• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shea Patterson-Harbaugh

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After year six you can't say I want to see what he can do with his guys or guy. He's been there long enough to recruit and develop someone anyone. If he hasn't had a successful QB yet it's because he hasn't recruited or developed well (you pick which one). FYI JT Daniels might be in the portal soon.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was better, don't you think he would've been starting his own guys the whole time, rather than taking kids from elsewhere?
Sometimes the best coaching moves are forced. Guys starting because the guy ahead of them gets injured, and they turn out to be a star?

For instance, Tua probably doesn't see the field at Alabama until after this year but Hurts gets injured, and then benched behind him. OSU let a future Heisman winner sit on the bench for 3 years and then transfer to another school. Sometimes you can't see how good a kid is going to be until they actually get into the game. And Patterson was never bad enough to pull him for someone else.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After year six you can't say I want to see what he can do with his guys or guy. He's been there long enough to recruit and develop someone anyone. If he hasn't had a successful QB yet it's because he hasn't recruited or developed well (you pick which one). FYI JT Daniels might be in the portal soon.
That's exactly what I want to see. Maybe he does have a successful QB (we have 3 really talented ones on the roster). I want to see them play.

Collegefbfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this got me thinking about the bowl game the other day. Shea was throwing bombs that were too long for the WR's to catch, time and time and time again. Could the WR's see that this wasn't working? Could Shea see that this was not working? And by all means, what in the hell got in the way of Harbaugh seeing that this approach wasn't working? OK, develop a QB, recruit a QB, coach up a QB, whatever you want to call it, but that shit wasn't working. Insanity/crazy- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I don't have the answer, but I also don't get paid the amount he does to figure it out. Even with 8-10 wins next season, no B1G championship, no CFP appearance, will Harbaugh be kept around? Is his buyout too much to let him go?

Boglodyte

2 things that make life worth living, guns/cigars
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to get a new coach, and this time don’t just go after a “Michigan Man”

He cannot make any adjustments to help the team. His game plan is predictable, and recruiting ability falls way short.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this got me thinking about the bowl game the other day. Shea was throwing bombs that were too long for the WR's to catch, time and time and time again. Could the WR's see that this wasn't working? Could Shea see that this was not working? And by all means, what in the hell got in the way of Harbaugh seeing that this approach wasn't working? OK, develop a QB, recruit a QB, coach up a QB, whatever you want to call it, but that shit wasn't working. Insanity/crazy- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I don't have the answer, but I also don't get paid the amount he does to figure it out. Even with 8-10 wins next season, no B1G championship, no CFP appearance, will Harbaugh be kept around? Is his buyout too much to let him go?

The problem has definitely been in coaching, IMO, as they have great recruit on paper. Here is my two cent view of what probably happened the past 4-5 years. Harbaugh comes in with the reputation of being a QB and offensive guru. He micro manages the offense so much, that when things aren't progressing well, he finally takes the job himself. It gets even worse. He is forced to hire an offensive coordinator, and doesn't put much time into selecting one. (almost like a "you guys handle it" and I'll just sign off on it). Things still look pretty bad. Now he is deep in his coaching tenure, and has no championships to show for it. He is "0-fer" against his #1 rival, and may never recover. The coaches just haven't developed the players well enough.

I don't think Michigan can risk firing him, but on the flip side, do they want to continue the streak of losses in big games? He wins enough games, and recruits enough high end players to keep him, but the program is still stuck in the mud when it comes to REAL success. It's really a bad spot for Michigan.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His buyout isn't a problem. Michigan has plenty of money. They are just paralyzed by the fear of going back to losing seasons. Harbaugh was supposed to be a sure thing. He was going to run Meyer right out of the B1G. They aren't ready to risk that they can get something better

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His buyout isn't a problem. Michigan has plenty of money. They are just paralyzed by the fear of going back to losing seasons. Harbaugh was supposed to be a sure thing. He was going to run Meyer right out of the B1G. They aren't ready to risk that they can get something better
He has made them relevant. Not winners like they hoped but they did get to #5 this year at some point. I think the expectations for him are much higher and he hasnt taken that last step. Who can they hire that they know for sure can beat Ohio State? I think they don't have that answer for that so for now they stay the course.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes the best coaching moves are forced. Guys starting because the guy ahead of them gets injured, and they turn out to be a star?

For instance, Tua probably doesn't see the field at Alabama until after this year but Hurts gets injured, and then benched behind him. OSU let a future Heisman winner sit on the bench for 3 years and then transfer to another school. Sometimes you can't see how good a kid is going to be until they actually get into the game. And Patterson was never bad enough to pull him for someone else.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Tua took the starting spot from Hurts after coming in against UGA in the 2nd half of the NCG. Hurts then came in the following year in the SECCG when Tua got hurt, but that was still Tua's team.

You're talking about two kids that were sitting behind players that were also recruited by the head coach, though. It's been 5 years and Harbaugh has at one time started, what, 3-4 transfer QBs? Something isn't right there.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem has definitely been in coaching, IMO, as they have great recruit on paper. Here is my two cent view of what probably happened the past 4-5 years. Harbaugh comes in with the reputation of being a QB and offensive guru. He micro manages the offense so much, that when things aren't progressing well, he finally takes the job himself. It gets even worse. He is forced to hire an offensive coordinator, and doesn't put much time into selecting one. (almost like a "you guys handle it" and I'll just sign off on it). Things still look pretty bad. Now he is deep in his coaching tenure, and has no championships to show for it. He is "0-fer" against his #1 rival, and may never recover. The coaches just haven't developed the players well enough.

