1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the NCAA Force Power 5 Teams to Stop Scheduling FCS Opponents?

Discussion in 'College Football Forum' started by IrishBlooded, Jan 12, 2019.

1. IrishBlooded

IrishBlooded Bewbs or it didn't happen

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Cool article on it.

What say you?

Personally I have always said if a P5 team plays FCS or Division 2 opponents, they shouldn't be eligible for the playoff / championship. They can still play in the post season in a bowl. Just not for the natty.

LINK

• Like Like x 3
  2. Diego Roll Tide

Diego Roll Tide Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I’m ambivalent regarding whether the FCS games should happen. The FCS schools badly need the games for budget purposes, but most of the games are duds.

As for the CFP part, the NCAA has no say in it. If we want to consider certain exclusionary rules, that’s for the CFP Committee to determine. Again, I don’t care either way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hang_On_Sloopy08 Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Get them the fuck off the schedules. No player, coach or fan wants to play or watch that shit.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • I love you, man! I love you, man! x 1
  4. Chewbaccer

Chewbaccer Illustrious Potentate

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 3,796

That's fucking stupid, I'm sorry, but keep pretending playing Ball State is so much better than playing James Madison.

One game against a cupcake should keep teams out of the playoffs?

ND didn't play an FCS opponent, Clemson did. We all saw what happened, but apparently using your logic, ND was better because they played Ball STate and Navy instead of FCS opponents?

If they make a rule where P5 teams can't play FCS teams, that's fine, but if they're allowed, what's the issue? A cupcake is a cupcake.

Yeah, Georgia is gonna play an FCS team next season, they're also gonna play Notre Dame and Georgia Tech in OOC, but if they run the table, keep em out of the playoffs according to OP.

Common sense goes a long ways fellers, use it.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Bullshit x 1
    • Cake Reward x 1
  5. thunderc

thunderc Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 28,941

Pride and dignity should be enough to keep it from happening but it’s not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 2
  6. Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hang_On_Sloopy08 Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

JFC. That wasn’t the OP’s logic, at all. But you in your infinite wisdom put words in his mouth.

• Facepalm Facepalm x 3
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Edisto_Tiger

Edisto_Tiger Member Sporting a Natty

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 54

no

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Panabama71

Panabama71 Same Cat different Ass!

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Yes, and substitute them with PAC teams.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Rainbow Rainbow x 1
  9. thunderc

thunderc Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 28,941

Honestly more important is the number of conference games being played.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. CU#1Fan

CU#1Fan BITE ME

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

No, a lot of the smaller schools athletic departments would not be able to survive without the money they get from the payday of playing a big name school. Pretty sure some states mandate it as well (always heard that SC does but never cared enough to research it to find out for sure - doesn’t change the premise)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. DJ

DJ Generic line for rent here Supporting Member Level 3

Just casually floating around the Universe
    Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 9,523

Yes.

12. DJ

DJ Generic line for rent here Supporting Member Level 3

Just casually floating around the Universe
    Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 9,523

If the alumni don't support the program by going to their home games.....then maybe they shouldn't have a football program.

• Like Like x 5
    • Facepalm Facepalm x 2
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 2
  13. IrishBlooded

IrishBlooded Bewbs or it didn't happen

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I never said that ND was better than Clemson because of opponents.

My over all point is two fold.

1. FCS and D2 schools don’t get the same amount of scholarships, as FBS. And let’s be honest. Their rosters are not nearly as built as even the average FBS school.

2. Not to play PC Card. But at some point it isn’t safe for the kids. By and large it is a different quality of athletes. And the FCS school by statistic has a less than 5% chance at victory. I actually think it is under 2% now. But don’t quote me on that part.

I agree with what others said. If the alumni don’t support the program it shouldn’t be on the kids getting their asses handed to them to just keep the doors open. And again. If a team wants to be in a bowl. They still can. Just can’t be in the playoff. Unless they play equal teams.

• Facepalm Facepalm x 1
  14. Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

It isn’t just about alumni “not caring”. The mandates from Title IX make it necessary for the “money” sports to support several additional sports.

Of course, we always could argue that sports don’t HAVE to be part of universities. But I don’t see college sports message boards as a good vehicle for that sort of message.

WRT my “stake” in it, Alabama will follow whatever is mandated and be fine. I also never wanted UNA to move to D1, do whatever “benefits” could be lost by not playing FBS schools is a nonissue for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. CU#1Fan

CU#1Fan BITE ME

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Really?? Football is generally one of the few sports that they do make any money on but it isn’t enough to support the other sports they are required to have. Title IX.

• Like Like x 2
  16. CU#1Fan

CU#1Fan BITE ME

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Sorry IB but this is a dumb position from you.

17. Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Honestly, I think all some care about is getting “proper entertainment” provided to them.

Personally, I couldn’t give less of a shit whether one of our rent a wins are MAC, SunBelt, FCS, or P5 schmoes like Kansas, Rutgers, or Oregon St.

18. Deep Creek

Deep Creek Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 50

Not so sure about that. While you and I damn sure don't want to watch it, the networks are forking over the cash to televise 'em and some fans are forking over good money to attend 'em.

And "some" of the players and coaches claim they like 'em. Coaches claim the back ups get good experience playing against FCS schools...which is a bunch of crap. Their back ups get better experience playing against their own starters in practice than they do FCS teams (or even G5s like my Miners in some cases). Most of those FCS players weren't good enough to even be offered scholaraships by the FBS teams...especially the power 5.

19. Deep Creek

Deep Creek Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 50

If we are so concerned about philanthropy (the desire to promote the welfare of others, expressed especially by the generous donation of money to good causes), then we should REQUIRE all the P5 teams to pay at least one FCS team every year to come in for a money game. Frickin' teams like USC, Notre Dame, UCLA, etal ain't helping FCS schools in any way. Damn slackers.

Or, if FBS teams are truly concerned about helping FCS teams out, just write 'em a check out of the out of the goodness of their hearts out of the huge payments they receive from their media contracts. That's real philanthropy.

20. 78Cyclones

78Cyclones Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I think they should be allowed, but the records from those games should not count. They should automatically be counted as an exhibition game. So, the Team, Coaching and Player records would be nil. I also think it would be best to allow them in August only, not throughout the season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1