• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Carter Go

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we can have a discussion among real fans, should Carter go?

He has 1 year left on his current contract and will be in line for some bigger bucks based upon regular season goals. He is also the only part that has real value that can be traded. Also, I don't think he can or will transition into a wing. Briere and Giroux also are much better at center.

I say go afer Mason or Ellis and if we get either, then trade Carter for for a scoring wing or defense help, prospects and picks. We would also free up cap space to add either a wing or defense that we don't get for him.

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we can have a discussion among real fans, should Carter go?

He has 1 year left on his current contract and will be in line for some bigger bucks based upon regular season goals. He is also the only part that has real value that can be traded. Also, I don't think he can or will transition into a wing. Briere and Giroux also are much better at center.

I say go afer Mason or Ellis and if we get either, then trade Carter for for a scoring wing or defense help, prospects and picks. We would also free up cap space to add either a wing or defense that we don't get for him.

I say we trade him for top goalie prospects only!!! If we don't then see what kind of season he is having and then use him as trade bait at the deadline for some one who will make our playoff run deeper and stronger, I like Carter but he just refuses to play solid defense and it ends up costing us! If he could get stronger on that side of the puck, then I say keep him. Someone should tell him to pick up a weight or two. What, there's no HGH in Philly?

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Carter's defense, I had my left foot broke in December, had it operated on in March and it's half way through June and the damn thing still isn't 90%.

Of course, I'm not a pro athlete with vast amounts of physicians to evaluate my every move, but I have had excellent care.

Point being --- there's no way Carter was game ready when he came back, so we shouldn't remember the last Jeff Carter we seen, but the one who was (mostly) dominate up the middle for most of the season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's fresh in Philadelphia's minds that he was mostly ineffective in the playoffs and couldn't score the go-ahead goal in Game 6, so I understand where everyone's coming from.

What I learned in the playoffs is that Briere was extremely effective offensively at center and needs to play there instead of wing. And Giroux does things with the puck that I've never seen done by anyone on the Flyers (except the occasional flash by a healthy-footed Foppa.) If you have those two guys along with Richards and Betts up the middle, then it's possible to move Carter in the right deal.

To get quality, you need to give up quality (unless you're giving up Matt Ellison, but I digress. . . .) Jeff Carter is a proven 40-goal scorer with a manageable contract. No one else on the team is in that sweet spot (combination of skill, proven commodity, decent contract, NTC/NMC considerations.) If his salary comes off the books and we get a stud goaltender and Top 6 winger as part of the trade/free cap space, I wouldn't be sad if Homer pulled the trigger.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only goalie I wouldve traded Carter for was Halak, and obviously that ship has sailed. I dont see very many impressive goalies sitting around waiting to be traded unless we can some how rob the Flames as they've been giving up great players for next to nothing lately.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we trade him for top goalie prospects only!!! If we don't then see what kind of season he is having and then use him as trade bait at the deadline for some one who will make our playoff run deeper and stronger, I like Carter but he just refuses to play solid defense and it ends up costing us! If he could get stronger on that side of the puck, then I say keep him. Someone should tell him to pick up a weight or two. What, there's no HGH in Philly?

That's what I'm saying as well. I'd really like to explore the possibility of a Bernier/Quick deal.

Due to their talent, LA is not going to be able to keep them both, so if we are aggressive this week -- we can possible make a draft day deal on Friday.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome soulxflare! Glad to see you over here with the rest of us man!! :)

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only goalie I wouldve traded Carter for was Halak, and obviously that ship has sailed. I dont see very many impressive goalies sitting around waiting to be traded unless we can some how rob the Flames as they've been giving up great players for next to nothing lately.

I can't believe Montreal only got two prospects for Halak. This is a goalie coming off a dominant regular season and postseason plus he's only 25 years old. I'm sure the Flyers would have given up just as much if not more but maybe Montreal didn't want to have to deal Halak to another eastern conference team. He sounds a little bitter and I think the Blues got some serious bang for their buck in that trade.