I don't think Michigan can risk firing him, but on the flip side, do they want to continue the streak of losses in big games? He wins enough games, and recruits enough high end players to keep him, but the program is still stuck in the mud when it comes to REAL success. It's really a bad spot for Michigan.

If they would fire JH, and I'm not suggesting they should, about the only coach I can think of to replace him with a decent resume is Les Miles. He's a UofM guy.

145-64 in 17 years. 114-34 in 12 years at LSU. 9-6 bowl record (8-4 at LSU).

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has made them relevant. Not winners like they hoped but they did get to #5 this year at some point. I think the expectations for him are much higher and he hasnt taken that last step. Who can they hire that they know for sure can beat Ohio State? I think they don't have that answer for that so for now they stay the course.
His best year was won on the backs of upperclassmen that were recruited by Hoke, and that's the problem. The team is all his now, and there's no improvement. At this point, he's proven to be a better coach than Hoke and Rich Rod, but that's not saying much. The country is basically seeing that he's not an elite coach, but michigan will keep on giving him chances because it's a self-fulfilling prophesy at this point. He was supposed to be "can't-miss", and they're gonna just hold on to that while he keeps bringing in top 10 classes and finishing 3rd in the division and playing in 3rd/4th tier bowls.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they would fire JH, and I'm not suggesting they should, about the only coach I can think of to replace him with a decent resume is Les Miles. He's a UofM guy.

145-64 in 17 years. 114-34 in 12 years at LSU. 9-6 bowl record (8-4 at LSU).

That would be step backwards IMO. Miles is pretty old now, and I think the game has passed him by (thus why he is coaching at Kansas) I don't think Michigan would have a tough time replacing Harbaugh. They have a TON of talent on that sideline and A LOT of money to throw at the top candidates. Now, if they stick with the "Michigan man" hiring process, I'm not sure who they could get that would be any better than Miles.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because we're not good enough and in a really tough division in CFB? Mostly, we're not better than Ohio State; though we did have a shot in 2016 had we not lost to stupid Iowa.

Harbaugh is paid and hyped to be better than everyone else.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s not fair. Harbaugh is only five years in and hasn’t been able to use a quarterback that he recruited. He may use one next year or there may be yet another QB that transfers in that he will start and the excuse train can roll for another year. We still haven’t seen one of his guys yet.

I wish I had Harbaugh's job......excuse my way out of failures.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be step backwards IMO. Miles is pretty old now, and I think the game has passed him by (thus why he is coaching at Kansas) I don't think Michigan would have a tough time replacing Harbaugh. They have a TON of talent on that sideline and A LOT of money to throw at the top candidates. Now, if they stick with the "Michigan man" hiring process, I'm not sure who they could get that would be any better than Miles.

Didn't take LM's age into consideration. Good point. I don't want to say UofM's stuck with JH. That makes things sound bad. But I don't think he's going anywhere anyway. Although if he has another subpar season next year feelings about him could change in ann arbor.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't take LM's age into consideration. Good point. I don't want to say UofM's stuck with JH. That makes things sound bad. But I don't think he's going anywhere anyway. Although if he has another subpar season next year feelings about him could change in ann arbor.

I don't know JH any better than anyone on this board, but I feel like Jim's ego will not take more than another mediocre season. I wouldn't be shocked if he jumped ship to the NFL in the next few weeks, and I wouldn't be shocked if he did it next year if he doesn't get a B10 championship. He is being mocked right now, and I can't imagine that his pride won't make him jump ship back to the thing that he was HIGHLY successful at (NFL coach).

We'll see. I'm not worried at all about Michigan's ability to get a good coach if Harbaugh leaves. I'm more worried about the guys who determine who that coach should be. Michigan hasn't been able to find a coach that can consistently play with OSU the past 15 years.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know JH any better than anyone on this board, but I feel like Jim's ego will not take more than another mediocre season. I wouldn't be shocked if he jumped ship to the NFL in the next few weeks, and I wouldn't be shocked if he did it next year if he doesn't get a B10 championship. He is being mocked right now, and I can't imagine that his pride won't make him jump ship back to the thing that he was HIGHLY successful at (NFL coach).

We'll see. I'm not worried at all about Michigan's ability to get a good coach if Harbaugh leaves. I'm more worried about the guys who determine who that coach should be. Michigan hasn't been able to find a coach that can consistently play with OSU the past 15 years.

I got it! I know who should be UofM's next coach. Tom Brady. :nod:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got it! I know who should be UofM's next coach. Tom Brady. :nod:

I wonder what kind of coach he would be? I can't really think of a top tier NFL player that successfully made the transition to coaching in the past 15-20 years. I imagine there is someone I'm not thinking of though.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I had Harbaugh's job......excuse my way out of failures.
Only beat the teams he has significantly more talent than and even then he consistently loses one to two of those games every year.