• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

7th Round - Marquiss Spencer

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21. MARQUISS SPENCER | Mississippi St. 6035 | 301 lbs. | rSR. Greenwood, Miss. (Greenwood) 7/16/1997 (age 23.79) #42
BACKGROUND: Marquiss Spencer lettered in baseball, basketball and football at Greenwood High School. He played everywhere in the front seven for the varsity. As a junior, he finished with 148 tackles, 32.0 tackles for loss, 23.0 sacks and five forced fumbles. Spencer helped lead Greenwood to the 2015 4A state championship game and finished his senior season with 145 tackles, 27.0 tackles for loss, 21.0 sacks and four forced fumbles.
A four-star defensive end recruit out of high school, Spencer was the No. 20 weakside defensive end in the 2016 class and the No. 10 recruit in Mississippi. He received interest from several SEC-level programs, but he was dialed in on Mississippi State from the start. Spencer was the third-ranked recruit in the Bulldogs’ 2016 class behind DT Jeffery Simmons and DT Kobe Jones. He graduated with his degree in interdisciplinary studies (December 2020). Spencer received an invitation to the 2021 East-West Shrine Bowl, but the event was canceled due to the pandemic.
YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS
2016: (12/0) 17 2017: (13/0) 19 2018: (4/1) 3 2019: (13/13) 37 2020: (9/9) 30 Total: (51/23) 106
TFL SACK FF
3.0 1.0 0 4.5 1.0 0 0.5 0.0 0 6.5 2.0 2 8.0 3.0 1 22.5 7.0 3
PD INT
0 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 4 1
NOTES
Missed final nine games due to a torn ACL; Medical redshirt Missed final two games due to injury
40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
4.85 2.78 1.76 31 1/2 9’3” 4.51 7.28 12
STRENGTHS: Flashes explosive bursts out of his stance...moves smoothly in small spaces to redirect and corner blocks...strong, cinder block hands to attack contact with some vinegar...keeps his hands and hips in sync as a pass rusher, introducing various rush moves...physical striker, often jarring the ball loose at contact...has developed his power and put on over 60 pounds since high school (some good weight, some bad weight)...has the unique body type and movements to play multiple positions up front...still learning how to use his power and there is untapped potential there.
WEAKNESSES: Below-average balance at contact and carries some bad weight...inconsistent gap control on the edges, giving up outside runs...struggles to sink and anchor and can be washed from lanes...needs to strike with more upward angles to leverage the point-of-attack...head ducker into contact and loses sight of the football...his effort wanes deep into plays and he started to fatigue later in the season...his production was OK, but unimpressive...had to be stretchered off the field (December 2020) and missed the final two games, but avoided major injury; Suffered a torn ACL that required surgery (September 2018), receiving a medical redshirt.
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Mississippi State, Spencer was a defensive end in former defensive coordinator Bob Shoop’s 3-3-5 base scheme, lining up inside and outside the offensive tackle. Two serious injuries over the last three years put his development off track, but he found ways to stand out on tape – both positively and negatively. With his natural frame and ability, Spencer has something to offer different schemes. However, he doesn’t play with much twitch in his attack and his pass rush moves are based more on power than any type of deception. Overall, Spencer spends too much time either on the ground or riding blocks, but the raw ingredients (size, power, athleticism) are there if he buys into NFL coaching and develops his skill set.
GRADE: 7th Round-Priority Free Agent

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I say this I like this pick just fine but my least favorite pick of the draft. This is a good thing considering he was our last pick... Not sure what to expect of him or how he best fits in. He added a lot of weight this past season. My best way to describe him might be one of those unfancy but got to have rotational guys much like a Shamar Stephen who we just signed from the Vikings. He has upside but not sure I see him as a starter down the line. That being said... That is exactly what we need on the DL right now anyway. A Demarcus Walker type only we spent a 7th rd pick on him and not a second. I'm not sure he will penetrate like Walker was able to but he can fill a role in a similar fashion.