• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SHARKS TO ACQUIRE IAN WHITE

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How will this work? The Sharks are (way?) over the cap now (adding White, subtracting Joslin)?

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that projected blueline is based on the assumption that Vlasic isn't out for an extended period time.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we gave up a 2012 second round draft pick for White. Not bad!

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because Pickles was hurt last night and didnt return to the game, so that should be of huge concern

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but DP clearly made it a point to mention on the blog that brining in White was something Dougie had been working on for a long time (way before Vlasic got hurt)...

Did it maybe rush him to pull the trigger (in case Vlasic is out for a considerable amount of time)? Possibly...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Im mixed on white... there is no doubt he should really help the PP since after Boyle, the sharks do not have a legit threat on the blueline as demers is still young and not there yet and vlasic has proven himself a solid defensive defenseman and little more. White adds a PP threat and a good shot as he has had pretty high goal totals in his career...

however, he also adds two questionable things. Tiny size and suspect defense along with a paralyzing cap hit. The sharks have been winning recently, albeit torcherously on the back of their excellent team defense. If white is not good enough in his own end, he could do more harm than good. Tmac has a big job making sure he is up to snuff defensively. Also, his 3M cap hit ends the chances of the sharks taking on an salary without moving big salary in return. So, it would see that what you see is what you get...

I like Joslin and I'm sad he never got a chance here. He is nothing really special, but I wouldnt be surprised if he develops nicely in to a bottom pairing dman in carolina with a reasonable shot who will pitch in here and there.

Overall, I'm mixed on the deal. We know they need more O from the D, but at the cost of their own zone would hurt. Could be a great deal though and white is only 26, so if it works here, he could become a long term option for dougie. a 2nd rounder in two years is not a tremendous price considering that demers and viedensky, Freddie Hamilton, Phil Varone and several other respectable prospects in the sharks system were all drafted since 2008 in the 5th round or later. (going back further has an excellent track record as well...)

We'll see...

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monkey is on the IR so theres room under the cap

Right but he doesn't make that much, does he? Nitty money + Joslin money is still less than White makes, isn't it?

Oh well, doesn't really matter... they'll figure it out.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Chango... you might get more. No doubt dougie is looking to continue upgrading the offense if possible. Wellwood and eager have been good, and obviously, the acquisition of white should help the O significantly. However, Douge cant be too thrilled being ranked 15th in GFA.

Seto and mitchell still dont seem to be key cogs in the sharks wheel. While mitchell may not have great value, he is still marketable and a good defensive forward with speed who can kill penalties. We all know that little of that is actually true right now, but at least he used to be a guy who could do that.

Seto is an RFA who is somewhat of an enigma. He's still rather young at 24, but then again, 24 isnt THAT young for a forward and he does have 250 games of NHL experience. He obviously can score as he has shown sporadically throughout his career thus far, and its fair to say that it's unlikely that he has already hit his peak. However, resigning him could cost significant dollars (at least 1.8M just to retain him) and an offer sheet at 3M would net only a 2nd rounder, and Im just not sure dougie would want to keep him at that price. The sharks top 6 for next year are already signed long term and have little chance of moving (big 3, pavs, clowe, cooch), so gooch may not get all that much playing time either moving forward. As such, I'm sure that if dougie has the chance to move seto and mitchell for a bonafide top 6 forward, I think he might. Dougie likely wouldnt deal that much for a rental (like hejduk as mentioned before), but he might target a forward nevertheless. Guys who I think he could go after include:

Hemsky, Penner, Weiss, and still possibly rentals like hejduk (but likely not for seto straight up.) I for one think Penner is also an intriguing choice. He's a pretty dominant force down low ala Byfuglien and has shown a pretty nice ability to score even in edmonton. he has a cup ring too, which is pretty nice.

Who knows what's next?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I can't believe eric johnson was had so cheaply from the blues

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can't believe eric johnson was had so cheaply from the blues

Interesting... I saw it the other way completely. Johnson is a solid Dman, no question, but he'll cost huge money after next season. Stewart, when healthy, in a 60+ pt player and shattenkirk looks like he could be an all star in time, as he started the year just 21 years old and is already among the tops in rookie scoring as a Dman. I think it will bear out quite well for the blues and I think this will hurt the avs tremendously on offense as they dont have much offensive potency left in their system (aside from hishon). Stastny already costs 6.6M, duchene costs over 3 with bonuses. Jones, galiardi, o'rielly and company are respectable top 9 forwards, but not likely to break the top 6 and all are RFA's who require raises coming up.

I guess that means it was pretty even.