you may very well believe that the stats are a true indicator of the quality of our line, others would disagree with you because they view those stats differently. So I guess my point is stats aren't necessarily "facts" to all. I'm not drawing a conclusion as to which side is right, just pointing out how there can be a differing opinion on the "facts".

i said the o/line isnt as bad as its made out to be . That was my original statement .

stats are measurable indicators of performance , the stats indicate we are a very good run blocking o/line and an avg pass blocking unit

what else do we use ? the uneducated eyeball test ? the force ?

my hole theory on the o/line is that we can live with what we have till 2015 if needs be

what else are facts ? theories ? well it looks funny ?

or do the stats/facts indicate that what you appear to see and what is real are different or they dont back up your perception

i watch our o/line . i see issues , but are they going to proverbially "kill our qb"

do we replace the hole interior of the line because they dont anchor well ? and at what expense ? we get better pass blockers so we pass the eyeball test yet we cant run ?

but in the end what does this have to do with people venting and how they are responded too ?

i and others dont have the right to have someone venting "that we should bench RG3 " back up that statement with more then " because i think so " ? or we have the worst O/line ever " because my aura tells me it is "

then we top it off by saying venters are being picked on and we are trying to make it extremeskins here ?

joy you and others can vent and at least back it up .

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You missed my point completely. The "we" you continually refer to is a misnomer. Everyone evaluates and places value differently. It doesn't make them right and you wrong nor vice versa. You have chosen to use one set of stats to support your position, that's fine. It doesn't mean the other person is wrong if they don't accept those stats as irrefutable facts.

As far as backing up my venting.....just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are venting. It means they have a different opinion. After all, that's what we all do here, including you, express opinions. This is what folks are tying to politely say.