• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should the Jets and Eagles work out a trade around Sam Bradford?

Does this make sense in theory

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets are in a win-now situation with Geno Smith currently their best option going into next year. While the currently don't have the cap space, that can easily be done by moving Muhammad Wilkerson in a trade + any additional picks that occurs in order to accommodate Bradford's cap hit. In the current landscape, they are on the outside looking in right from the get go with the Pats being in their division, but the WC field looks fairly strong in the AFC going into next season and there's not really any particular reason to project the Jets to beat out the 2nd/3rd place AFCW and/or 2nd/3rd place AFCN teams. Sam Bradford would be a big upgrade over Geno while Geno serves as a capable backup that a team would need if it's planning on going with Bradford as their QB. Bradford instantly puts the Jets back in the forefront of the playoffs conversation and Wilkerson allows them to mostly preserve their draft at the same time.

The Eagles are looking at a situation where they have 3 QB's that could theoretically start as of right now on an NFL team. There's no way in hell that stands still- it makes no sense cap wise, after adding in the cap hit for the #2 pick, to not move one of these QB's. The benefits to doing so are obvious, it nets them maybe not draft picks, but a bonafide proven stud in Wilkerson that immediately bolsters the Eagles' defense.

Philadelphia Eagles Salary Cap Calculator | Over The Cap

New York Jets Salary Cap Calculator | Over The Cap

The Eagles would need to have an extension ready for Wilkerson in order for this to work (reduced 1st year cap hit) under their cap, but it is doable. Especially considering their cap expenditure outside of the 1st round in near zero. The other plus for the Eagles is they don't have to rush Goff/Wentz week 1 given Chase Daniel is there to act as a placeholder. Chase Daniel is reasonably cuttable after next year however if Wentz/Goff take firm control of the QB situation in Philly.

Just a couple random thoughts that I had as I watched the Eagles trade up for the #2 pick for what almost certainly is a QB.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The eagles screwed up trading for Bradford in the first place; now they screwed up trading up for Carson Wentz. Long playoff drought forthcoming.

Guess that's why they're the eagles. :heh:

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Bradford Sucks when he plays, and is as unreliable a healthy option, as any QB in the league

With that said, Geno Smith is in his own class of shitty, and Fitz is only a short term fix

So where does that leave us?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Bradford Sucks when he plays, and is as unreliable a healthy option, as any QB in the league

With that said, Geno Smith is in his own class of shitty, and Fitz is only a short term fix

Desperation moves like I outlined in the OP

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets don't want to pay Fitz, who set team records last year. Why would they want to pay more for the human ace bandage?

I could see them having more interest in Daniels than Bradford.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets don't want to pay Fitz, who set team records last year. Why would they want to pay more for the human ace bandage?

Agreed, Daniels is a guy I would be targeting

I like the unknown, over the known shitty QB

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Eagles would be taking up a pretty significant dead-money cap hit from Bradford (while gaining around 1.5M via trade) so I am not sure it'd be so much more than Fitz as some would think. Especially with the guaranteed money SportsHoopla being accelerated on the Eagle's cap.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles traded a load of picks to get the Brown's #2. The Jets would have to offer more than the Eagles gave up to get it. Not in their best interest at all. Then again, your talking about the Jets and they can't think straight when they start thinking about beating the Patriots instead of building a winning team. Believe me, if they give up the same picks the Eagles gave up plus a player or two, they'll be screwed until 2035.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles traded a load of picks to get the Brown's #2. The Jets would have to offer more than the Eagles gave up to get it. Not in their best interest at all. Then again, your talking about the Jets and they can't think straight when they start thinking about beating the Patriots instead of building a winning team. Believe me, if they give up the same picks the Eagles gave up plus a player or two, they'll be screwed until 2035.

That wouldnt be happening

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this thread is referring to the fact that the Jets should be able to get Bradford for pennies on the dollar in trade value because the Eagles went all in on a different QB.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that scenario is they are giving Fletcher Cox a new deal. Not much if sny cap space. If they trade SB it will be for picks.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not really talking draft board's though for the most part; I have suggested a trade centered around Wilkerson and Bradford instead. We're talking about a QB who has already been traded for much less before and the Eagles have every reason in the world to dump one of Bradford and Daniel, and Bradford probably nets more on the trade market.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that scenario is they are giving Fletcher Cox a new deal. Not much if sny cap space. If they trade SB it will be for picks.
If they backload it, I tend to think it's more doable than one might think.

mannyz

The Real Batman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you even watch Bradford last year. He played great after he got his legs. This is a guy coming off his 2nd ACL Surgery. I would have been fine keeping him as our Franchise QB and drafting Zeke.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jets already have their answer at QB riding the pine: Bryce Petty

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Eagles even need Wilkerson? If opinions of Bradford are so low, why would the Jets want him?
Personally, I don't care what the Jets or Eagles try to do. It just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to conger up potential trades because you want to see a team dump a player or another team get someone better than they have.

What kills me is that the Jets had Fitzpatrick in hand and insulted him. If they had just negotiated with the guy, they might have been able to resign him for less than $17M. But now, even if they offered him $15M he'd probably take $10M from Denver or Buffalo.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you even watch Bradford last year. He played great after he got his legs. This is a guy coming off his 2nd ACL Surgery. I would have been fine keeping him as our Franchise QB and drafting Zeke.

Yeah, he's a QB that shows greatness in flashes, but between his health questions and his inconsistencies, I wouldnt be surrendering too much to acquire him....Id roll the dice, but not at a high cost

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes too much sense.

We all know Bradford has some talent...injuries have largely been his demise...PHI obviously does not see him as the long term answer, but the Jets are in perfect position to get a better player at the QB position...Fitz was a stabilizing force but is pretty much maxed out talent wise...he's simply not worth what he wants.

I wouldn't offer a ton for Bradford in terms of picks to take his contract off their hands, but whatever moves I needed to make cap wise to pull this off I would do it.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you traded Bradford and cut Daniel in 2017, the 2017 cap for the Eagles is up to 33.9M. That'd be a reasonable number for the 2nd year cap hits (often the biggest whereas the first year is depressed for cap reasons) for a Cox and Wilkerson extension.