• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the NCAA Force Power 5 Teams to Stop Scheduling FCS Opponents?

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missed your "my bad". My bad! :) GT is a home and home, and the Jackets are usually a Bowl Team. Win the ACC from time to time too. As good or better than UCLA in any given year. Plus, Georgia plays a 2nd OOC P5 team more times than not like @ ND in 2017 and ND in Athens in 2019. 2018 was an exception to their normal scheduling practices. fyi: I do like and respect the fact that OU is returning the game @ Army. Also, I don't care about either Georgia or OU either way. Just pointed out the hyperbole. :)
UGA and GAtech are in state rivals, they play each other every year just Iowa & ISU, Clemson SCAR, etc...

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb question. There were 69 FCS teams rated higher than the worst FBS team according to Massey.

This is why labels such as P5/G5/FBS/FCS are dumb.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UGA and GAtech are in state rivals, they play each other every year just Iowa & ISU, Clemson SCAR, etc...
That is true. What difference does that make? GT is still a decent P5 OOC opponent not an FCS team. :)

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb question. There were 69 FCS teams rated higher than the worst FBS team according to Massey.

This is why labels such as P5/G5/FBS/FCS are dumb.
Labels may well be dumb in regards to quality of football. But, in terms of revenue, those labels aren't dumb at all.

There sure is a whole lot of revenue difference in what each of those labels generate for a team. Isn't the lowest earning P5 labeled team way ahead of the highest earning G5 labeled team in terms of revenue? There were six G5 teams in the final top 25 but they all earned a hell of a lot less money than Rutgers, Oregon State or Kansas.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How ever you feel about it, the NCAA is never gonna make that rule, individual conferences can, but the NCAA won’t unless every conference agrees. Even then the NCAA has to consider FCS schools too, and they need those games. So it’s a stupid suggestion.

Last edited:

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How ever you feel about it, the NCAA is never gonna make that rule, individual conferences can, but the NCAA won’t unless every conference agrees. So it’s a stupid suggestion.
The only way other conferences will ever get close to mandating it, is if other conferences beef up their OOC schedules so much that it affects the playoffs for those scheduling FCS teams.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way other conferences will ever get close to mandating it, is if other conferences beef up their OOC schedules so much that it affects the playoffs for those scheduling FCS teams.
Even then they don’t need to make a rule. Teams will realize it will hurt their chances for the playoff and not schedule them. I don’t see teams beefing up their schedules to that point anyway.

Reactions: gob

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even then they don’t need to make a rule. Teams will realize it will hurt their chances for the playoff and not schedule them. I don’t see teams beefing up their schedules to that point anyway.
Maybe... If it ever gets to that point (which is admittedly doubtful), only the top teams would probably stop scheduling them. Top teams usually control conferences, so they could force everyone else to go along with it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool article on it.

What say you?

Personally I have always said if a P5 team plays FCS or Division 2 opponents, they shouldn't be eligible for the playoff / championship. They can still play in the post season in a bowl. Just not for the natty.

LINK

All they have to do is stop making them count towards being bowl eligible.

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way P5 schools would stop playing FCS / D2 schools each conference publishes a policy that they will stop scheduling FCS/D2 teams. The Big 10 has stopped scheduling FCS teams. The NCAA has nothing to do with scheduling.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe... If it ever gets to that point (which is admittedly doubtful), only the top teams would probably stop scheduling them. Top teams usually control conferences, so they could force everyone else to go along with it.
I just don’t see the point. Like someone else mentioned, is it really better to schedule San Jose state than eastern washington? Do your thing, let the committee sort it out if it matters at the end of the year.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Team's that play FCS teams shouldn't be allowed in the playoffs."

His words, not mine.

That statement of his in no way translates to this idiotic interpretation.

ND didn't play an FCS opponent, Clemson did. We all saw what happened, but apparently using your logic, ND was better because they played Ball STate and Navy instead of FCS opponents?

That’s in no way what he’s saying. But you can’t be helped so forget it.

Reactions: gob

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That statement of his in no way translates to this idiotic interpretation.

ND didn't play an FCS opponent, Clemson did. We all saw what happened, but apparently using your logic, ND was better because they played Ball STate and Navy instead of FCS opponents?

That’s in no way what he’s saying. But you can’t be helped so forget it.

He said a clearly better team would have been left out of the playoffs completely if it were up to him because they played an FCS opponent. That's fucking stupid.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Labels may well be dumb in regards to quality of football. But, in terms of revenue, those labels aren't dumb at all.

There sure is a whole lot of revenue difference in what each of those labels generate for a team. Isn't the lowest earning P5 labeled team way ahead of the highest earning G5 labeled team in terms of revenue? There were six G5 teams in the final top 25 but they all earned a hell of a lot less money than Rutgers, Oregon State or Kansas.

I was talking in regards to quality of football, obviously not revenue of those classifications. OP isn't talking about revenue anyway. Unless it's in the article(which I didn't read). I just don't see why a team should get credit for playing UTEP, and then be discredited if a team plays North Dakota State. We obviously know who the better team of the two is.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said a clearly better team would have been left out of the playoffs completely if it were up to him because they played an FCS opponent. That's fucking stupid.
Lol no he didn’t. Nowhere in his OP did he remotely state that. You have piss poor reading comprehension.

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would sec East teams become Bowl Eligible if you took away their FCS games.

Also every sec school schedules FCS teams. The sec as a conference would become just a normal conference.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would sec East teams become Bowl Eligible if you took away their FCS games.

Also every sec school schedules FCS teams. The sec as a conference would become just a normal conference.

Nobody in the SEC is Maryland’s bitch, though.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per the norm, everybody is making the wrong argument.

If you want schedules to improve for P5 teams you make a rule
requiring that for a Power 5 team to be Bowl eligible they must have
5 wins vs other Power 5 teams. That's as simple as it gets.

No more would the bottom feeders of the Power 5 leagues get to be
bowl eligible by cheapening their schedules, which includes the Big10
that still has teams playing FCS schools.

If they want to be bowl eligible they would almost certainly have to
schedule an OOC game against a Power 5 team.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m UCFhonors. And I agree with the OP once we get a Playoff.

Scheduling FCS teams or 2 like uf does, will never stop as long as we have an Invitational

#UCFacts