• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shanahan's Inheritance on offense

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is for everybody who believes Shanahan inherited anything other than utter crap. These are the guys that played for us in 2009:

QBs- nothing noticeable since Shanahan took over
Jason Campbell- Started for OAK in 2010 but they still traded a first to get Carson Palmer. He's a backup since.
Todd Collins- Is now 42 and has been out of the league since 2010.

RB- nothing noticeable since Shanahan took over
Clinton Portis- out of the league since 2010
Ladell Betts- out of the league since 2010
Rock Cartwright- out of the league out of the league in 2012
Mike Sellars- out of the league in 2011 and was 34 when Shanahan inherited him

WR- Santana Moss is still in the league at least but was 31 when Shanahan took over
Santana Moss- Adequate #2 in 2010...has been 3 and lower since.
Antwan Randle El- out of the league in 2010
Malcom Kelly- out of the league in 2009
Devin Thomas- out of the league in 2011. 3 catches since 2009.
Marko Mitchell- out of the league in before 2010.

TE- Fred Davis is still in the NFL and Chris Cooley contributed only one year.
Chris Cooley- Basically out of the league after 2010. He had 9 catches since that point.
Fred Davis- 30 games is what he's started in 4 years. Had talent but wasted it.
Todd Yoder- out of the league in 2009

OL- only Will Montgomery is a starter today.
Chris Samuels- out of the league before 2010
Derrick Dockery- started for us in 2009. Out of the league in 2012. Started 6 games since Shanahan took over here.
Casey Rabach- out of the league after 2009.
Randy Thomas- out of the league after 2009.
Stephon Heyer- started for us. Out of the league after 2011. Started 7 games in two years after Shanahan took over.
D'anthony Batiste- out of the league. Started ten games for ARI in 2012. No other starts.
Edwin Williams- out of the league in 2012. Totalled 12 starts over 3 years.
Chad Rinehart- still in the league at least. Had one decent year...sucked all others.
Will Montgomery- still here and everyone wants him gone.

Let me sum this up for you. Out of 24 offensive players that were on our 2009 roster, only 5 are on an NFL roster, and only Will Montgomery is a non-injury starter. Jason Campbell, Chad Rinehart, Will Montgomery, Santana Moss, and Fred Davis are the only ones that had a single season where they started for a team without injuries being the reason during Shanahan's tenure.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is very depressing......

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if you look what we have added on offense since his arrival, we have 5 pro bowl caliber starters at the 5 most important positions on that side of the ball:

QB - RG3
RB - Morris
LT - Williams
#1 WR - Garcon
TE - Reed

That is a nucleus that a league leading offense can be built around for years as these guys are all young. We improve one or two positions on the OL, add a little depth, and we are set on that side of the ball. I would try and land one mid range OL in FA and then draft a OL or two for development.

The majority of our off season resources need to be spent on the Defense. We have got to replace Fletcher with a very good player. I think we have to find a seasoned vet that has proven capabilities here. This position is just too important to the success of the 3-4. Next, we have to get a FS. We can go draft or FA here but they need to have some play making ability and can range from sideline to sideline. We also have to address ROLB. Again, a critical position to any defense. I'm not sure what we do here, but most likely we re sign Rak, at least for a year. If we can fill/solidfy those 3 positions on D this off season with above average players, we will have had a very good off season and our defense will be vastly improved. We take the rest of our cap money and we sign value oriented depth across the board that can contribute to STs. WRs, LBs, secondary, linemen, etc.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I overlooked the fact that 3 of our 4 CBs (Hall, Wilson, Biggers) that play regularly will be FAs this off season. We need at least one vet. I'd like to see us re-sign Hall to a 3 year deal. He appears to finally have matured and is playing the best he has played in 5 years. I am also hopeful that between Crawford and Minnifield, one emerges as an NFL caliber CB to provide us depth and STs play.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall has one more year I believe.
I'd like to look at resigning Wilson for two more years but at 3 mil/season.
I wouldn't mind resigning Biggers but at a very low cost...close to 1 mil/season. He's a #4 on this team and shouldn't be paid at a very high rate.

I agree that we need to get another ILB but I don't think it needs to be a huge veteran presence if we keep Riley. I think Riley has had an excellent mentor and is the kind of guy who listens and learns. We need speed and size I believe but that seldom hits the market. Hopefully it does this time.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall has one more year I believe.
I'd like to look at resigning Wilson for two more years but at 3 mil/season.
I wouldn't mind resigning Biggers but at a very low cost...close to 1 mil/season. He's a #4 on this team and shouldn't be paid at a very high rate.

I agree that we need to get another ILB but I don't think it needs to be a huge veteran presence if we keep Riley. I think Riley has had an excellent mentor and is the kind of guy who listens and learns. We need speed and size I believe but that seldom hits the market. Hopefully it does this time.

Hall is a FA after this year. I'd prefer Hall to Wilson, but wilson would come cheaper. I also agree on Biggers.
Riley is also a FA after this year. We have over 15 of our own as FAs after this season. Some we will pass on, but 8-10 we need to resign, most at significant (relatively) salary increases. Much of our $32M cap space goes to re signing our own (probably about 40%).

For ILB, an interesting guy to look at is Brian Cushing. He is hurt and out for the year. I believe he is a FA. Due to his injury, he might come cheap (a fred davis situation with the excess baggage). The guy is a player when not injured. He would be a risk, but I believe his injury was a broken leg, which should heal at 100%.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hall is a FA after this year. I'd prefer Hall to Wilson, but wilson would come cheaper. I also agree on Biggers.
Riley is also a FA after this year. We have over 15 of our own as FAs after this season. Some we will pass on, but 8-10 we need to resign, most at significant (relatively) salary increases. Much of our $32M cap space goes to re signing our own (probably about 40%).

For ILB, an interesting guy to look at is Brian Cushing. He is hurt and out for the year. I believe he is a FA. Due to his injury, he might come cheap (a fred davis situation with the excess baggage). The guy is a player when not injured. He would be a risk, but I believe his injury was a broken leg, which should heal at 100%.

i dont think wilson is worth resigning . i want a bigger guy in there i agree with the needs on defense but i would add another SS to the mix . we are keeping Rak so that isnt an issue . we also need DE help

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks like you are right about Hall. I guess WARPATH isn't exactly up to date.

I think Riley is our most important FA to sign. We have nothing at ILB other than Riley.

I'm not a Cushing guy. He's been injured at the end of each of the last two seasons. I think Houston also realizes how important he is and will get him back...that is a different D without Cushing.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His injuries are a concern. I think Houston has cap issues so it's not a given they can resign him.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id like to throw out a big hell yes on signing cushing.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need something to fill in the ILB spot. Cushing could be it
I think in this spot, you don't need a playmaker. Someone who has range, speed, and is reliable.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I researched it further, it appears Houston locked him up earlier this year for a long term deal.