• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shea Patterson-Harbaugh

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what kind of coach he would be? I can't really think of a top tier NFL player that successfully made the transition to coaching in the past 15-20 years. I imagine there is someone I'm not thinking of though.

I was just joking when I mentioned him. It's not very often that all time great players make good coaches.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just joking when I mentioned him. It's not very often that all time great players make good coaches.

I think part of the reason they often don't do well is that they don't have to succeed. They have already made a name for themselves, and don't need the money. Guys like Saban, Dabo, Meyers, etc. all got into the game as guys who wanted to make a real national name for themselves. They had a hunger to achieve that most elite NFL players have likely already accomplished outside of coaching. At least, that would be what I would think.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think part of the reason they often don't do well is that they don't have to succeed. They have already made a name for themselves, and don't need the money. Guys like Saban, Dabo, Meyers, etc. all got into the game as guys who wanted to make a real national name for themselves. They had a hunger to achieve that most elite NFL players have likely already accomplished outside of coaching. At least, that would be what I would think.

That could very well be it. Another thing that could be a factor is those all time greats are wired differently. They see the game in a way others can't. I can't think of a single all time great NFLer that has a successful coaching career. There has to be a couple I would think. But drawing a blank as to who that could be.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes the best coaching moves are forced. Guys starting because the guy ahead of them gets injured, and they turn out to be a star?

For instance, Tua probably doesn't see the field at Alabama until after this year but Hurts gets injured, and then benched behind him. OSU let a future Heisman winner sit on the bench for 3 years and then transfer to another school. Sometimes you can't see how good a kid is going to be until they actually get into the game. And Patterson was never bad enough to pull him for someone else.

Ummm....I get your point, but Jalen wasn't injured, unless you consider playing bad as an injury. The only time Hurts was injured at Alabama was after Tua was named the starter.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember exactly what I bet, but yes I guaranteed Tennessee would kick West Virginia in the ****.
I WAS WRONG, but pretty sure I admitted it and honored anything I bet you at the time......

Tennessee UNDER 6.5 Wins This Season

Game Thread: - Tennessee vs. West Virginia Sept. 1 2018 CBS 3:30(2:30 cst)

Who do you want to lose in week one?

In the end.....

Game Thread: - Tennessee vs. West Virginia Sept. 1 2018 CBS 3:30(2:30 cst)

As for Matt Luke throwing the ball around....... No one will really know, but at the same time.... No one thought Ole Miss could really beat Alabama during their run with Nick Saban.

Ole Miss did it twice, during the regular season.

The only other coaches to beat Nick Saban twice are Mark Richt, Urban Meyer, and Hugh Freeze.

Ohh you definitely did. No argument there. It was just funny at the time how confident you were.

I have no doubts Patterson stays if freeze doesn’t get the ax. The more puzzling thing is why he’d pick Michigan over somewhere else given harbaugh doesn’t exactly air it out.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t seem to read. That wasn’t an excuse it was me saying I’m curious to see a Harbaugh recruit at QB. For all I know we could be worse with a QB he’s had to develop, the point being we haven’t seen one yet.

Perhaps you should articulate better. Anyone that knows how to read can read that as an excuse.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can’t seem to read. That wasn’t an excuse it was me saying I’m curious to see a Harbaugh recruit at QB. For all I know we could be worse with a QB he’s had to develop, the point being we haven’t seen one yet.
Unless you are arguing that Harbaugh is intentionally not playing the best players he can, then obviously the next quarterback will be a step back, unless he is skipping Milton and McAffrey and going straight to a redshirt freshman.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps you should articulate better. Anyone that knows how to read can read that as an excuse.
Nope. I think it’s an indicator of if Harbaugh will truly improve or not. We need to see one of his QBs. If he looks just like Patterson. Then I’m going to lose some hope in the hat Harbaugh can do here.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. I think it’s an indicator of if Harbaugh will truly improve or not. We need to see one of his QBs. If he looks just like Patterson. Then I’m going to lose some hope in the hat Harbaugh can do here.