It also seems to me that Carter is worth a lot more than two prospects, even if he hasn't yet performed in the playoffs. I think that is inevitable. He's basically been injured throughout two of the three postseason runs that he's been a part of since he became a serious goal scorer. If we trade Carter away now, he's probably going to end up being one of those players like Patrick Sharp that we wish we never got rid of.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't believe Montreal only got two prospects for Halak. This is a goalie coming off a dominant regular season and postseason plus he's only 25 years old. I'm sure the Flyers would have given up just as much if not more but maybe Montreal didn't want to have to deal Halak to another eastern conference team. He sounds a little bitter and I think the Blues got some serious bang for their buck in that trade.

It also seems to me that Carter is worth a lot more than two prospects, even if he hasn't yet performed in the playoffs. I think that is inevitable. He's basically been injured throughout two of the three postseason runs that he's been a part of since he became a serious goal scorer. If we trade Carter away now, he's probably going to end up being one of those players like Patrick Sharp that we wish we never got rid of.

I agree, if we give up Carter its going to be a mistake unless its for another top 10 player or elite goalie, and it better be to someone in the west because I cant even begin to express how much I hate players coming back to screw us over.

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking pretty hard about this. LA has the cap space to improve their team greatly in free agency, and they have the farm to improve it via a trade. If they had their choice, it'd clearly be through free agency as they would keep their prospects and still get a star player. Why would LA give up Bernier for Carter when they can keep Bernier and sign a better player in Kovalchuk? For the Flyers, you almost have to root against LA signing their star goalscorer to play alongside Kopitar. You have to hope Kovalchuk goes to Russia and Marleau signs a ridiculous overpriced contract to play for the Rangers. (Nobody really thinks he can repeat 44 goals without Thornton and Heatley on the ice with him, do they?) If that happens, and LA still wants their star winger or star center, then I can see a trade happening. So I guess I'm saying, if they do trade Carter, I wouldn't be shocked if it came during the summer after free agency, maybe even as late as the Kessel trade last year in mid-September. I think Carter is gone before the season, but I think he stays a Flyers longer than we'd expect.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm gunna be honest i dont think carter is going anywhere.. i'm torn myself, but i dont think the flyers brass is even considering it.. obviously fielding offers, but i dont think they're actively shopping him.. homer is comitted to carter and richards and it being their team, i dont think he's gunna change that..

even tho IMO carter makes the most sense.. we dont have enough wingers to move gagne or hartnell.. and we have an abundance of centers and carter is the only one thats moveable (briere has a big contract and NTC, richards is the captain and has a long contract, giroux is, or should be, the most untouchable, and betts isn't really the trade bait we're talking about)

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm gunna be honest i dont think carter is going anywhere.. i'm torn myself, but i dont think the flyers brass is even considering it.. obviously fielding offers, but i dont think they're actively shopping him.. homer is comitted to carter and richards and it being their team, i dont think he's gunna change that..

even tho IMO carter makes the most sense.. we dont have enough wingers to move gagne or hartnell.. and we have an abundance of centers and carter is the only one thats moveable (briere has a big contract and NTC, richards is the captain and has a long contract, giroux is, or should be, the most untouchable, and betts isn't really the trade bait we're talking about)

Would you really want to trade Gags? he played well this year once he was healthy, but even a healthy Gags wont bring what Carter will. I could live with or with out Carter I just hope we get a good return if he is unloaded.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yea i think it makes more sense to trade carter. gagne produces better on the wing, gagne has a no trade clause, gagne plays defense, and carter will get more in return.

as for la going after kovalchuk or whatever. how close to the cap are they and do they have have enough money to even get close to the cap?

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is Kovalchuk definitely testing FA? I havent heard anything from the Devils or Kovalchuk. That would be a heavy blow for them if he walks though.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally believe we will be getting Bernier before the draft, I am hoping Brown is included but I'm thinking we may be sending some prospects along with Carter(Legein or Marshall) to LA on the low end maybe Coburn on the high to complete the trade.

Personally I love this trade.... Now if we could only steal Bobby Ryan from the Ducks :P

*Reposted here because it seems relevent to this conversation.