• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Serious question: Where to go from here?

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A "communication error" is really a lame excuse. There is no excuse for these guys to be out of position.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I"m a little worried this won't be fixable this year... We've had basically 5 meltdowns late in the 4th quarter of games, something is seriously wrong... Unless we change D coordinators I don't see this trend ending... Even a veteran group needs a good coach that call's a good game... When collapses keep happening on defense you have too look towards the coaching staff... Richard's I don't think is doing a very good job... were handing shit away right now like a charity ... A high school TE would a made that catch beating us ... NO ONE was covering him...
I think it's fixable, just hope it happens in time. Got guys like Lane coming back and that will help. Thought Wiz did a bang up job of describing the problem in the secondary, some where in one of these threads.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I"m a little worried this won't be fixable this year... We've had basically 5 meltdowns late in the 4th quarter of games, something is seriously wrong... Unless we change D coordinators I don't see this trend ending... Even a veteran group needs a good coach that call's a good game... When collapses keep happening on defense you have too look towards the coaching staff... Richard's I don't think is doing a very good job... were handing shit away right now like a charity ... A high school TE would a made that catch beating us ... NO ONE was covering him...

That specific play though, I have no idea how you put that on Richard.

The overall play of the D? Possible.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A "communication error" is really a lame excuse. There is no excuse for these guys to be out of position.
Really? If one guy in the secondary is told we are in a certain coverage and another player is told they are in a different coverage, you blame the players? Or do you blame it on the coaching staff not being able to get the players on the same page? You won't expect this on a team this good, but the new DC still has his training wheels on I guess. In the Seahawks defense, seems like they have to promote someone every year to DC, that can catch up to you.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? If one guy in the secondary is told we are in a certain coverage and another player is told they are in a different coverage, you blame the players?

How would that even work? Richard has individual conferences with each DB before the play?

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put it on both coaches and players but more on the coaches. Were I the owner, I would fire the defensive coordinator just to put everyone on notice. Sometimes things have to be shaken up.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put it on both coaches and players but more on the coaches. Were I the owner, I would fire the defensive coordinator just to put everyone on notice. Sometimes things have to be shaken up.

And that would make you a shvtty owner. Thanks for not being the owner. :)

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would that even work? Richard has individual conferences with each DB before the play?

They radio in the assignments and coverages to the mlb, and signal them from the sideline in case someone doesn't get the call from him. They're saying that the call to the mlb was for c-3 and the call from the sidelines was for c-2.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over reaction IMO. KR is the third DC in what 4 years? Not easy replacing that position. KR is still learning, since he was the secondary coach while the secondary was excelling you got to think he is some what on the ball, this was just a big step up. Still feel it will come together, just taking a bit to long is all. Next few games will make or break the Seahawks and even if they break,next year should be better IMO. It's not they have a bunch of over the hill players on the roster.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They radio in the assignments and coverages to the mlb, and signal them from the sideline in case someone doesn't get the call from him. They're saying that the call to the mlb was for c-3 and the call from the sidelines was for c-2.

I just read Stone's ST article about it, and he says both 'thought' a different call had been made. Has that been confirmed?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read Stone's ST article about it, and he says both 'thought' a different call had been made. Has that been confirmed?

That was Carrolls explanation on B&S this morning.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's fixable, just hope it happens in time. Got guys like Lane coming back and that will help. Thought Wiz did a bang up job of describing the problem in the secondary, some where in one of these threads.

I hope your right.... I really do...

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That specific play though, I have no idea how you put that on Richard.

The overall play of the D? Possible.

It's not from just that one play... It's from basically 5, 4th quarter defensive meltdowns this season so far... The Detroit game we escaped with a collapse... So I count 5 ... Something is wrong...

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not from just that one play... It's from basically 5, 4th quarter defensive meltdowns this season so far... The Detroit game we escaped with a collapse... So I count 5 ... Something is wrong...

What's wrong? It starts with the offense. I don't believe you should rely on the defense all the time to bail you out of games, it worked in the past because the offense was still able to make a couple of plays here and there to burn the clock or make a crucial play or a crucial first down to put teams away. Unfortunately this year's offense is so bad that you put your defense at an advantage and in particular late in games because they're gassed out at that point.