He’s been there for 5 years now. Having some arbitrary excuse for why Michigan has been mediocre is not a good look. Just saying......

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s been there for 5 years now. Having some arbitrary excuse for why Michigan has been mediocre is not a good look. Just saying......
Again, it's not an excuse. We have been good, not great. I'm wondering if that changes, better or worse, with a Harbaugh recruit vs. a transfer.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it's not an excuse. We have been good, not great. I'm wondering if that changes, better or worse, with a Harbaugh recruit vs. a transfer.

Harbaugh is paid to be great. And all we have heard is how great Michigan will be when Harbaugh arrived.

You would think after 5 seasons that it would have happened with all the hype that Harbaugh brings.

I think 10-3 is Harbaugh's normal and he will have a great season season in there where he does beat THE but I do not expect Harbaugh to have a 0-5 run on THE.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why is Harbaugh intentionally not playing the best players?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No matter how ya phrase it it’s an excuse. He’s been there 5 seasons. It’s not like he just go there. You grasping to this arbitrary term as if it matters.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why is Harbaugh intentionally not playing the best players?
I think that's complicated. I don't think the players who he's played were necessarily bad. And it's curious why he's felt the need to get transfer QB's despite also recruiting some pretty talented QB's. Like I said, I think it's more like OSU benching a future Heisman winner and letting him transfer after 3 years without ever seeing the field. I don't think it's coaches purposefully playing the worse player, I think that sometimes guys are better in practice but not better in the actual games. And you don't find that out until they get real playing time.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen and that we have a heisman winner, I'm just curious if we're going to see better QB play, the same kind of play or worse because the transfers were really helping us. I think next year will reveal a lot about QB development.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how ya phrase it it’s an excuse. He’s been there 5 seasons. It’s not like he just go there. You grasping to this arbitrary term as if it matters.
See above. It isn't. I am saying I'm curious because I think it will actually show if Harbaugh is developing QB's or not; which will in tern guide my opinion on moving on from Harbaugh or not.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's complicated. I don't think the players who he's played were necessarily bad. And it's curious why he's felt the need to get transfer QB's despite also recruiting some pretty talented QB's. Like I said, I think it's more like OSU benching a future Heisman winner and letting him transfer after 3 years without ever seeing the field. I don't think it's coaches purposefully playing the worse player, I think that sometimes guys are better in practice but not better in the actual games. And you don't find that out until they get real playing time.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen and that we have a heisman winner, I'm just curious if we're going to see better QB play, the same kind of play or worse because the transfers were really helping us. I think next year will reveal a lot about QB development.
Well Burrow was benched behind two Heisman caliber quarterbacks as a freshman. Slightly different situation as Patterson has never looked exceptional.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See above. It isn't. I am saying I'm curious because I think it will actually show if Harbaugh is developing QB's or not; which will in tern guide my opinion on moving on from Harbaugh or not.

How can you honestly say with a straight face if he can develop qbs or not when he’s been the coach for 5 seasons? You think it’s some magic potion if it’s a qb he recruited? That’s absurd and my whole point. The arbitrary title of “his recruit” shouldn’t matter.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because we're not good enough and in a really tough division in CFB? Mostly, we're not better than Ohio State; though we did have a shot in 2016 had we not lost to stupid Iowa.

Michigan was 3rd in the East and most likely 3rd in the West as well. They were likely fortunate to not have to play Minnesota at all, and likely fortunate they got Iowa in Ann Arbor for their (10-3) win.

The double OT (24-21) squeaker in Ann Arbor over (5-7) Army was the tell.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That could very well be it. Another thing that could be a factor is those all time greats are wired differently. They see the game in a way others can't. I can't think of a single all time great NFLer that has a successful coaching career. There has to be a couple I would think. But drawing a blank as to who that could be.
Mike Ditka comes to mind.