• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the NCAA Force Power 5 Teams to Stop Scheduling FCS Opponents?

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool article on it.

What say you?

Personally I have always said if a P5 team plays FCS or Division 2 opponents, they shouldn't be eligible for the playoff / championship. They can still play in the post season in a bowl. Just not for the natty.

LINK

Well, I don't think a team that doesn't play in a conference should be eligible, but here we are....

CU#1Fan

BITE ME
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what reason? I am cool that you disagree. But at least qualify it. Just doing a drive by 'that's stupid' wasn't really the goal. Just thought with it now being the offseason good time to have threads like this.

Because your position was/is that if you play a FCS school you shouldn’t be allowed in the playoffs and that is a dumb position period. Did it make one bit of difference that Clemson played 1 FCS school or were they still by far the best team in the nation this year? Did their SOS take a hit for it? Of course it did. Doesn’t change that they were the best team, deserving of the playoff, and won NC this year easily. Unless of course you just want to force it on every other team out there because your team doesn’t do it.

EDIT: I would also add that another reason it is dumb is you are also trying to force pretty much any other team besides your team to play 13 P5 opponents to make the playoff under your idea while you only play 12 regardless.

Last edited:

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said that ND was better than Clemson because of opponents.

My over all point is two fold.

1. FCS and D2 schools don’t get the same amount of scholarships, as FBS. And let’s be honest. Their rosters are not nearly as built as even the average FBS school.

2. Not to play PC Card. But at some point it isn’t safe for the kids. By and large it is a different quality of athletes. And the FCS school by statistic has a less than 5% chance at victory. I actually think it is under 2% now. But don’t quote me on that part.

I agree with what others said. If the alumni don’t support the program it shouldn’t be on the kids getting their asses handed to them to just keep the doors open. And again. If a team wants to be in a bowl. They still can. Just can’t be in the playoff. Unless they play equal teams.

Oh, so now it's equal teams...Here's a news flash North Dakota State would've waxed Ball St.

LOL, there is not a safety concern between FCS and FBS, that is some lame ass shit right there. There are plenty of talented athletes at the FCS level, they are not trotting out Corky. If we were talking about D3 you might have a point, but we're not. A guy is playing FCS because he runs a 4.7, not because he's going to get destroyed playing a FBS athlete. Based on your logic Oregon State should quit playing tomorrow due to safety concerns.

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind P5 teams to play ONE fcs a year early in the season as they need the money and P5 teams need a warm up game. But to play 4 fcs teams at home like UGA did this season is just too many, they're padding their record.
You really should try to quit posting like a retarded troll. UGA played ONE fcs team in '18. Middle Tenn St and UMass are FBS. The fcs team was Austin Peay.
In 2019 they play ONE fcs team. The other ooc games are FBS teams.

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really should try to quit posting like a retarded troll. UGA played ONE fcs team in '18. Middle Tenn St and UMass are FBS. The fcs team was Austin Peay.
In 2019 they play ONE fcs team. The other ooc games are FBS teams.
sure

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should not play any fcs teams, even though they are division 1. FCS has 19 less scholly players. The big boys wanted separation so they could get the bulk of the money. The CFA wanted and got a higher payouts from the bowls and split Div. 1 into the two subdivisions. So the big boys shoulsd leave the little boys alone.
Also, it has in the past with that extra loss, have kept fcs teams out of their playoffs. Mostly when it was 16 teams, but it has, even with the 24 team playoffs.

CU#1Fan

BITE ME
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool article on it.

What say you?

Personally I have always said if a P5 team plays FCS or Division 2 opponents, they shouldn't be eligible for the playoff / championship. They can still play in the post season in a bowl. Just not for the natty.

LINK

I’ll also add one last thing. How many FBS teams did ND play before the CFP? Now how many did Clemson play?

Whoops Clemson played 12 as well + their 1 FCS school. Unless you join a conference where you are looking at having to play a 13th game and all 13 of them are FBS, seems the schedules are pretty even already.

