• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the NCAA Force Power 5 Teams to Stop Scheduling FCS Opponents?

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per the norm, everybody is making the wrong argument.

If you want schedules to improve for P5 teams you make a rule
requiring that for a Power 5 team to be Bowl eligible they must have
5 wins vs other Power 5 teams. That's as simple as it gets.

No more would the bottom feeders of the Power 5 leagues get to be
bowl eligible by cheapening their schedules, which includes the Big10
that still has teams playing FCS schools.

If they want to be bowl eligible they would almost certainly have to
schedule an OOC game against a Power 5 team.

Most ESP5N Cartel teams are crap.

#UCFacts

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should be allowed, but the records from those games should not count. They should automatically be counted as an exhibition game. So, the Team, Coaching and Player records would be nil. I also think it would be best to allow them in August only, not throughout the season.

What about when Michigan and uf loses to FCS schools? Should those count?

#UCFacts

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about when Michigan and uf loses to FCS schools? Should those count?

#UCFacts
No, they should not. All FBS vs. FCS games should only be allowed as exhibitions. Team, Coaching and Player records should not count for anything (positively or negatively).

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How ever you feel about it, the NCAA is never gonna make that rule, individual conferences can, but the NCAA won’t unless every conference agrees. Even then the NCAA has to consider FCS schools too, and they need those games. So it’s a stupid suggestion.
The NCAA is the schools. So is the CFP. All are self governing bodies created and managed by the institutions. It's true they would have to decide something needed to change, however it isn't black and white. Again, making wins vs FCS worth .5 would be all that was necessary to basically end them for high level teams. It wouldn't have to be an NCAA thing as the NCAA doesn't track or care about wins. It is the conferences, polls, and bowl committees that track wins. The CFP is governed by 10 AD's (one from every conf) plus ND. If the P5's decided they wanted to end these it wouldn't take much to pass something along those lines. The G5 AD's wouldn't likely block it as it really doesn't impact them and ND likely doesn't have any reason to want to keep them going.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally no difference between playing them in September and playing them in November.
Horeshit

Have Alabama play LSU before Auburn and tell me it's not different.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Use a point system to determine who makes the playoff (like we do in WV HS football) and it will take care of itself.

Wins over P5 = 12 points
Wins over G5 = 9 points
Wins over FCS= 6 points

You get a bonus point for every win your defeated opponent gets over a P5 opponent.

You can still schedule all the FCS ya like but... you aint going to the playoff.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horeshit

And if everybody had to play two tough teams like LSU and Auburn back to back at the end of the season, it might mean something different too. Some do and some don't. I cannot figure out why an OU fan cares so much about when Alabama plays their opponents? Do you get upset with the other teams playing patty-cakes to open the season - when the Tide challenges themselves with a P5 opponent out of the gate? I don't think any Alabama fans really care about when OU (or any other team) plays their various opponents. Just my onion. :)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FCS teams need the money, helps them

FCS players get to play games against teams they would never get to

I like when Jacksonville State plays an FBS team, otherwise I don't watch.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely!

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said a clearly better team would have been left out of the playoffs completely if it were up to him because they played an FCS opponent. That's fucking stupid.
WELL --- if SOS is part of the criteria then some sort of penalty should be made for those who play FCS Teams every year... just as if you are not a Conference Champ -- you also failed one of the written criteria and points should be deducted.

But that would be following the written criteria … which is something the Play-Off Committee has pad little attention to.

OldDevilDawg

Idiot Savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind P5 teams to play ONE fcs a year early in the season as they need the money and P5 teams need a warm up game. But to play 4 fcs teams at home like UGA did this season is just too many, they're padding their record.

:pound::L:pound::L:pound::L:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::scratch:

This I agree with, you shouldn’t be able to schedule all your OOC games as FCS. 1 FCS, 1 lower to mid tier FBS, and two P5 should be the standard.

Standard UGA schedule. Here's what is currently scheduled for the future. 2020 Georgia Football Schedule | Future Schedules

Most UGA fans I know were bitching about this past season's OOC being the worst in UGA's history. I'm not sure what happened to cause it to be what it was, but I'm on record saying I didn't like it.