If you want to see the common thread between the Bengals and Panthers games, you don't have to look far. 1st downs and 3rd down conversions, they are almost a mirror image as you can get.

vs Bengals:
16 first downs (27 for Bengals)
5-13 3rd down conversions (6-15 for Bengals)
57 total plays (79 total plays for Bengals)

vs Panthers
14 first downs (25 for Panthers)
4-11 3rd down conversions (4-14)
60 total plays (72)

The inability to move the chains not only put the offense at a disadvantage because they can't string drives together it also put the defense on the field more and it will cost you late in games.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something is wrong...

Absolutely. I think it's an open question as to what that something is though.

If you go back and read the article from the pre-season about the Hawaii trip, you can read it differently if you think, 'did it really fix whatever the personality conflict issues they were talking about?'

There's a LOT of strong personalities on this team.

There's been some scant rumours of divisions in the locker room.

Maybe there's more there than we know?

To me though, it's probably overly simplistic to put it on Richard. Don't get me wrong, Richard COULD BE the problem. But in the same way I'm contemptuous of 'Fire Bevell he sux!' every day, I'd like to give Richard the benefit of the doubt at least till season's end.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's wrong? It starts with the offense. I don't believe you should rely on the defense all the time to bail you out of games, it worked in the past because the offense was still able to make a couple of plays here and there to burn the clock or make a crucial play or a crucial first down to put teams away. Unfortunately this year's offense is so bad that you put your defense at an advantage and in particular late in games because they're gassed out at that point.

If you want to see the common thread between the Bengals and Panthers games, you don't have to look far. 1st downs and 3rd down conversions, they are almost a mirror image as you can get.

vs Bengals:
16 first downs (27 for Bengals)
5-13 3rd down conversions (6-15 for Bengals)
57 total plays (79 total plays for Bengals)

vs Panthers
14 first downs (25 for Panthers)
4-11 3rd down conversions (4-14)
60 total plays (72)

The inability to move the chains not only put the offense at a disadvantage because they can't string drives together it also put the defense on the field more and it will cost you late in games.

O has had some issues also, no doubt... But the D keeps blowing coverages and it's getting frustrating ... How many times are we gonna watch this defense disappear in the 4th quarter? How many blown coverages ? It's like we're a different defense once the game is on the line ... Carolina had a 2nd and 19 on that last drive and we give up easy as pie... Yes our O needs to help, but regardless WTF is wrong with our defense always being out of position or giving up easy plays in the 4th... Our defense sucks right now when games are on the line ... Pathetic actually

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O has had some issues also, no doubt... But the D keeps blowing coverages and it's getting frustrating ... How many times are we gonna watch this defense disappear in the 4th quarter? How many blown coverages ? It's like we're a different defense once the game is on the line ... Carolina had a 2nd and 19 on that last drive and we give up easy as pie... Yes our O needs to help, but regardless WTF is wrong with our defense always being out of position or giving up easy plays in the 4th... Our defense sucks right now when games are on the line ... Pathetic actually

Like I said, there are a couple of things here and I'm not making any excuses for the way this defense has been playing late in games.

1) They're gassed out because the offense continually put them on the field.
2) Trust issues on the secondary.

I tend to lean towards number 2. Because I believe the culprit in all of this is Cary Williams, him getting beat plays after plays put a lot of stress on the secondary and they have to change their dominant style of playing. You simply don't go from a C3 to a C2 cover for no reason when C3 has been your bread and butter.

Secondly, Chancellor's missing the preseason is really hurting us, he's supposed to be putting the hurt on the TE's and if you already notice, the opponents TE's are what killing this team this season. Again, this goes back to Williams needing help and that's probably where you see our FS and SS go. This leaves the middle of the field wide open.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the Superbowl...

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a question for you. This is a Seahawk board, Seahawks fans come here to talk amoung our selves. Lots of us post on the NFL general board to talk with other fans of other teams. Why are you camping out here?
Cause I live in the PNW and consider this the local team that I follow...hard to understand? Not terribly bright then...

I offer a valid point of view that you grippers can't tolerate but is factual. You all have to resort to name calling and cursing...so elementary school. Get over it. Must be hard to go thru life like that

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh... uh-huh, like you're Mr. manners.