• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shawntae Spencer feels like the 49ers dumped him

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shawntae Spencer feels like the 49ers dumped him | ProFootballTalk

Longtime 49ers cornerback Shawntae Spencer believes he may have played his last game in San Francisco.

Spencer has been with the 49ers since they took him in the second round of the 2004 NFL draft, and he started every game in 2009 and 2010. But with the new coaching staff arriving in 2011 he lost his starting job, and he was inactive for both playoff games. Spencer says being inactive for the playoffs made him feel like a kid without a prom date.

“It’s like dating the same girl all through junior high and high school and then come senior year, she’s dating another guy,” Spencer told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I’ve played right corner since I got here.”

Spencer’s current contract runs through 2012, but he sounds like he wants to find a new date for next season.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Its pretty amazing how far he fell though.....I at least figured he'd come in before Brock when Brown went down. I'm sure the depth chart has been clear in practice, so maybe it wasn't a surprise to him, but that had to kind of accentuate the pain.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its pretty amazing how far he fell though.....I at least figured he'd come in before Brock when Brown went down. I'm sure the depth chart has been clear in practice, so maybe it wasn't a surprise to him, but that had to kind of accentuate the pain.

Agree! It would seem that as the team got better he just couldn't compete or keep up.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree! It would seem that as the team got better he just couldn't compete or keep up.

what else could it be, we haven't read anything else?

do feel for him and appreciate his service but, this happens every year, on every team. this is the natural progression and turnover from older to newer, actually worse to better.

players know they have to compete every single year.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what else could it be, we haven't read anything else?

do feel for him and appreciate his service but, this happens every year, on every team. this is the natural progression and turnover from older to newer, actually worse to better.

players know they have to compete every single year.

I thought he was injured in camp but maybe I'm thinking of Smith either way. You are correct it is the natural order of things - get better or get forgotten.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shawntae Spencer feels like the 49ers dumped him | ProFootballTalk

Longtime 49ers cornerback Shawntae Spencer believes he may have played his last game in San Francisco.

Spencer has been with the 49ers since they took him in the second round of the 2004 NFL draft, and he started every game in 2009 and 2010. But with the new coaching staff arriving in 2011 he lost his starting job, and he was inactive for both playoff games. Spencer says being inactive for the playoffs made him feel like a kid without a prom date.

“It’s like dating the same girl all through junior high and high school and then come senior year, she’s dating another guy,” Spencer told the San Francisco Chronicle. “I’ve played right corner since I got here.”

Spencer’s current contract runs through 2012, but he sounds like he wants to find a new date for next season.

Gee Shawntae, ya think?

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah he was useless to us. I was definitely surprised when he didnt come in games this year or was even active.

The good news is we wont miss him at all and he will free up a few million in cap room. I believe is set to make 3.3 million in 2012 although I am unsure of what the cap hit/dead money would be if we released or traded him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who does he think he is? u wanna get on the field, perform.