• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman says what we all think. Kipers an idiot

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously we can bash those "Experts" all day long for making stupid picks for our respective teams. It still comes down to every team saw Sherman as a 5th round pick or later otherwise they would have picked him so just because he is playing like a 1st round talent now doesn't mean any team saw him that way otherwise they would have picked him then as well. So it isn't just the so called experts that missed his talent or others.

This is exactly why the draft is such an imperfect science. Some prospects work out while others hardly ever see the field. And this happens all over the board for every team. Hindsight is 20/20. I don't think the NFL Front Offices pay that much attention to Kiper and McShay and what they say. Now given I am sure they look at them as any good FO would look at every piece of information out there available but in the end they usually listen to their scouts and their own eyes in what they see in a certain player.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kipper and mcshay are a complete joke. they change their draft board every day so they have something to talk about on espn.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously we can bash those "Experts" all day long for making stupid picks for our respective teams. It still comes down to every team saw Sherman as a 5th round pick or later otherwise they would have picked him so just because he is playing like a 1st round talent now doesn't mean any team saw him that way otherwise they would have picked him then as well. So it isn't just the so called experts that missed his talent or others.

This is exactly why the draft is such an imperfect science. Some prospects work out while others hardly ever see the field. And this happens all over the board for every team. Hindsight is 20/20. I don't think the NFL Front Offices pay that much attention to Kiper and McShay and what they say. Now given I am sure they look at them as any good FO would look at every piece of information out there available but in the end they usually listen to their scouts and their own eyes in what they see in a certain player.

No team should listen to these guys even à little bit. Every team is différent. With specific needs and systems that nobody, unless they are scouting for that team really understands.

I dont mind these guys but they create these draft boards as if they are some type of 32 team consensus and if any team drafts otherwise they give them à "bad grade". The whole thing is à joke and I dont mind people calling them idiots. They basically make à living calling people idiots when they dont follow their board.

And I think Shermans main point as to why they are dumb is not because of projections of slots where these players are drafted but their actual évaluations of players; " this guy cant be an impact corner because hes too big, this guy cant be à starting QB because hes too small" type of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team front office pays any attention to any of the so-called draft experts in the media. They have their own scouts who use their own criteria to evaluate talent. Period. None of them are perfect either. I'm sure many teams look back and wish they had Sherman or even Wilson higher up on their boards. Many wish they didn't take their first round busts either. There is no slam dunk in taking talent from the college level. There is always a chance of being way off in your scouting.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team front office pays any attention to any of the so-called draft experts in the media. They have their own scouts who use their own criteria to evaluate talent. Period. None of them are perfect either. I'm sure many teams look back and wish they had Sherman or even Wilson higher up on their boards. Many wish they didn't take their first round busts either. There is no slam dunk in taking talent from the college level. There is always a chance of being way off in your scouting.

Im sure the league is full of guys that are riding the pine, yet are better than the starters, but dont get the nod because of draft value, physical measurables or contract size. Its not just about drafting à player, but about developing him and having confidence in him and your organization to get the most out of him. Im sure if Seattle would have not drafted Wilson, someone would have shortly, but would they have started him?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Wilson entered into a unique position on this team with a unique coaching staff that was willing to take a big risk and go with him over the not-so-proven, but veteran none-the-less alternative.

Still, that doesn't have anything to do with Kiper being an idiot or teams paying any attention to him. All of these draft gurus in the media are just there to keep interest by fans over the dead season. They create a buzz whether they are right or not so they serve their purpose. To take any of it too seriously is to miss their point to begin with.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, Wilson entered into a unique position on this team with a unique coaching staff that was willing to take a big risk and go with him over the not-so-proven, but veteran none-the-less alternative.

Still, that doesn't have anything to do with Kiper being an idiot or teams paying any attention to him. All of these draft gurus in the media are just there to keep interest by fans over the dead season. They create a buzz whether they are right or not so they serve their purpose. To take any of it too seriously is to miss their point to begin with.

I think Wilson would be starting for at least half the teams in the league right now. It was obvious his Rookie year that he was the best quarterback of the bunch in Seattle. Now I do understand the media was playing up the whole "Well they paid Flynn starter money to come here and start so you can't have him just sit on the bench" but anybody with two good eyes could see he was being outplayed by Wilson. Now I will give it to Seattle for going ahead with a rookie but my guess is every team that has a mediocre quarterback or worse would be starting Wilson at least by his 2nd year. He might have sat on the bench for some teams his first year but I don't think they could have kept him on their long when his skills are pretty evident.

Now as to FO listening to some of these guys. I can guarantee you that they at least look at them. Now whether they laugh at them or not is up for debate but some of these guys that do these draft boards are former scouts who actually know what they are talking about and looking at that teams would respect and look at their evaluation and put it as part of the full equation. Now my guess is if the analyst on ESPN, NFL Network, or wherever else disagrees with an assessment of a player compared to that of a scout for a certain team that team will side with the Scout. Now if the Scout and analyst though agree on a prospect that would help to validate that decision to raise that player a little higher on a draft board. Now I will say though yes any media person when it comes to the draft has to be taken with a grain of salt as some of them are actually paid to hype up certain players.