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW

FBS teams are not allowed to play Div II teams in football, as been suggested in early posts.
FCS teams can play Div II teams in football. But they shouldn't.

IrishBlooded

Bewbs or it didn't happen
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because your position was/is that if you play a FCS school you shouldn’t be allowed in the playoffs and that is a dumb position period. Did it make one bit of difference that Clemson played 1 FCS school or were they still by far the best team in the nation this year? Did their SOS take a hit for it? Of course it did. Doesn’t change that they were the best team, deserving of the playoff, and won NC this year easily. Unless of course you just want to force it on every other team out there because your team doesn’t do it.

EDIT: I would also add that another reason it is dumb is you are also trying to force pretty much any other team besides your team to play 13 P5 opponents to make the playoff under your idea while you only play 12 regardless.

It isn't about my position as an ND fan at all. Personally I think it should be 12 FBS games, no CCG and an extra round of playoff. And I think ND should be part of the conferences.

Just don't think it is fair for FBS and especially top tier FBS schools, to go against schools that don't get equal rules they do. If a school wants to play FBS level. They should join the FBS. Not count on their inferior by regulation team getting waxed on the field to pay for their athletic department. If they can't afford the program without that happening. They shouldn't have that program.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No but they should take into consideration when a team schedules 2 of them in November.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind P5 teams to play ONE fcs a year early in the season as they need the money and P5 teams need a warm up game. But to play 4 fcs teams at home like UGA did this season is just too many, they're padding their record.
If you want to make a point, at least be accurate. Georgia played 1 FCS Team (Austin Peay). There other 3 games OOC were against FBS Teams: Georgia Tech (ACC), Middle Tennessee (C-USA) and UMass (Independent). GT and MT both Bowled. Georgia did NOT play 4 FCS teams OOC this year. No FBS team does this, EVER. If they did, they would lose their FBS status. They did play all of their OOC games at home though just like OU - who played UCLA (Pac-12), Florida Atlantic (C-USA) and Army (Indpendent). Only Army Bowled. The ONLY difference between UGA and OU is that OU played an extra Conference Game instead of Georgia playing Austin Peay (FCS), and Georgia still played one more OOC game vs. a Bowl team than OU. Not as big of a deal as you make it out to be IMO.

Last edited:

CU#1Fan

BITE ME
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are so concerned about philanthropy (the desire to promote the welfare of others, expressed especially by the generous donation of money to good causes), then we should REQUIRE all the P5 teams to pay at least one FCS team every year to come in for a money game. Frickin' teams like USC, Notre Dame, UCLA, etal ain't helping FCS schools in any way. Damn slackers.

Or, if FBS teams are truly concerned about helping FCS teams out, just write 'em a check out of the out of the goodness of their hearts out of the huge payments they receive from their media contracts. That's real philanthropy.

Could really give a shit less what those schools do. I would be just fine with all the P5 teams being required to play one FCS team. It isn’t going to make one damn bit of difference in who the best team is and per the original argument shouldnt make one bit of damn difference if you get in the playoffs or not.

Also who said it was all about philanthropy? My team gets a nice benefit as well, extra home game every year for the fans, game to work out kinks early in the season, if played later in the season a chance to let backups get more playing time and give the starters a rest.

My team Played 14 FBS teams + 1 FCS team. Kicked all their asses and playing that 1 FCS team didn’t change one damn thing about it. I also don’t give a shit if anyone like the fact that they play 1 FCS team a year or not > CHAMPS

CHAMPIN

SO

DAMN

HARD

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should be allowed, but the records from those games should not count. They should automatically be counted as an exhibition game. So, the Team, Coaching and Player records would be nil. I also think it would be best to allow them in August only, not throughout the season.
Was going to post something like this. You can use it as an exhibition game, if you like, sort of like a preseason game in the NFL. The win and stats don't count, nor does it count towards the redshirt restriction.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t going to make one damn bit of difference in who the best team is and per the original argument shouldnt make one bit of damn difference if you get in the playoffs or not.

