• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should fighting be eliminated?

Should NHL eliminate fighting?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • No, but give the players game misconduct for fighting

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no. Violent hits and more stick work will come into play if you eliminate fighting.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that the players can regulate each other with the threats of fighting, but I fear that we are only a couple of years away from it being banished. All of the sports are fearful of lawsuits.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey!!!!

Did anybody watch last nights fight between ORR and PARROS? as we all know by now Parros suffered a concussion. Now the fighting debate has a new twist, the second fight of the night between the 2 combatants, neither landed a punch, it wasnt even a fight. Orr threw a punch first and missed while falling down but in the process he pulled Parros down with him. During the pulldown by ORR, Parros threw a puch that never landed only for him to continue his fall face first on the ice.

SO with that being said is there really a fighting issue go back at the tape if you can

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably can't be eliminated entirely, but then the NFL gets by with no fighting.

It CAN be reduced, however. And I for one would like to see a lot less cheering when a fight does break out.

Maybe a rule making teams sit players with a certain ratio of penalty minute to on/ice time would help.

As to what that ratio should be I'm open to suggestions.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tradition is lacking in hockey.....the new hybrid icing is a joke, fighting is at its best for safety, last nights falldown doesnt even count because punches were not thrown. You start regulating the game at a high level the fans will not turn out/on starting with oldschool traditionalist.....by the way realignment doesnt make any sense either specifically geographically.:lame:

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anybody watch last nights fight ;

SO with that being said is there really a fighting issue go back at the tape if you can

It was on the front page of TSN, and any time there is an injury after a fight, certain GM's want it gone. Would Parros be injured if they didn't fight? No. Would he still be in the league, if fighting was banished? Probably not.

Fighting is part of the game, and should never be eliminated. IMHO

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

And Pete how we are discussing the topic at this very moment hockey media's approach is always an idealistic moral code. The game could lose popularity by its own media sources and Hockey needs popularity not a reversal.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tradition is lacking in hockey.....the new hybrid icing is a joke, fighting is at its best for safety, last nights falldown doesnt even count because punches were not thrown. You start regulating the game at a high level the fans will not turn out/on starting with oldschool traditionalist.....by the way realignment doesnt make any sense either specifically geographically.:lame:

You might lose some fans who are more into boxing than hockey, but that would be made up for by gaining fans currently repelled by fights.

As I said earlier, the NFL gets by without fights and it's game is at least as rough as hockey.

Why couldn't the NHL do what the NFL does?

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brah i dont know controlled violent sports are on the rise hopefully there wont be any decline by any defintion:drink:

Violent sports will always have some fans, like it or lump it. That doesn't mean those of us who
don't need to pretend otherwise.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt want you to pretend otherwise, this is the very reason we are on SportsHoopla....I just dont want the league to over reulate the game, they already change it way too much in my opinion.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would still be a hockey fan and an avid Kings fan if the league got rid of fighting but that doesn't mean I want to see them do it. We get enough over-regulation of our lives by our Government. We don't need our sports to get over-regulated by their respective governing bodies. Baseball has all but done away with the brush-back pitch and football has all but done away with hard hits by the defense on wide receivers and quarterbacks. They keep messing with hockey and pretty soon basketball will be our most physical sport.

And to add an opinion the new helmet rule for fights is just plain stupid.

Ox

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

And Pete how we are discussing the topic at this very moment hockey media's approach is always an idealistic moral code. The game could lose popularity by its own media sources and Hockey needs popularity not a reversal.

That is kinda why I made this a poll. Some leagues couldn't care less about what the fans say or would like to see. Hybrid icing??? Players were the only ones who voted, but the refs aren't be able to make every call on an imaginary line.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont mind the fighting but it is kind of silly when defenseman A boards forward B means Goon A has to fight goon B as soon as the ref drops the puck.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt want you to pretend otherwise, this is the very reason we are on SportsHoopla....I just dont want the league to over reulate the game, they already change it way too much in my opinion.

How about some stricter enforcement of the rules already in place? Possibly by way of more game misconduct penalties,
not necessarily for fighting but possibly the 3d penalty by a player in a game? Or for a particularly fierce boarding foul? Those can be NASTY!

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is fighting dangerous? Yes. Can it end a career? Yes. That being said, fighting is usually done by enforcers. How many fights has Gretzky or Crosby been in? 1 or 2 if that. The idea behind it is to protect a player from the other team. Or to send a message and sometimes to get your team going.
If the NHL wants to eliminate it, they simply have to shorten the rosters to 21 players. This way the teams have to decide if they really need a fighter.
On the the other hand, if it wasn't for Orr, I would have no points in the FHL.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember who said it but a quote from a former player put it best. And it went something like this. Hockey is a game where players are out there on a sheet of ice with razor blades on their feet and long sticks in their hands playing a very physical game. If you eliminate fighting someone may get killed with a stick or worse. Fighting keeps the game honest and it probably saves lives.

No one in the NFL has sticks or wears razor blades. Look at baseball. They have bench brawls and maybe one or two players get thrown out of the game and they only have one guy at a time out there with a bat.

Fighting doesn't cause injuries. Bad fighters get themselves hurt. I never want to see anyone injured but this wasn't the 1st time Parros basically hurt himself in a fight.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,928.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way should the NHL eliminate fighting. that is about the only thing hockey has goin for it