There are some out there though that I trust what they have to say about players that are drafted as they are most of the time right. Not all the time as obviously nobody is or they would be hired by an NFL team right now and would never miss on a prospect.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...I just lost all respect for Sherman (not that I had much to begin with). He should just concentrate on himself and not worry about insulting others.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said Wilson wouldn't be playing by now anywhere else. I just said no to other teams starting him right out of the draft. By now I'm sure he would have been starting on many teams, but when they had what they thought was a serviceable guy ahead of him how many would have started him day 1? Not many. It was quite a risk by Carroll and it paid off, but had Wilson been a bust it would have really killed the career of JS and PC or at least put serious dings in them.

As for FO and tv scouts, all I can say is those who have been asked about them say 100% of the time they don't pay any attention to them. The only one that I can site off the top of my head is Holmgren who is now a member of our local sports radio team up here and he has been questioned extensively about the draft process and he claims none of his staff paid even the slightest attention to any outside resource. They did 100% of their player evaluations in house and didn't want undue influence from outside sources. I have seen a few others make similar comments. I'll go ahead and listen to that.

:suds:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sherman:

"If you listen to the idiots like Mel Kiper and Todd McShay and people like that, you miss a lot for good players," Sherman said. "We're just being honest."
"
What a complete and utter jackass Sherman is. Kiper & McShay are just about as accurate in projecting where players are going to go as anyone out there. It wasn't media personalities that let good players slip; it was NFL GMs who are making millions of dollars to do the same stuff fans would do for free. And even they get it wrong a lot because the NFL draft is not a science; there are a million different uncontrollable variables.

This guy's an idiot because he didn't have Victor Cruz, Cameron Wake & Alfred Morris in the first or even second round. Bla bla bla. Keep talking Sherman. You make yourself look like more of an asshole every time your mouth opens.

P.S. He's calling other people idiots & uses grammar like "a lot for good players."

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman:

"If you listen to the idiots like Mel Kiper and Todd McShay and people like that, you miss a lot for good players," Sherman said. "We're just being honest."
"
What a complete and utter jackass Sherman is. Kiper & McShay are just about as accurate in projecting where players are going to go as anyone out there. It wasn't media personalities that let good players slip; it was NFL GMs who are making millions of dollars to do the same stuff fans would do for free. And even they get it wrong a lot because the NFL draft is not a science; there are a million different uncontrollable variables.

This guy's an idiot because he didn't have Victor Cruz, Cameron Wake & Alfred Morris in the first or even second round. Bla bla bla. Keep talking Sherman. You make yourself look like more of an asshole every time your mouth opens.

P.S. He's calling other people idiots & uses grammar like "a lot for good players."

I saw that too. :L

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Kiper or McShay make their mock drafts with team needs in mind. They're evaluations aren't the evaluations that all 32 teams have, I'm sure there are some NFL execs that completely disagree with both of those guys.

I tend to not listen to them, because their mocks are just external white noise that go along with the draft.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Kiper or McShay make their mock drafts with team needs in mind. They're evaluations aren't the evaluations that all 32 teams have, I'm sure there are some NFL execs that completely disagree with both of those guys.

I tend to not listen to them, because their mocks are just external white noise that go along with the draft.

They base the draft based on their perceived needs for teams, using their player-positional rankings.

The whole thing is a joke, but I cant say I'm not a little bit jealous of their job.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind listening to these guys and like others already noted, teams don't draft based on their recommendations. Sherman would have been correct if he had said Steven A Smith and Skip Bayless are idiots

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman's always calling someone an idiot. But it's pretty clear that PC knows a hell of a lot more about evaluating talent on the defensive side of the ball than Kiper does. Even Irvin's turning into a solid OLB. He wasn't the pressure guy that everyone hoped he'd be but he's a solid all around defender at this point.

And the Seahawks got extremely lucky as far as Wilson goes. The only thing with him was the height which hadn't really affected him to that point. You'd think some team would have rolled the dice with a 2nd rounder to see if he could play through it, especially since Wisconsin's o-line he was behind was bigger than most NFL lines.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They base the draft based on their perceived needs for teams, using their player-positional rankings.

The whole thing is a joke

How do you expect 'em to do it?

Who's more historically accurate than Mel as far as projecting where players will be drafted? Not many is the answer. I think it's all insider information because they know people in the NFL, so I'm not saying he's a genius. But he still does a pretty good job considering nobody has a crystal ball. Even Ozzie Newsome gets it wrong sometimes.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, I'm obviously in the minority but I respect Kiper and think he's usually pretty much spot-on as a talent evaluator. He sometimes loses me on his opinions about team needs though.

Mayock, on the other hand, is indeed an idiot. I'll never forget the team during the draft when Rich Eisen asks Myock what he thought of the DE that the Browns just drafted. The camera goes to him with a complete deer-in-the-headlights look before he sheepishly admits "I've never heard of this guy." I was done with him right then.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
McShay gained some ground on Kipe with the Jarvis Jones evaluation last offseason.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you expect 'em to do it?

Who's more historically accurate than Mel as far as projecting where players will be drafted? Not many is the answer. I think it's all insider information because they know people in the NFL, so I'm not saying he's a genius. But he still does a pretty good job considering nobody has a crystal ball. Even Ozzie Newsome gets it wrong sometimes.

I dont dont expect anything different. Like I said, they got a great gig. Doesn't mean it's not a joke of an industry though.