Also who said it was all about philanthropy?

I agree it won't make any difference in who the best team is.

Don't mind if teams play FCS or not.

What sticks in my craw is when some retard tries to rationalize the game to the point it is solely played for the benefit of the FCS opponent. "We only schedule it because they need the money." What a crock. Fans of schools that schedule them just need to man up and admit they want an easy home game for practice and/or a break. That is exactly why they schedule FCS teams. No matter what other altruistic reasons they try to hide behind.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are horrible for the actual season ticket holders, right along side playing the worst bottom FBS teams. That doesn't make both equal.

Should they be forced to stop? It's not a big enough issue to go to that level.

lol at those that said they can't stop it though or that it requires some weird vote. At one point a while ago the Pac would only count wins against FCS as a half win. That's literally all it takes. You don't have to ban from playoffs or force some kind of rule, just count them for what they are, non win wins. Placeholders. Glorified scrimmages.

And really, this bullshit about how important it is for those lowly schools to stay afloat? :L jfc. FCS games is a recent phenomenon and wasn't a thing not that long ago. And really we are talking about not wanting to see them against P5 schools more than G5 where it isn't nearly as much of a disparity as it is. Let the G5's that aren't fighting for ranking anyway still earn .5 wins and pay those schools to play them.

Again, would I go to those lengths? No, but it wouldn't be hard to address if they really wanted to and it wouldn't end up the way some of these weak arguments suggest.

RubinRock

Has a Well-Known Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t care to ply fcs teams obviously. But to OPs point, Clemson played the same amount of FBS teams as Notre Dame before the playoffs. Should Notre Dame not be allowed in the playoffs?

LeroyOU12

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to make a point, at least be accurate. Georgia played 1 FCS Team (Austin Peay). There other 3 games OOC were against FBS Teams: Georgia Tech (ACC), Middle Tennessee (C-USA) and UMass (Independent). GT and MT both Bowled. Georgia did NOT play 4 FCS teams OOC this year. No FBS team does this, EVER. If they did, they would lose their FBS status. They did play all of their OOC games at home though just like OU - who played UCLA (Pac-12), Florida Atlantic (C-USA) and Army (Indpendent). Only Army Bowled. The ONLY difference between UGA and OU is that OU played an extra Conference Game instead of Georgia playing Austin Peay (FCS), and Georgia still played one more OOC game vs. a Bowl team than OU. Not as big of a deal as you make it out to be IMO.
if you read my following post you'd see that I said "my bad" as I misread Samford was on UGA 2018 schedule. UCLA was an upper level PAC team (didn't know they're that bad this season) when OU scheduled them and OU will go on the road to play UCLA in 2019 and Army in 2020. imo UGA knew exactly what they were doing when they scheduled their 2018 OCC cupcapkes at home with no future return game. Their 2019 looks much better with ND on it.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you read my following post you'd see that I said "my bad" as I misread Samford was on UGA 2018 schedule. UCLA was an upper level PAC team (didn't know they're that bad this season) when OU scheduled them and OU will go on the road to play UCLA in 2019 and Army in 2020. imo UGA knew exactly what they were doing when they scheduled their 2018 OCC cupcakes at home with no future return game. Their 2019 looks much better with ND on it.
Missed your "my bad". My bad! :) GT is a home and home, and the Jackets are usually a Bowl Team. Win the ACC from time to time too. As good or better than UCLA in any given year. Plus, Georgia plays a 2nd OOC P5 team more times than not like @ ND in 2017 and ND in Athens in 2019. 2018 was an exception to their normal scheduling practices. fyi: I do like and respect the fact that OU is returning the game @ Army. Also, I don't care about either Georgia or OU either way. Just pointed out the hyperbole. :)