You and I have had the conversation many times over the years that UGA should drop GT and play Clemson every year.
:suds:

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horeshit

There’s a clear advantage to it, but it’s not worth crying about, other conferences can make their schedules more favorable that way, but choose not to.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol no he didn’t. Nowhere in his OP did he remotely state that. You have piss poor reading comprehension.

Might wanna get the OP's dick out of your mouth, because these are his words:

"Personally I have always said if a P5 team plays FCS or Division 2 opponents, they shouldn't be eligible for the playoff / championship."

Clemson played an FCS opponent, OP thinks Clemson didn't belong in the playoffs.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horeshit

Why did yall play Florida Atlantic before UCLA and Army before Baylor?

Zero difference.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be a good change.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might wanna get the OP's dick out of your mouth, because these are his words:

"Personally I have always said if a P5 team plays FCS or Division 2 opponents, they shouldn't be eligible for the playoff / championship."

Clemson played an FCS opponent, OP thinks Clemson didn't belong in the playoffs.

You’ve now entered full retard mode and I’m really concerned it’s getting worse? You’re reading comprehension is not on par with that of a man of average IQ. You’re are really caught up on his phrasing of “shouldn’t be eligible”. You replied:

ND didn't play an FCS opponent, Clemson did. We all saw what happened, but apparently using your logic, ND was better because they played Ball STate and Navy instead of FCS opponent.

How does is criteria of playoff eligibility in any way mean what I have highlighted in bold in your reply?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’ve now entered full retard mode and I’m really concerned it’s getting worse? You’re reading comprehension is not on par with that of a man of average IQ. You’re are really caught up on his phrasing of “shouldn’t be eligible”. You replied:

ND didn't play an FCS opponent, Clemson did. We all saw what happened, but apparently using your logic, ND was better because they played Ball STate and Navy instead of FCS opponent.

How does is criteria of playoff eligibility in any way mean what I have highlighted in bold in your reply?

Oh God damn, you're hung up on semantics.

He clearly thinks ND was more deserving of being in the playoffs than Clemson because Clemson played an FCS opponent and ND didn't.

You can suck him dry all you want, but that's fucking retarded.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh God damn, you're hung up on semantics.

He clearly thinks ND was more deserving of being in the playoffs than Clemson because Clemson played an FCS opponent and ND didn't.

You can suck him dry all you want, but that's fucking retarded.

I don’t disagree that his thoughts are ND was more deserving. But that’s not what you said earlier, you said according to his logic ND was a better team, and that’s not he said or meant.

Reactions: gob

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind P5 teams to play ONE fcs a year early in the season as they need the money and P5 teams need a warm up game. But to play 4 fcs teams at home like UGA did this season is just too many, they're padding their record.

WTF are you talking about?

I don't remember UGA ever playing more than one FCS opponent, and playing 4 would be impossible, and more times than not we play 2 P5 OOC opponents, and every now and then, we play 3.

That's statement of pure ignorance.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WELL --- if SOS is part of the criteria then some sort of penalty should be made for those who play FCS Teams every year... just as if you are not a Conference Champ -- you also failed one of the written criteria and points should be deducted.

But that would be following the written criteria … which is something the Play-Off Committee has pad little attention to.
God point!

So, in this case, Clemson playing an FCS Team and Notre Dame not playing in a Conference Championship Game puts them on EQUAL footing as 12-0 teams vs. FBS Competition. In Clemson's case, their 12 FBS opponents were 9 ACC + 2 SEC + 1 Sun Belt Team.

Even throwing out the FCS game, Clemson still played more P5 Regular Season Games than ND who only played 10 (Ball State and Navy are not P5).

So, automatically disqualifying a team for playing an FCS team is as silly as automatically throwing out a team for not playing in a Conference Championship Game. 1 Game does not over-ride 12 other games.

They both deserved to be int he Playoff, and Clemson proved they were better than Notre Dame on paper and on the field.

:)

P.S. I was rootign for the Irish!