• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Seattle host a Superbowl?

Should Seattle host a Superbowl?

• Yes

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 27 42.2%

• Total voters

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha your funny. Dont be so defensive. Phoenix is much closer to Detroit and Cleveland then it is to Seattle.

Air quality is second worst only to LA, Crime rate, gangs, Property values in the toilet, traffic, urban sprawl, pollution, its 100 plus degrees for 6 months a year, education ratings, etc.

Yet the Super Bowl keeps coming back and people keep moving there. Interesting. Very interesting.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet the Super Bowl keeps coming back and people keep moving there. Interesting. Very interesting.

Im happy the super bowl keeps going back. Nice weather in early Feb, and a west coast spot. But that doesn't mean the cities not a dump. Detroit hosted 8 years ago.....

Also, I dont want to get too political but isn't the government down there trying to quell some of that population boom...if you know what I mean.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im happy the super bowl keeps going back. Nice weather in early Feb, and a west coast spot. But that doesn't mean the cities not a dump. Detroit hosted 8 years ago.....

Also, I dont want to get too political but isn't the government down there trying to quell some of that population boom...if you know what I mean.

Like I said classifying an entire city as a dump is just foolish. We all know places like Detroit and Cleveland have fallen on hard times and some sections of the city are downright scary but I have been to both and not the whole city is like that. That's like seeing a picture of Compton and then calling all of LA a dump.

HighMark

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha! this thread is funny. Its like you have to vote for seattle to get a super bowl or you are an evil person. I am curious if there was a super bowl.... would seattle pump crowd noise through the PA system for both teams, just one, or for the first time since 1997 none at all?

ONEPANTHERSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of years ago Roger Goodell was in Charlotte and was asked by the media when Charlotte might be hosting a SB. He got real evasive with his answers. In the end it came down to issues like weather, stadium (even though the Panthers Stadium is considered one of the nicer in the NFL), hotel accommodations, perceived atmosphere of the uptown/downtown area, etc. And Charlotte did not measure up. Seattle is pretty much in the same boat.

Again though, Minnesota got a SB, so who knows what can happen if you put together a good group to make your case.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking forward to going to SEA & POR, but the SB?

Not sure about that region in Feb. but if NY/NJ can have a SB...sure...It's just a TV sport for me so why not? You guys have a USO golf major coming soon...far far smaller than a SB media, but it will get world travelers, lot of media...good test.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle people have to remember that they are a city of just over 600,000 people and already have issues hosting that many people in the city on a regular basis. We are talking about adding another 100,000-200,000 people to the city. We are talking about it shutting down for the entire week. At least the downtown area. Like I said lived in Seattle and of all the places I have lived the only place worse for traffic was/is LA. Seattle just can't handle that many extra people being added to the city for an entire week. If they just came for the Super Bowl game and that was it I could see it being fine but beyond that we are talking some major issues for the city that they would have to figure out beforehand.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I'd have it on a 3 location rotation (Rose Bowl, NOLA, Miami), but since that's not the case any place should be a viable option. Detroit, Jacksonville and Indy don't seem like great tourist destinations and they hosted so why not Seattle?

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing currently that exempts Seattle from hosting a SB is the seat numbers,i recall when they were talking about the New stadium it was brought up that it would not have enough seating to be in contention under the rules for hosting a SB.

Traffic would be a problem but not as bad as people think it would be,SeaFair this area easily has over 100k visitors during that time,July 4th is another big one for Seattle with tons of people coming from all over.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle people have to remember that they are a city of just over 600,000 people and already have issues hosting that many people in the city on a regular basis. We are talking about adding another 100,000-200,000 people to the city. We are talking about it shutting down for the entire week. At least the downtown area. Like I said lived in Seattle and of all the places I have lived the only place worse for traffic was/is LA. Seattle just can't handle that many extra people being added to the city for an entire week. If they just came for the Super Bowl game and that was it I could see it being fine but beyond that we are talking some major issues for the city that they would have to figure out beforehand.

Never been to SEA, but they can't have worst traffic than here...I was here in ATL for the SB and you you knew it was going on, especially in the downtown area, but getting hit with the ice storm kept a lot of people inside, it wasn't the traffic nightmare I was expecting...the Olympics was bad overall but it didn't shut us down like many were thinking it might.

HighMark

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They used to have the super bowl in Pasadena every few years trying to get over a hundred thousand people to attend. 82,000 in attendance for Seattle's super bowl. Pretty hard to imagine they would be ok with only 65,000 seats.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is odd that a Seattle person is calling Phx a dump and suggesting they have a Super Bowl there instead of AZ for the 3rd time in recent memory. Obviously, people with way more influence strongly disagree.

More people move to Phx and AZ than anywhere over the past few years. Odd so many people are flocking to a "dump". It's quite similar to Detroit, the city PHx was compared to...massive influx of people moving there too.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see that as a reason to deny Seattle hosting a Super Bowl.
Roughly 700,000 were in attendance for the Super Bowl team parade. That was from 11am-4pm for the parade and closing event at The Clink. So, 4 times as many people crammed into a 5 hour window.
Our rush hour blows like most large cities. I am in Phoenix often and feel free to get on I10 about 2:30 any weekday afternoon. It sux as bad as Seattle traffic.
IIRC, Seattle has portable seating for an extra 5000 seats, but they don't use those on game day and I have no idea why not.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is odd that a Seattle person is calling Phx a dump and suggesting they have a Super Bowl there instead of AZ for the 3rd time in recent memory. Obviously, people with way more influence strongly disagree.

More people move to Phx and AZ than anywhere over the past few years. Odd so many people are flocking to a "dump". It's quite similar to Detroit, the city PHx was compared to...massive influx of people moving there too.

Relax, one person's opinion has generated a few replies.
I like Phx a lot and have a second home in Avondale.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha! this thread is funny. Its like you have to vote for seattle to get a super bowl or you are an evil person. I am curious if there was a super bowl.... would seattle pump crowd noise through the PA system for both teams, just one, or for the first time since 1997 none at all?

I suppose you, John Fox, and Peyton all think we pumped sound into MetLife Stadium. How else could such a small contingent of fans make that much noise?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted no. February in Seattle isn't a cake walk. While it may be rare to have any substantial snow that time of year, it's also very rare to have stable weather.

The infrastructure would be fine. While traffic the week leading into the game would be bad around downtown during the work week it wouldn't be paralyzed. And now that they have light rail on top of one of the better regional bus systems they would have no problem getting people in and out of the game.

I'm just not sure if everyone really wants to see a windy/rainy SB and there is a good chance that could happen. Not just the game on the field, but most of the stands are in the elements and those corporate dickwads might not be able to handle what we all take for granted up here as game day Seattle style.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The average temperature of Seattle is 10 degrees warmer in the month of February than NYC. 70% of the seating at the stadium is covered. We have the mass transit, hotel rooms, restaurants, and event space to cover a superbowl . All of that infrastructure is closer to the stadium then the Giants/Jets facility. The majority of those who go to superbowls don't take the week off and fly to the host city and park themselves there for a week. They fly in and stay for about 2-3 days.

I don't see what the problem is.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most visitors would stay either downtown or by the airport, and spend most of their time in the downtown area. There are several major roadways and a light rail from the airport to SODO. It would have an effect on traffic, but I dont think it would be that dramatic if it was planned well.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They should get a chance to host a Super Bowl, but they certainly shouldn't host another NFC Championship game. :nod: